St James' Park

Delima

Castle Leazes or the Arena site are both great alternatives to St Jame’s, maybe the arena site has sailed now but Castle Leazes allows us to keep our current capacity while it’s built.

All the reasons Castle Leazes was the best choice in the 90’s still hold sway now. It still keeps match trade in the city centre, it’s purpose built with great acoustics, sight lines (half the ground aren’t stuck in the gods),wide concourses, we can increase corporate revenue and have affordable general ticketing to get the younger generation in, we could have a Wembley way type walkway through a new park on the current site and it frees up Leazes Terrace to oversee new park.

SJP is great in many ways but let’s not kid ourselves the atmosphere would go with a new stadium at Castle Leazes, the current ground doesn’t hold the noise well since redevelopment to 52k.

I’d have no objection to the club moving to Castle Leazes and building a 65k stadium to rival the very best.

13 hours ago, RS said:

first flicker of the new dawn has some people clamouring for a flat pack industrial estate stadium that can seat 80,000. 

If/when we get a new stadium, it will be very very far away from “flat pack” I could guarantee that. It’ll be the best/most innovative stadium on the planet for sure. The Saudis won’t fuck around, they’ll want the best and to throw loads of money at it. 

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s the move out of the city that is out of the question for me. Would destroy the city, the link to the community and the matchday experience. 

I wouldn’t want that even if I could

never get a ticket. 

Gotta agree. 

14 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

The castle leazes site with current site converted to park land seems like the dream scenario for me. 

Agree with this.

We have owners who are building a city from scratch in the fucking desert. The council could be more enticed and convinced by whatever plans our owners might have for the stadium and the city as a whole. Need to get permission and all sorted first. 

I don't doubt at all whether it is achievable or not. It will be.

Edited by nufcjb

7 hours ago, cubaricho said:

If/when we get a new stadium, it will be very very far away from “flat pack” I could guarantee that. It’ll be the best/most innovative stadium on the planet for sure. The Saudis won’t fuck around, they’ll want the best and to throw loads of money at it. 

It still wouldn’t be St James’ Park though. 

15 hours ago, pedro111 said:

I know it was Brentford at home but there seemed to be a fair few empty seats dotted about from what I could see. 65k would be more than enough.

Was sold out including extra seats that Brentford sent back. There's always going to be the odd empty seat as not every ticket holder can make it. Things happen at short notice.

Regarding points made about capacity/new stadium;

I think it's fair to say SJP is now too small. It's been relegated to 7th biggest in the league (could be 8th when Evertons new ground is open).

The demand to watch PL football is off the scale amd is growing by the season. Not just here, everywhere. Just about every team is now selling out every match (Southampton sometimes 1/2k short). You've even got the likes of West Ham who have a far smaller fanbase than us currently averaging 62,500 and that's them in the bottom half and playing in an awful stadium, but that's how demand is.

60k needs to be an absolute minimum. 65k would be ideal. If neither of these scenarios is possible then an alternative venue would need to be considered. A club with our ambitions isn't going to be satisfied with a pretty much mid table stadium when it comes to capacity.

However as far as I can see there's only 2 possible sites. Castle Leazes or Arena site if they can buy back the land from whoever bought it. Anywhere else outside of the city boundaries is a big no no for me. We've all been to places like Bolton, Brighton, Wigan etc and these new builds plonked in the middle of nowhere are horrendous and aren't what Newcastle United are all about at all. Someone mentioned digging down. Pretty sure that's what Ajax did at the Arena which increased their capacity from 51,500 to 55,000 so it would be a start if it was possible here.

13 minutes ago, buzz said:

Do you need a seatbelt?

Once told my mates lass you had to clip yourself into your seat with a carabiner if you were in level 7, response belongs in "The daft thing's your partner said."[emoji38]

11 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Trying to book tickets for Palace. Keep getting a message saying “This event is no longer available for sale” any reason why?

Not on sale yet? Sales to members start on 13th

edit- it’s open to ST holders now, but not members yet for some reason.

Edited by Manxst