St James' Park

Delima

4 hours ago, Anderson said:

October ‘09! Hadn’t realised it had been planned for so long.

October 2009 was when the original building for the site, a round building called 'Strawberry Place' was first planned. That proposal fell through, and the space remained empty and dormant for many years. The current Home Group HQ Office Block, was proposed only recently and construction (as can be seen) is now well underway.

There are also big plans for the site next door to this, where the St James' Park Metro Station Car Park (now fenced off) used to be. The designs proposed for the four new buildings on the Metro Station site have (I think) changed again recently . . . 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/one-st-james-st-james’-metro-station-car-park-newcastle-various-approved.1406356/post-138900774

Edited by manorpark

That’s disgusting. How did we as a fanbase just let this happen? No need for anyone to answer that by the way I know we’re cucked.

Btw those buildings are ugly as fuck. Newcastle has some lovely architecture and is ruining itself with all this glass and cladding shite.

Edited by Rafalove

5 hours ago, Rafalove said:

That’s disgusting. How did we as a fanbase just let this happen? 

Honestly? As a collective fanbase we're weak. We've let Ashley batter us for 13 years now, two relegations, selling off land that prevents us from ever expanding SJP and lying to us time and time again yet hes still here getting an easy ride and 50k most home games. Its a joke. Not every club would have done better but there are some in the Premier League and throughout Europe that would have driven him out years ago. 

11 hours ago, Stifler said:

In the official planning documents they were supportive, but on social media they have been jumping on the backlash bandwagon.

Aside from being next to SJP there is nothing special about the Strawberry. It is a dirty pub that sells generic beers in a building that is virtually identical to every other pub in the U.K.

I guess offices around them might give them more trade, probably wouldn’t really be against it?

We’re getting some work done in our house at the moment and one of the trades has done work at SJP in the past and has been approached to do work at the training ground. He’s been told that Benton has 10M earmarked for improvements. Nowts been signed and I don’t imagine 10M would go that far in the big scheme. Apparently there are tenders out for other work. 

I’d be tempted to call bullshit but he seems absolutely genuine; he’s done a cracking job for us as well.

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

We’re getting some work done in our house at the moment and one of the trades has done work at SJP in the past and has been approached to do work at the training ground. He’s been told that Benton has 10M earmarked for improvements. Nowts been signed and I don’t imagine 10M would go that far in the big scheme. Apparently there are tenders out for other work. 

I’d be tempted to call bullshit but he seems absolutely genuine; he’s done a cracking job for us as well.

e72a0961ee4cd1f447897b2d797e7dc4--street

18 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Obviously takeover related...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, ToonTastic said:

Be interesting to see if our new owners go down the terracing route to increase capacity even by a small amount.

Yeah I was thinking this earlier.

21 minutes ago, ToonTastic said:

Be interesting to see if our new owners go down the terracing route to increase capacity even by a small amount.

Does it increase capacity? I thought it just replaced a seat with another 'standing seat'?

I hope the East Stand signs are changed by next weekend. Or at the very least the awful current version is taken down.

10 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Pretty sure it increases capacity

Nah, not with the legislation that the government and Premier League are coming out with, it’s a 1 for 1 basis with a possibility of increasing to 2-1 in the coming years.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Nah, not with the legislation that the government and Premier League are coming out with, it’s a 1 for 1 basis with a possibility of increasing to 2-1 in the coming years.

Still opens us to the option quicker if we start now.

I think we should get as much pictures as possible of SJP in the current form and state and as the changes/improvements happen, we'll be able to see the before and after changes. Guess our first opporrunity will be the Spurs game. Might even be some nice changes done even before that since the new owners will there.

Devastated this has happened 18 months too late, with the precious land needed to extend St James' sold off cheaply to Ashley's chums. Guess we're now trapped in what may eventually be one of the smaller Premier League grounds.

Edited by Turnbull2000