St James' Park

Delima

5 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Averaging over 51k in the Championship but you could always get a ticket for the match. That's the ideal situation really, I don't think we'd out grow 60k like 

We'd sell out 60k every week as things stand and we've done nothing yet. If we get a hint of success 65/70k is achievable. I think 65k is the perfect capacity.

3 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I’d sooner have NFL at SJP than either code of egg-chasing and the plethora of boot cut jean and tan loafer nonces they bring with them.

Aye. You'll probably be dead before your imagination can come up with a pathetic stereotype that does nothing but reflect your own misery.

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Couldn't care less about having a world class stadium. Atmosphere, location, tradition, and a sense of community and belonging are everything.

It'll all be gone forever and too late to do anything about it if we scrap all that, tell ourselves it'll benefit the average fan, then end up like every other club that sold its soul for nothing. 

100% :clap:

You have to factor in that if (when) we reach a stage where we’re regularly competing in the Champions League, there’ll be times when bog standard league games just don’t have the same appeal as they do right now.

Playing at home to Crystal Palace at 2pm on a Sunday after you’ve just played Real Madrid on the Wednesday night, simply won’t have the same vibe/energy as near enough every league game does now.

Could we fill 60/65k for some games? Absolutely. Would we always fill it regardless of opposition/circumstances? I’m not so sure.

If you’re lucky enough to be able to attend all/most games at SJP at the moment, then savour it, because it’s a pretty unique situation at the moment, and it won’t always be like this.

Bizarre to think that when it’s been our history that has kept the fans and club together for the past 14 years of shite, and then the first flicker of the new dawn has some people clamouring for a flat pack industrial estate stadium that can seat 80,000. 
St James’ is the heart of the city. It makes the match experience what it is. So much so that it’s probably the away fans trip of the season. 
Extend the Gallowgate. 60,000 plus then fan zones around the city for the big occasions would do me. 
image.thumb.jpeg.6d4272aab794fa0f1ad81faa20e9313f.jpeg

Edited by RS

23 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not sure an extra 8k is even enough for all the people who want season tickets. 

That’s kind of where it’s a bit mad tbh. We could probably shift 60/65k ST’s no bother.

However, I’m not convinced we’d sell that out every single game once we’re established in European competitions*

*assuming we expanded and kept ST sales at like 45k

Edited by SteV

54 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I literally don’t think there’s anyone in the thread clamouring for that. 

Miggys First Goal 

Posted June 28

Need to build the new ground on the Arena site. Screw whatever plans the council have already agreed to. Just plop a 80,000 seater stadium down there. Will look unreal coming across the Redheugh.

58 minutes ago, SteV said:

That’s kind of where it’s a bit mad tbh. We could probably shift 60/65k ST’s no bother.

However, I’m not convinced we’d sell that out every single game once we’re established in European competitions*

*assuming we expanded and kept ST sales at like 45k

Interesting how important selling out vs maximum capacity is. I’ve never really thought about it before. 

Giving everyone a chance to go might be worth having empty seats for some games.

But I know football puts a lot of importance on sell-outs. 

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Interesting how important selling out vs maximum capacity is. I’ve never really thought about it before. 

Giving everyone a chance to go might be worth having empty seats for some games.

But I know football puts a lot of importance on sell-outs. 

Yep. You kind of assume Liverpool and Man Utd are like 80/90% ST holders but I believe the reality is actually nowhere near that. 

Think I read Villa actually have the highest % of capacity as ST in the PL. Although can’t remember the figure and guess that could have been overtaken by Bournemouth or Brentford 

34 minutes ago, SteV said:

Yep. You kind of assume Liverpool and Man Utd are like 80/90% ST holders but I believe the reality is actually nowhere near that. 

Think I read Villa actually have the highest % of capacity as ST in the PL. Although can’t remember the figure and guess that could have been overtaken by Bournemouth or Brentford 

How many season ticket holders do we actually have? Mid thirties?

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nope. Pretty much everyone agrees that the stadium needs to remain somewhere in the city centre.

Build a replica of the all-new Bernabeu on Castle Leazes. It’s going to be the best stadium in the world when finished and will make Spurs’ stadium look like the Stadium of Shite. 

if the Saudis expect to own us for a long time then this is the level of ambition I imagine they will have for us. And if so, we really need to get on board with it.

2 hours ago, SteV said:

You have to factor in that if (when) we reach a stage where we’re regularly competing in the Champions League, there’ll be times when bog standard league games just don’t have the same appeal as they do right now.

Playing at home to Crystal Palace at 2pm on a Sunday after you’ve just played Real Madrid on the Wednesday night, simply won’t have the same vibe/energy as near enough every league game does now.

Could we fill 60/65k for some games? Absolutely. Would we always fill it regardless of opposition/circumstances? I’m not so sure.

If you’re lucky enough to be able to attend all/most games at SJP at the moment, then savour it, because it’s a pretty unique situation at the moment, and it won’t always be like this.

Exactly. I've made this point so many times but it's true. The same goes for the less glamorous European games once we've had our fill for a few years. When you're playing 50+ games a season every year it is hard to fill 65k no matter how great the team is. Man City are the case in point here. We're at the absolute sweetspot for actual local demand right now because it is so exciting and there is momentum. Somewhere between 60-65k would be more than enough long term.

In terms of space, comfort, facilities, food, drink etc in the ground I'm not arsed in the slightest. I'd rather the pubs and bars in the city continued to benefit rather than trying to get people in two hours before and two hours after like at Tottenham. Improve the corporate offering sure but the rest is not what matchday is about for me.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Exactly. I've made this point so many times but it's true. The same goes for the less glamorous European games once we've had our fill for a few years. When you're playing 50+ games a season every year it is hard to fill 65k no matter how great the team is. Man City are the case in point here. We're at the absolute sweetspot for actual local demand right now because it is so exciting and there is momentum. Somewhere between 60-65k would be more than enough long term.

In terms of space, comfort, facilities, food, drink etc in the ground I'm not arsed in the slightest. I'd rather the pubs and bars in the city continued to benefit rather than trying to get people in two hours before and two hours after like at Tottenham. Improve the corporate offering sure but the rest is not what matchday is about for me.

I would suggest anybody advocating a move out of town- even as a last resort- takes in a game at Brighton. The match day experience there is completely shit. After the game in August, you had two options: A huge queue for the train, or a huge queue inside the ground for the bar. I was even prepared to pay stupid prices for a taxi but that was seemingly impossible too. Fuck replacing SJP for that. 

Edited by Hovagod

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

No one at all. Straw man. Suggesting the arena site was an argument in favour of developing the whole site south of Scotswood Road - ie. not part of an industrial complex, but part of an NUFC led shiny extension of the city centre complete with apartments, community clubs, landscaping and light rail extension. Anyway, perhaps that ship has sailed due to ongoing plans for housing.

Nobody but nobody wants a generic stadium or a suburban location. Many would support plans for a world class high spec design, capacity 68,000ish in a city centre location.

Currently we could fill a 60,000 stadium. If the city continues to grow, the PL remains as popular internationally and the club continues its upwars trajectory, then I'd suggest 60,000 simply won't cut it in the medium term.

26 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

How many season ticket holders do we actually have? Mid thirties?

Don’t think it’s ever been officially released anywhere, but mid thirties would seem a sensible estimate.

I wouldn’t be against a world class Spurs-esque plan on the same site or close to SJP with a rolling pitch that would support other ventures to build revenue. 62-65k, ground share with the Falcons, get some international games up here etc etc

sort the training ground out first though pls

Edited by Jack27