St James' Park

Delima

My problem was never that there was advertising in SJP, it's the cheap, tacky nature of the SD brand, the fact that it was plastered on every blank space in the stadium and not a penny made from it.

In an ideal world SJP wouldn't ordain any advertising other than the usual hoardings, but let's be realistic here, we need some heavy investment and to legitimise that kind of money we will need to explore all avenues. As long as it is tasteful, sporadic and of adequate size then it's it's best we can hope for.

25 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Possibly an extreme example, but if the big SD signs in the Leazes, Gallowgate, and either side of Newcastle United are just replaced with Visit Saudi (just for example) that's going to be sound with everyone because it'll be paid for?

That's hugely eyeopening for me tbh, I always thought the fact Ashley didn't pay for it was a secondary issue to the fact it made SJP look cheap and shit. 

It was objectionable because a) It's a horrible, cheap and tacky brand whose logo looks awful, and b) because NUFC were not being paid a penny for it. If Ashley had paid for it in the proper manner then people would have tolerated it. Renaming the stadium with the SD name in it was a step too far though, and that was due to the tackiness of the brand.

All this talk is getting boring. Where is the live feed of the signage removal? I want to chuck a few quid in to get the feed. Can't we pay the stadium security guy or something for that stadium camera feed?

Can't wait for the players tunnel entrance to be rid of the SD signs. 

Edited by nufcjb

Sports Direct is low end tat. Synonymous with our club for the past 14 years. The removal of these signs is symbolic of the new hope we now have, the equivalent of changing out of our prison clothes. It’s fucking magic to see.   

17 minutes ago, Wandy said:

It was objectionable because a) It's a horrible, cheap and tacky brand whose logo looks awful, and b) because NUFC were not being paid a penny for it. If Ashley had paid for it in the proper manner then people would have tolerated it. Renaming the stadium with the SD name in it was a step too far though, and that was due to the tackiness of the brand.

I mean that's fine if you're speaking for yourself but that's not how I see it. Would be interesting to know what the majority feeling is about it all tbh. 

I wouldn't mind signage for new sponsors going up around the stadium, but we really should keep the Newcastle United sign on the East Stand free from any sponsor signage. Those were the most offensive SD ones for me.

Edited by steve_69

4 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

I wouldn't mind signage for new sponsors going up around the stadium, but we really should keep the Newcastle United sign on the East Stand free from any sponsor signage

I'll add, all the roof needs to be free of any signage. Possibly you can put some underneath the big screen. But not as big or in the same position as the SD one. And please please please keep the tunnel free of any advertising.

Edited by nufcjb

7 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

I wouldn't mind signage for new sponsors going up around the stadium, but we really should keep the Newcastle United sign on the East Stand free from any sponsor signage. Those were the most offensive SD ones for me.

This plus the Gallowgate one.

I have absolutely no issue with tasteful advertising within the stadium that is sold at market value and benefits the team on the pitch. Ideally any design scheme (including both sponsors and club lettering) should also, predominantly, keep the colour scheme of the club as priority. 

My primary issue with the Sports Direct was always the fact it looked atrocious and tacky, dominated over the black and white of NUFC and that it did not financially benefit the club in any way. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Biggest issue for me was the sheer abundance of it, and the fact it looked crap. That it wasn't paid for was obviously awful too but definitely the secondary issue for me. 

I desperately hope the East Stand and Gallowgate fascias are left relatively untouched. There's plenty opportunities for advertising without being totally obnoxious about it.

It was the whole package that came with Ashley though, it's definitely not just the signs themselves. The SD signs reminded you every time you saw them of the neglect, hatred and tackiness of Ashley and his brands. 

If we were competing at the top end of the table, winning stuff and being Champions League regulars, I highly doubt people would be as against the SD signs would be as hated as they are. 

The SD signage was, for me, objectionable mainly because we received nothing for it. And even if we did, or when we did towards the end, you just knew MA was taking the money back out the other side again somehow.

Although it's a shit brand, I'd have been OK with it if it had bought us a few players here and there. Having it on places like the front of the East Stand and the roof of the Gallowgate was just awful though. He was just trying to cover every square inch of the place for the minimum possible cost because that's the kind of cheapskate he is.

4 minutes ago, LV said:

It was the whole reason he bought the club tbh

The advertising 

It's certainly what we became, just a glorified advertising hoarding whose sole purpose was to exist in the PL so that he could get maximum exposure for his tat emporium with minimal outlay.

Just now, Chris_R said:

It's certainly what we became, just a glorified advertising hoarding whose sole purpose was to exist in the PL so that he could get maximum exposure for his tat emporium with minimal outlay.

Absolutely. We were no longer a sporting entity, just part of Sports Direct existing purely to serve the needs of SD