St James' Park

Delima

Never had that experience but aye, I can imagine it. Didn't even realise you can see it from a northbound train, I'm always looking down the river at the bridges with that swelling heart you get when you're back :)

Edited by OpenC

7 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Never had that experience but aye, I can imagine it. Didn't even realise you can see it from a northbound train, I'm always looking down the river at the bridges with that swelling heart you get when you're back :)

You have to be on the other side (left in direction of travel)  and it's probs about 10secs, come under a road bridge/tunnel and just before it straightens on to the bridge.

22 minutes ago, loki679 said:

No residents if we buy all the houses. 

Not to go down a boring planning rabbit hole to a jokey suggestion but even if nobody was living in them, be it through lack of demand or artificially engineered by an owner (as suggested), they would still remain residential in use and would be assessed as such with the same weight. 

To remove any direct residential amenity consideration you would have to fundamentally change the use of the Terrace entirely. And changing the use of a Grade I listed building from the use it was originally intended and designed for for is an extremely difficult thing to do, even when a building is falling apart and unviable, never mind when it's well used and in good condition. It would a bit like like trying to turn St Paul's Cathedral into a giant softplay when it gets 2 million visitors a year. 

I don't think people quite realise what a huge constraint LT is to development of that side. And indeed should be, tbh. Newcastle is about more than a football stadium as much as we all love it. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

It's when you're on the train with away fans and you come round the corner on the Gateshead end of the King Edward Bridge and you hear them "Look at that!".

Aye love being on the train when you cross the Tyne and people are gawping out the windows unexpectedly in awe and telling others to look.

As crazy as this Sounds, playing away from SJP for 18-24 months while a new ground is built on SJP is probably the right call from location standpoint. Or taking down one stand and doing it again. Shame we don’t have more space around the stadium, remotely - like Liverpool are doing to redevelop Anfield.  

I’m sure if there’s a way to redevelop the current location then they’ll find it and pay over the odds to do it. As long as they do a good job and make it top class and once again the jewel in the city then it’ll get local gov backing. Blocking light of leazes shouldn’t matter, it didn’t for the strawberry. 

9 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I’m sure if there’s a way to redevelop the current location then they’ll find it and pay over the odds to do it. As long as they do a good job and make it top class and once again the jewel in the city then it’ll get local gov backing. Blocking light of leazes shouldn’t matter, it didn’t for the strawberry. 

Strawberry isnt listed tho but

The Strawberry has no protection whatsoever and could be knocked down tomorrow if the owners wanted to. It's also not residential. 

Leazes Terrace is Grade I listed and is resi. 

Edited by ponsaelius

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The Strawberry has no protection whatsoever and could be knocked down tomorrow if the owners wanted to. It's also not residential. 

Leazes Terrace is Grade I listed and is resi. 

Knock the cunt down after their HBA/Pardew crack.

Not sure you can quite compare the pub with some of the finest classical architecture in the country but I do agree that on a cultural level it's a bit crazy that there's nothing stopping the Strawberry being flattened. Don't even think it is locally listed. 

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Not sure you can quite compare the pub with some of the finest classical architecture in the country but I do agree that on a cultural level it's a bit crazy that there's nothing stopping the Strawberry being flattened. Don't even think it is locally listed. 

Honestly fuck it. Bar Loco is the real fans pub near SJP.

They stood when others refused

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

But the people who run The Strawberry aren't even the owners of the site itself - they're just tenants. There's been a pub on that site since middle of 19c.

Their sacrifice will be noted

Wonder how long the Sports Direct shite will still be plastered all over the stadium, wasn’t there some talk last year that as part of the deal the signage would remain?

Even if they could just get it down off the East Stand for now, hate how it ruins the Newcastle United lettering. Probably be there rest of this season I guess

34 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Isn’t there talk of east stand becoming the sir Bobby Robson stand, could get the classic font back with his name on the stand. 

Hope not. Much though Bobby was an extraordinarily decent man and an excellent manager, Joe Harvey's name should come first if we're talking about renaming stands.