St James' Park

Delima

11 minutes ago, madras said:

We may have the wealthiest owners but even they'll have a limit to what they'll want to spend.

On players? Perhaps due to age, contracts n etc. These people want the best in terms of buildings and infrastructure. Hiring the best engineers or architects that maybe are already on their payroll won't be so much of an issue. Only thing is, which avenue do they wish to go down in order to get the best worth for their money.

It should be possible to expand SJP to 70k or so even with the constraints of leases terrace.

The yellow wall at dortmund is c.25k behind the goal. Why couldn’t we have that behind each goal? We’re then at 50k plus milburn and east stand.

Another idea could be to demolish the east stand completely and build it back as the corporate hospitality area with the boxes effectively stacked on top of each other meaning the stand doesn’t have to take such a large footprint. Maybe then put a giant screen on top of it

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Would we go to SOL for a season or two until the ground is redeveloped, I think the idea of twisting it 90 degrees and moving closer to Barrack Road is probably the best idea

This would be hilarious mind! Imagine the only time Sunderland were getting sell out crowds was when Newcastle were playing their home games there [emoji38]

It's just a shame we can just buy their unused upper tier off them and stick it on top of the Gallowgate. Would be nice if it was so straightforward.

Edited by Wallsendmag

5 hours ago, Johnny said:

Which forest are we being moved to like?

Does gosforth park actually have the space for a large scale development as obviously the Reuben links keep being mentioned.

16 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yes, I Photoshop

I can't see this working, did a little messing around with photosho too, I tried to line things up the way they had and it still seems to go right through the terrace.

yoNDz7u.jpg

20 minutes ago, Kazzie said:

I can't see this working, did a little messing around with photosho too, I tried to line things up the way they had and it still seems to go right through the terrace.

yoNDz7u.jpg

I wonder if this plan would work with the East Stand side replaced with a stand the height of the present Gallowgate?

The present East Stand only holds about 5,200, so with roughly 9,000 more seats on the East side plus the extra tier (7,000ish) on the Gallowgate end, you're looking at an increase in capacity of maybe 15-16,000.

People (imo) are kidding themselves if the think that the owners will look to do work on the east stand as the logistics and cost will be horrendous even if they could do something. Can’t see the owners wanting to have a season playing at another ground either. The cost for a few 000s extra seats in the Gallowgate makes it probably not worth extending either (those plans have been discussed going back to the Hall/Shepherd era and it’s been counted as not a cost effective solution).

I know people disagree, but seems to me the best option would be to build a new 70-80000 stadium within the city centre limits. This would also open commercial revenue streams via increased concerts. The way St James’ is set, it is a no go for a lot of the big acts due to stage restrictions. 

it will be minimum of 2-5 years before any plans are put into place anyway as obviously the training ground/academy will be first port of call. Obviously something will have to be done as tickets will be like gold dust moving forward. Going to be interesting though to see what they do actually decide to do.

Edited by et tu brute

56 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

People (imo) are kidding themselves if the think that the owners will look to do work on the east stand as the logistics and cost will be horrendous even if they could do something. Can’t see the owners wanting to have a season playing at another ground either. The cost for a few 000s extra seats in the Gallowgate makes it probably not worth extending either (those plans have been discussed going back to the Hall/Shepherd era and it’s been counted as not a cost effective solution).

I know people disagree, but seems to me the best option would be to build a new 70-80000 stadium within the city centre limits. This would also open commercial revenue streams via increased concerts. The way St James’ is set, it is a no go for a lot of the big acts due to stage restrictions. 

it will be minimum of 2-5 years before any plans are put into place anyway as obviously the training ground/academy will be first port of call. Obviously something will have to be done as tickets will be like gold dust moving forward. Going to be interesting though to see what they do actually decide to do.

Is there such a site within the city centre limits?

Perhaps the site of the (soon to be old) arena but that area is earmarked for housing, etc, as far as I understand it, plus it just wouldn’t be the same.

8 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

Perhaps the site of the (soon to be old) arena but that area is earmarked for housing, etc, as far as I understand it, plus it just wouldn’t be the same.

Earmarked but that can change. I wonder if the gap between the Redheugh Bridge and King Eddie railway bridge close to the arena would be big enough ?

11 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

It wouldn't be the same, but it could be better in many ways.

Until the (Arena) land is built on, it's probably available to those that are prepared to pay for it.

19 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

I'm not familiar with Newcastle's Development Plan but it doesn't seem to be designated, nothing to stop us from buying the site and applying for a stadium on there.

Not within the city centre limits but Hunters Moor maybe? If the Freemen would allow Castle Leazes why not Hunters Moor? Walkable from the city centre and It would resolve all of the potential heritage impact issues with Leazes Park that Castle Leazes has.

Edited by Jackie Broon

9 minutes ago, TomYam said:

It wouldn't be the same, but it could be better in many ways.

Until the (Arena) land is built on, it's probably available to those that are prepared to pay for it.

It could look great next to the river and with new infrastructure built around it. It would be a spectacular sight for people arriving via train over the bridge and if we incorporated a big glass window behind one end, similar to some of these American stadiums you would have a stunning view of the bridges from inside the stadium.

This is my preferred choice of site, but whether there’s enough land I don’t know.

3 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

Where’s this rumour come from PIF purchased leazes terrace over a year ago?

I believe that a Middle Eastern investment company has bought the southerly half of Leazes Terrace. This fund is not thought to be PIF. The northerly half of Leazes Terrace (facing the park) comprise individually owned private apartments, while the southerly half (facing the East Stand) are student occupied. Not sure what the intentions of the new owners are, but will clearly involve refurbishment. One things for sure - if the club moves to a new site, these apartments would become highly desirable.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Build a new stadium on Castle Leazes and develop the land that we currently occupy to extend the city centre. I can see the Reubens rubbing their hands at such an opportunity.

The club don't own the land. Also, most or all of it would probably need to be made into a park to offset the impact on Leazes Park. There probably isn't enough space on Castle Leazes to build a stadium without using some of Leazes Park.

24 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I'm not familiar with Newcastle's Development Plan but it doesn't seem to be designated, nothing to stop us from buying the site and applying for a stadium on there.

Not within the city centre limits but Hunters Moor maybe? If the Freemen would allow Castle Leazes why not Hunters Moor? Walkable from the city centre and It would resolve all of the potential heritage impact issues with Leazes Park that Castle Leazes has.

I totally understand why folk are struggling to countenance a move from St.James's, but why move to Hunter's Moor? The Town Moor is totally unique and the visual, infrastructural and environmental impact of placing a new stadium there would be unacceptably great. If we're going to move home, a stadium on the Arena site would be visually stunning (from the river), has good infastructure that could be enhanced further to the betterment of the city, and the local environment would be improved immeasurably.

7 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

The club don't own the land. Also, most or all of it would probably need to be made into a park to offset the impact on Leazes Park. There probably isn't enough space on Castle Leazes to build a stadium without using some of Leazes Park.

Use Leazes Park as a connection. integrate it into the city. It'll be a lot more popular with a whole new load of shops right next door.

5 minutes ago, TomYam said:

I totally understand why folk are struggling to countenance a move from St.James's, but why move to Hunter's Moor? The Town Moor is totally unique and the visual, infrastructural and environmental impact of placing a new stadium there would be unacceptably great. If we're going to move home, a stadium on the Arena site would be visually stunning (from the river), has good infastructure that could be enhanced further to the betterment of the city, and the local environment would be improved immeasurably.

I agree, I only meant if Castle Leazes and the arena site are not viable, they would both be preferable options.

52 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It could look great next to the river and with new infrastructure built around it. It would be a spectacular sight for people arriving via train over the bridge and if we incorporated a big glass window behind one end, similar to some of these American stadiums you would have a stunning view of the bridges from inside the stadium.

This is my preferred choice of site, but whether there’s enough land I don’t know.

This photo shows how much space there is in and around the Newcastle Arena Site, which will become available after the Arena moves to the new NewcastleGateshead Quays Arena Site . . . Forth_Goods_Yard_and_Newcastle_Arena_-_A

Here is what a new NUFC Stadium could look like after construction on the above site . . .

Re-location_idea_for_St_James_Park_to_Ar