St James' Park

Delima

59 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’m pretty sure the last expansion started during the 99/00 season and was ready for the start of 00/01.

98/99 - Wimbledon was the first time I recall seeing poles preparing for the extension/roof off at the back of the Leazes

Know it was a lot easier but pre extension pretty much rebuilding the whole ground for only the loss of half the capacity in the Gallowgate for half a season was some planning by the then regime I find looking back

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Recall reading there were more season tickets holders living in Gateshead than in Newcastle. Given the whole NewcastleGateshead marketing,  perhaps build a newbie, if we must, near Gateshead Stadium? Whadayasay?  

Probably down to how the City of Newcastle is cut short North of the Tyne by North Tyneside and Northumberland.

How will an expanded Gallowgate in the mirror image of the Leazes end change the atmosphere ? The Gallowgate end significantly creates a better atmosphere due to its lower roof, but this could be down to the more vocal fans being in that end also. I would worry though that the atmosphere would suffer with the current  structure just simply continued around to the Gallowgate.

Expansion is a must, but the current Leazes development has never been conducive to creating a good atmosphere and keeping noise in the ground.

I think a move should only be consdidered if the current stadium is somehow holding up our progression as a club, but I dont see how that would happen tbh. St James' is iconic and should be expanded where possible.

I don’t think we should be even thinking about moving until this project is properly established and we’re winning things. Waaaaaaay too early to even think about the possibility, let alone discuss it. 

St James’s is our heart and soul. You don’t rip that out lightly and probably not at all. 

Edited by LV

We are half a season into new owners and we have new players/new manager/new director of football/upgraded training ground facilities/new sponsors.

All this in that time and we've done nothing of note as yet(ok staying up was pretty massive)

There may be a time in the future where we are consistently successful and a new stadium is a must. For now an upgraded/expanded St James would be absolutely fine.

32 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

How will an expanded Gallowgate in the mirror image of the Leazes end change the atmosphere ? The Gallowgate end significantly creates a better atmosphere due to its lower roof, but this could be down to the more vocal fans being in that end also. I would worry though that the atmosphere would suffer with the current  structure just simply continued around to the Gallowgate.

Expansion is a must, but the current Leazes development has never been conducive to creating a good atmosphere and keeping noise in the ground.

Atmosphere sounded comfortably the best in all of our home wins under Howe, peaking versus Arsenal. Get more fans in the ground supporting this team that tries and these owners who are striving to be the best form of NUFC every year and our atmosphere will never falter - we aren't like any other club or any other type of fanbase. You know that. 

55 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Simple’s , along with the extension make half of the gallowgate (safe standing) 

looks / sounds fantastic at Celtic 

7 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I think the idea of the glass wall above the east stand joining the two stands would keep a lot of noise in 

3 hours ago, Bompeter said:

Are you actually from the area? I genuinely cannot fathom how a local could countenance that sort of cultural vandalism. Makes me sick in fact. 

Its bait man.

35 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

I'm all for safe standing, but I don't think it will increase the capacity by much, and potentially not at all - you'd still need a seat and a rail.

26 minutes ago, madras said:

Its bait man.

Well, tongue in cheek. This is the SJP/Gallowgate of my youth which I can feel sad to have lost, but at the same time I’m really glad too 🤷‍♂️

4811F8FE-D007-4AF6-8976-00F62B384A87.jpeg.94388c43a881ec56bd5b0b9ff92338e4.jpeg

Think I’d have the same mixed feelings if we moved (preferably, after yesterday’s debacle, to somewhere I could get a fecking season ticket for!) 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny