Roeder: Butt deserves Newcastle captaincy

Guest scottfx

Guest scottfx

"Roeder: Butt deserves Newcastle captaincy

tribalfooball.com - February 14, 2007

Nicky Butt will wear the captain's armband for Newcastle tonight against Zulte-Waregem in their UEFA Cup tie.

The 32-year-old midfielder appeared to be on his way out of St James' Park two seasons ago when he went out on loan to Birmingham after a poor first campaign on Tyneside.

But he has won over fans and Glenn Roeder this season and the manager says: "Nicky Butt will be captain. He has vast experience with Manchester United in Europe and he is having a wonderful season for us. He is a leader. He is out of the United school, that group of players � the [Gary and Phil] Nevilles, [David] Beckham, [Paul] Scholes. Nicky will do a fine job for us. When I asked him, he was delighted."

Sorry if this has already been posted. I agree with this decision.. he has the experience and has been one of the rocks in midfield these last few months.  He has proven im self since that FA cup semi display.

Whats your thought on this?

Good call I think - only other realistic option would be Nobby, although I think Taylor can do the job in the longer term.

I would have liked to have seen Nobby be given the captaincy. He's captain for his country and experienced in this position. Has Nobby captained us before? I reckon he'll be a bit disappointed he hasn't had the chance if that's been the case

heard he's one of the quietest players in the squad (not saying he has to be a shouter) but not sure how effective he will be as captain.....but as someone else has pointed out , there's not many other candidates

Indeed. He only came out a while ago saying he isnt normally a loud player on the pitch. He said he is happy to help all the younger players out, but only if they are asking for advice.

He more than deserves it though. Solano would have been equally a good shout, but its good to have someone central in that role.

This is one of the things Roeder deserves a bit of credit before, when he came in and said Butt had a clean slate I seem to remember most (maybe even myself) not being happy with it but fair play to Roeder as Butt has been very good for us this season.

This is one of the things Roeder deserves a bit of credit before, when he came in and said Butt had a clean slate I seem to remember most (maybe even myself) not being happy with it but fair play to Roeder as Butt has been very good for us this season.

Agreed. If Butt had been sold for next to nothing to save on wages, like many people (myself included) were happy to see happen we4'd be a lot worse off. I'm happy to hold up my hands and admit I was fully wrong on that count. Well done Glenn.

yep same here i got his name and number on the back of shirt when we signed him because i really thought he could do a job for us

turned out by the next season i was gutted as he had diminished!

but like everyone had hoped, he came back better than ever and im loving it now like the last time when i went to the tottenham game complete with the legendary butt on the back of the shirt and he happened to score RESULT!

Agreed. If Butt had been sold for next to nothing to save on wages, like many people (myself included) were happy to see happen we4'd be a lot worse off. I'm happy to hold up my hands and admit I was fully wrong on that count. Well done Glenn.

Guest smoggeordie

Didn't Dyer score a couple last time he was captain?

Everton at Home, 2002

He was also captain at West Ham away the following January when we drew 2-2.