Best music videos

Aphrodite

Watching 100 Best Music Videos now (although i've already seen it and got it on video, I'm a big fan of music vids). Anyway, what are everyone's favourites?

For me:

Sledgehammer- Peter Gabriel (the best music vid ever IMO; fantastic)

Coldplay- The Scientist

Talking Heads- Once In a Lifetime

Jonny Cash- Hurt

More to come I'm sure when I get my brain going.

Guest ticaL

Kanye West - Touch The Sky, what can I say, those sideburns...:D

Also, agree with Aphro, The Scientist.

AphexTwin - Windowlicker, I'd say Come To Daddy aswell, but it's more distrubing than good.

Guest Hatful Of Hollow

Top 100 List  and The Original Nominations

Chemical Bros - various really Star Guitar, Believe & Hey Boy Hey Girl deserve individual shouts.

Let Forever Be anarl, which was nominated but not in the top 100.

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy was nominated aswell but didn't make the cut, it may seem a simple video but I just love the way it's shot, and the fact that it's a single, continuous shot. Also, it's a brilliant track, which always The Bittersweet Symphony video was influenced by Unfinished Sympathy aswell.

Daft Punk - Around The World is a clever video, similar to Star Guitar in the respect that the scenery in the video is in synch with the track, although in Around The World it's less complex, as it's dancers representing seperate elements of the track.

As for Star Guitar, my favourite music video of all-time, the first music video that really amazed me, so clever. On the first viewings of it I didn't fully grasp just how much the scenery does react to the track, everything from smoke coming out of funnels to rail tracks moving to the beat.

I see that only one Foo Fighters video made it into the top 100, Everlong deserved a nod aswell I feel, another great video from Michel Gondry, which comprises of Dave Grohl and his wife's (played by his band mate, not sure of the name) dreams, which link together as they battle against 2 teddy boys.

I'm surprised that only one White Stripes track made it; Fell In Love With A Girl is an excellent video though, using lego bricks to good effect. Another video of note is Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground, in which Jack comes home from work to find the house in an awful state, and projected on the wall is the events of a party that was held when he was away, it's a really good video. Hardest Button To Button is also worth a mention, using stop-motion animation to create a vast array of instruments and amps.

Coldplay's The Scientist is a very good video, but rap group The Pharcyde used a similar concept for 'Drop', I would say aswell that it was more difficult for them due to the fact they were rapping so learning how do that backwards must have been difficult.

Given the popularity of Kylie I thought that 'Come Into My World would have been included, by far her most technically impressive video, also when you consider that she is fully clothed in the video, meaning that Michel Gondry couldn't just focus on that. In the video Kylie is followed around a Paris suburb, each time she completes a 'lap' everything multiplies, meaning that there are now 2 Kylie's, who interact with each other and the surroundings, which are now also multipliead. This continues until there are 4 Kylie's and 4 of everything else.

A video which also impressed me greatly was Royksopp - Remind me, a sort of infomercial which follows a woman through her working day, breaking down in great technical detail how her milk got from the cow to her breakfast table etc, and her journey to work.

There are 4 Michel Gondry videos that were nominated, which certainly isn't enough, he is an amazing music video director, and all of his work that I have mentioned deserves great credit. His DVD is excellent, all of his videos are stunning. Even the adverts he's done for various companies.

Guest Hatful Of Hollow

They oftern detract from the music I find.

A bad music video can detract from the track, a music video that's been done properly compliments the track I feel.

The majority of modern rap videos are unimaginative and bland beyond belief, cash, girls, drink, cars - repeat ad infinitum. Kanye West videos tend  to stray from the flock though, Gold Digger, Diamonds From Sierra Leone, and Touch The Sky are all top class videos, the first 2 being directed by Hype Williams, who is probably the most high-profile rap video director around.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Sabotage, few of the Stones videos are pretty funny, but the Man in Black takes it for me, that wrenches your heart from your chest and shoves it up your arse.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

he is one of the most prolific Shiite Muslim music artists of the modern era but I think that is an exaggeration tbh

Guest The Shaman

Tool - "Prison Sex".

Tool - "Sober".

Tool - "Aenema".

Perfect Circle - "Orestes" or "3 Libras" ie. the video featuring JMK walking amidst an orgy similat to the one seen in "Eyes Wide Shut".

Johnny Cash - "Hurt".