Zulte-Waragem 1 - 3 Newcastle United - Post match thoughts

Dave

Titus was THE man tonight, good work fella. Dave, are you sure you were watching the right match, mate? :p

?

I said he had a good game tonight, only that he still made some elementary errors that invited pressure.

I'm not sure I can remember any, unless you count the ball that hit Taylor?

Yeah I count that. There were a couple of others too.

Doesn't mean I can't praise him overall though.

I'm not meaning to argue or anything, just think he had a class game and I honestly can't remember any mistakes, apart from the Taylor thing possibly. I'm not having a go, my comment was meant to be light-hearted.

Thats the only thing I can remember, he was a one man defence at times, showed pass, strength, intelligence, good in the air. Was a very good game from the lad.

Bramble makes me feel very uneasy whenever he's on the ball or has to deal with it due to his previous history. One or even a couple of good games doesn't eradicate that feeling of unease, and as such his errors stick in the mind more. Taylor made some mistakes too, but I only mentioned Bramble's in the first place as a caveat to my praise of his overall game.

The penalty should have been taken by Solano. Who takes penalties should be decided before the game by the manager, and it feels a bit amateurish for a striker to be pleading to take one just to get his name on the scoresheet.

Nonsense. You want your goalscoring centre-forwrds to be greedy for crying out loud! I think it's great to see him so desperate to get his name on the scoresheet. It's not 'just' to get his name on the scoresheet - it's not 'just' that. He's the number 9 centre-forward and he is desperate to be top goalscorer, and justfiy his price tag - and so he should do. I'm fecking glad Shearer was greedy...

Agree (Yorkie-Geordie)

I think thats one of the problems that Bramble will always have, because he has a history of mistakes as soon as he makes one its "fucks sake he has done it again" and although others will make mistakes and they will be forgotten it will always be in the back of the mind that Bramble did it again!

Still think he was excellent tonight and showed he would be a decent SQUAD player despite not being consistant enough to really be in contention for a first 11 place if we want to do anything of note.

Guest TampaToon

gave the team some confidence, and i think it's been a LONG time since the team has been that comfortable in a game, but i was really hoping for a clean sheet to break the streak

I think thats one of the problems that Bramble will always have, because he has a history of mistakes as soon as he makes one its "fucks sake he has done it again" and although others will make mistakes and they will be forgotten it will always be in the back of the mind that Bramble did it again!

Still think he was excellent tonight and showed he would be a decent SQUAD player despite not being consistant enough to really be in contention for a first 11 place if we want to do anything of note.

Agree with you about Bramble but when some players are making 1-2 fatal mistakes in a season Bramble makes 5-6 so its normal people to see him that way

Like I said, I don't want to argue, but:

The header was due to Taylor hammering it at him way above his head, he did well to get anything on it, Harper had loads of time, but inexplicably put it out for a throw, instead of clearing it.

A heavy touch, which he easily got himself out of is hardly a big deal, is it? I don't see any of the other players heavy touches been deemed worthy of a mention.

I don't want to argue either, let's call it a discussion! TBH I think we're of the same mind here; Titus was excellent today. Those were the only things I could remember he did slightly wrong. The header may well be true, I couldn't remember if it was because Taylor hit the pass too high or because he simply Brambled it.

As for the heavy touch, I agree it wasn't a big deal today. Having said that it was a yard or two away from being a potential disaster, especially as it was so needless. Every player has heavy touches, when most do it it's a mistake and annoying, when a centre back does it it's potentially disastrous. Still don't mean to nit pick. Great game from him today.

Bramble 7 - Uncharacteristically neat performance, nowhere near 'outstanding'.

Agreed. I thought he had a decent game and that's it. The hype by the commentators was embarrassing.

And Gejon…. why was Siberski pissing you off? I thought he had a good game....won a lot in the air.

Guest smoggeordie

Harper  5 nowt to do

Solano  7 superb going forward but at fault for goal and still cant defend set pieces

Bramble  8 very good

Taylor  7

Babayaro  7

Milner 7

Dyer 8

Butt 6

Duff 8

Sibbers 7

Martins 7

TBH I'm very happy with that, thought we bossed the game for 75 mins only let down by a daft set play

Duff had his best game for us tonight, running at defenders, good passing and good crossing. Hope he's finally coming good.

just got back from the game, we din't play that well, but ended up winning with a good margin that will make the return easy going. We tried first half but waregem did an good job defending, they tried to play footbal, but in all we looked capabale of scoring, and did, there goal came off a free kick and gave them a bit of a lift. Iwas in the home end behind the goal, met some other newcastle fans there, singing inside the zulte waregem half, credit to their fans to accept that and make nu bigg fuss, just a smile.

all in all an ok night

Guest smoggeordie

just got back from the game, we din't play that well, but ended up winning with a good margin that will make the return easy going. We tried first half but waregem did an good job defending, they tried to play footbal, but in all we looked capabale of scoring, and did, there goal came off a free kick and gave them a bit of a lift. Iwas in the home end behind the goal, met some other newcastle fans there, singing inside the zulte waregem half, credit to their fans to accept that and make nu bigg fuss, just a smile.

all in all an ok night

Fuck me flights are getting quicker nowadays ;)

martins had a shocking game.  Think he should have been subbed at 65mins.  Milner was back to his airheed old self.

We looked pretty thin on ideas in last third. 

Fortunately the own goal left the pattaaaaa  farmers in shock and made us look decent for 20mins.

A less patched up side coould have won this 5 or 6 to 1.   

Pitch was bit heavy though, looked like the somme in parts.   

we gonna be ripped open in the next round.  Although i guess we might have parker and emre in midfield by then, so maybe we can look better.....ill bet glender plays 4-5-1 . 

Can see us reaching last 8 with scrappy win  but then getting beat by a proper team :)

all in all an ok night

f*** me flights are getting quicker nowadays ;)

i live in belgium mate lol

martins had a shocking game.  Think he should have been subbed at 65mins.  Milner was back to his airheed old self.

We looked pretty thin on ideas in last third. 

Fortunately the own goal left the pattaaaaa  farmers in shock and made us look decent for 20mins.

A less patched up side coould have won this 5 or 6 to 1.   

Pitch was bit heavy though, looked like the somme in parts.   

we gonna be ripped open in the next round.  Although i guess we might have parker and emre in midfield by then, so maybe we can look better.....ill bet glender plays 4-5-1 . 

Can see us reaching last 8 with scrappy win  but then getting beat by a proper team :)

We always play worse against bad teams though. We were never threatened tonight. Martins was terrible though, tough he's never as good with Sibbers as he is with Dyer.

Guest smoggeordie

all in all an ok night

f*** me flights are getting quicker nowadays ;)

i live in belgium mate lol

I guessed :lol:

The penalty should have been taken by Solano. Who takes penalties should be decided before the game by the manager, and it feels a bit amateurish for a striker to be pleading to take one just to get his name on the scoresheet.

Nonsense. You want your goalscoring centre-forwrds to be greedy for crying out loud! I think it's great to see him so desperate to get his name on the scoresheet. It's not 'just' to get his name on the scoresheet - it's not 'just' that. He's the number 9 centre-forward and he is desperate to be top goalscorer, and justfiy his price tag - and so he should do. I'm fecking glad Shearer was greedy...

Agree (Yorkie-Geordie)

Shearer wasn't greedy. He was the designated penalty-taker, and was good at it.

Solano was given the job for a reason. Someone trying to take over the job during the game just reminded me of a bunch of a kids. If Martins wants to take the pens, he needs to earn the right.

For what it's worth, if my life depended on it, I'd far rather it was Nobby taking the kick than Oba.

Bramble was class, Duff played well but still he has a tendency to run with it a few seconds too long and end up running into the defender.

Martins was a bit shit, too ball greedy for my liking.

3-1 is a good result though, we never looked in trouble and no one really had a bad game - was just really comfortable.

Bramble was outstanding. Played with a confidence I don't think I have ever seen before. Confidence which has grown from playing two games along side Gooch perhaps?  Maybe he will prove the doubters wrong (and that includes me)

I know they bummed him on TV, qand everyone here seems to think he played well, but Bramble's passing was fucking shite last night. Anything other than a short pass to Taylor and he was giving the ball away. Milner was very poor as well, lost count of how many times he gave away posession. Duff showed some good signs, shame about the cheating, and Baba put in a decent shift. Would probably go for Nobby MOTM myself.

Harper - 6

Solano - 7

Taylor - 6

Bramble - 6

Baba - 6

Milner - 6

Butt - 6

Dyer - 7

Duff - 0

Martins - 6

Sibierski - 6

I didnt watch the game but from all the comments about Duff i dont think he was thah shit ;)