St James' Park

Delima

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Will all of this branding need to be removed for the Olympics next year?

I'd imagine so yes.

Why would it have to be removed? More publicity for SD surely.

It has to be removed, as the Olympics has its own set sponsors (just like the World Cup).

Guest johnson293

I'd imagine so yes.

It has to be removed, as the Olympics has its own set sponsors (just like the World Cup).

Excellent! Hopefully if he has to cover/paint over the logo on the Gallowgate roof, then he'll think twice about putting it back.

I'd imagine so yes.

Excellent! Hopefully if he has to cover/paint over the logo on the Gallowgate roof, then he'll think twice about putting it back.

The taxpayer is paying for the removal/replacement.

Yes. When I do work for the Olympics I have to remove all sponsorship names from the report, so the Ricoh Stadium becomes City of Coventry Stadium, and the O2 Arena becomes the North Greenwich Arena. St. James' Park is still called that as far as London 2012 is concerned.

Yes. When I do work for the Olympics I have to remove all sponsorship names from the report, so the Ricoh Stadium becomes City of Coventry Stadium, and the O2 Arena becomes the North Greenwich Arena. St. James' Park is still called that as far as London 2012 is concerned.

It's still called that by everyone with the exception of a few dozy jounalists, a few agitating mackems and other assorted idiots.

No amount of sponsorship money from anyone or anything will ever change that to the people of Newcastle or Newcastle fans.

Personally I think the sign is iconic, after all, every new signing, pitch side report etc is done with it in the background despite the fact that it is a far inferior stand. I would be really disappointed if it's going to be permanently removed as is everyone else I've told about it.

Personally I think the sign is iconic

Too right. Anything other than refurbishment and the same thing going back up would be immensely distasteful and disgraceful.

Which of course would be par for the course with Ashley.

It annoys me because it's not in the best interest of the club at all, it doesn't benefit the club  or help us command more money in the slightest. This is just mike Ashley seizing a chance to get sports direct Ingrained into everyones mind, pointless excerise

A few seasons ago when there was talk of Local Hero been dropped as the team came out nufc.com refused to get involved saying words along the lines of it having no sentimental relevance and was just a piece of meaningless music. Most ordinary fans did feel it had become part of the fabric of the club and match experience and it was retained.  Funny that .com has taken up the name sign story with such zeal.

It's debatable but I'd say the song was more symbolic than the sign, but both are important to us.  I hope the new sign retains strong Newcastle symbolism but with it being in such a prominent position for TV cameras it will be vulnerable to some kind of marketing pitch. I hope they resist the temptation.

Guest guinness_fiend

I cannot be bothered to read thirtyish pages of presumably anti-Ashley propaganda, but can someone please confirm if there is any evidence (other than unsubstantiated rumours) to back up the claim that the sign is not just simply being refurbished during the international break.

I cannot be bothered to read thirtyish pages of presumably anti-Ashley propaganda, but can someone please confirm if there is any evidence (other than unsubstantiated rumours) to back up the claim that the sign is not just simply being refurbished during the international break.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/toon_fans_concern_over_letters_removal_1_3734326

TOON fans have been stunned after a picture appeared on the internet showing a famous sign being dismantled at St James’s Park.

The picture, showing the ‘Newcastle United’ lettering being removed from the roof of the East Stand, was posted on popular fans’ website nufc.com today.

Newcastle United bosses have confirmed that the sign is coming down, but say it will be replaced with new, identical lettering.

However, a club spokesman said they were unable to confirm or deny mounting speculation that commercial signage promoting owner Mike Ashley’s company, Sports Direct, would be added to the stand.

Steve Wraith, editor of Newcastle United fanzine Toon Talk, said: “It is sad to see a piece of history being dismantled.

“It has been there for a lot of years and means a lot to the fans.

“I broke the news on Twitter six weeks ago that it was coming down.

“It will be interesting to see what they replace it with. I do hope it is nothing commercial.”

The ‘Newcastle United’ lettering has been on the roof of the East Stand for many years.

Last season, Ashley angered supporters by having a giant Sports Direct logo added to the roof of the Gallowgate End.

The bit in bold is quite telling imo - you could say that you wouldn't be surprised if there are Sports Direct signs in the end (what I think) or you could say that it's simply maintenance and people are reading too much into it.

Guest guinness_fiend

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/toon_fans_concern_over_letters_removal_1_3734326

TOON fans have been stunned after a picture appeared on the internet showing a famous sign being dismantled at St James’s Park.

The picture, showing the ‘Newcastle United’ lettering being removed from the roof of the East Stand, was posted on popular fans’ website nufc.com today.

Newcastle United bosses have confirmed that the sign is coming down, but say it will be replaced with new, identical lettering.

However, a club spokesman said they were unable to confirm or deny mounting speculation that commercial signage promoting owner Mike Ashley’s company, Sports Direct, would be added to the stand.

Steve Wraith, editor of Newcastle United fanzine Toon Talk, said: “It is sad to see a piece of history being dismantled.

“It has been there for a lot of years and means a lot to the fans.

“I broke the news on Twitter six weeks ago that it was coming down.

“It will be interesting to see what they replace it with. I do hope it is nothing commercial.”

The ‘Newcastle United’ lettering has been on the roof of the East Stand for many years.

Last season, Ashley angered supporters by having a giant Sports Direct logo added to the roof of the Gallowgate End.

The bit in bold is quite telling imo - you could say that you wouldn't be surprised if there are Sports Direct signs in the end (what I think) or you could say that it's simply maintenance and people are reading too much into it.

Indeed, as in journalist speak, "a club spokesman" can be anyone from the tea lady to the chap who scrapes chewing gum off the bottom of the seats.  And "unable to confirm or deny" is commonly used when someone has said "no comment" or simply, "I haven't a clue."  There's nothing tangible in that sentence whatsoever, although I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true.  I was just curious if any official statement (or proper evidence) had been unearthed.

Btw the thread is from 2007, 11 pages were already here before the current discussion.

Ta - twentyish pages it is then :p As an aside, when thread titles are updated, is it worth adding something along the lines of "(current discussion from page X)" so that people don't have to schlep through the entire thread to get up-to-date?