St James' Park

Delima

On 27/01/2023 at 21:19, Stifler said:

To a mirror image of the Leazers end yes, but I fail to see why you think the council have the desire or ability to blackmail the club.

just out of interest, how far back do you think the structure would go (for the sake of argument lets not include the stairwells) would you say just beyond the road?  You'd think with the exception of one building there would be still scope to expand.

My fear is that the club would need the metro station to close, but developers will want the metro to stay so them cunts that occupy them buildings can use it

37 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

So that's it then. Only hope for more capacity is moving the ground. Can't see how East stand can be extended, really. Ashley (mostly) and the council have utterly fucked the club over.

What makes you say this? 

Mike Ashley truly was cancerous. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

just out of interest, how far back do you think the structure would go (for the sake of argument lets not include the stairwells) would you say just beyond the road?  You'd think with the exception of one building there would be still scope to expand.

My fear is that the club would need the metro station to close, but developers will want the metro to stay so them cunts that occupy them buildings can use it

Slightly off topic but the St James’ Park metro station has always seemed like a massive waste of time when you consider the proximity of the other three stations in the centre.

9 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Slightly off topic but the St James’ Park metro station has always seemed like a massive waste of time when you consider the proximity of the other three stations in the centre.

Totally agree

11 minutes ago, LFEE said:

If you’re coming from anywhere but North Shields way it’s an inconvenience.

I was playing football at Nucastle on Friday and got the Metro in to town, walked past SJP Metro station to get on at Haymarket instead. 

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

If you’re coming from anywhere but North Shields way it’s an inconvenience.

I was playing football at Nucastle on Friday and got the Metro in to town, walked past SJP Metro station to get on at Haymarket instead. 

Don’t blame you. Might be completely wrong but surely worth the walk for a more regular service?

14 minutes ago, LFEE said:

all the imagery they've used down there of the players would be better off in the club shop or on the concourse

And with regard to club shop....remember when you used to not only have pictures of players but you had TV's playing goals by newcastle, you also had all kinds of nufc merchandise. Ashley was quite simply the man that everything he touched turned to shit

The station was built back when the brewery’s was next door. Alongside that the trains switch tracks that way as well.

With a bigger population moving into the buildings on the former brewery site, and the offices going up, it will attract more customers, it’s also handy for match day as well.

St James Metro only exists because the Metro was originally supposed to extend to the west end. I never get off/on there usually because Monument provides two routes home so is more regular service.

It does now however get used more than it used to with the Helix developments. I've been surprised that there are actually quite a few stay on to the end of the line rather than get out at monument when commuting in.

58 minutes ago, Mr Pups said:

I don’t know. The Gallowgate stand is already surprisingly far back. The path and patio area of Shearer’s bar is pretty wide as well. I’d be very surprised if it would go as far back as the curb on the other side of the road.

The Metro station won’t close permanent, that’s out of the question. The Metro would probably be open to closing it during construction of either an expanded Gallowgate end, or the new buildings.

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

St James Metro only exists because the Metro was originally supposed to extend to the west end. I never get off/on there usually because Monument provides two routes home so is more regular service.

It does now however get used more than it used to with the Helix developments. I've been surprised that there are actually quite a few stay on to the end of the line rather than get out at monument when commuting in.

Used to use it when I worked at the business school, during commute hours it's canny busy. Was class knowing you had a guaranteed seat as well 

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I've read that before about the extension to the west from St James' but it never seemed to make sense. From the Central along the old North Tyne branch maybe and St James' for the Football, link with Gallowgate bus station and to serve the area around the brewery.

3 minutes ago, Cort said:

Does anyone know if there has been any communication between fan groups and the owners about changing the lettering on the East Stand?

When Darren Eales was on Radio Newcastle lots of people mentioned it and he said that's why fan feedback is so important because without it, that would never have occured to him. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

When Darren Eales was on Radio Newcastle lots of people mentioned it and he said that's why fan feedback is so important because without it, that would never have occured to him. 

Cheers! Hopefully we see movement on it this summer.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Would really like that changed. I must admit.

Aye, it's the last remaining scar of the Ashley era now that the pigeon is gone.

I do hope they can find a way to extend mind. I think 60-65k would be ideal.

Didn't somebody post on here that the club had bought Barker and Stonehouse building along from the ground? Anyone any idea why/what came of it?

6 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Aye, it's the last remaining scar of the Ashley era now that the pigeon is gone.

I do hope they can find a way to extend mind. I think 60-65k would be ideal.

Didn't somebody post on here that the club had bought Barker and Stonehouse building along from the ground? Anyone any idea why/what came of it?

Five three piece suites and a bed side table?

As much as I love and adore Shearer and Sir Bobby, KK is a more pivotal individual in our history so it's about time that we recognise the bloke whether through a statue or renaming the East Stand after him.

Edited by Cort