Penalty Taking

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

It's starting to fucking boil my piss that we don't have a designated penalty taker. Martins and Solano fight against Reading, Martins scores, then misses so Roeder says "Oh well, he'll still take the next one". He didn't. Does this undermine the managers authority? Solano scores 2 on the trot and takes them brilliantly, so what happens? Martins takes it tonight.

For fucks sake pick a Penalty taker and fucking stick to it!!!

[/rant]

in pressure situations it will be Solano

That was the key on Saturday. Martins should be taking them as the principle goalscorer, but he'd missed his last and we needed that one, so Nobby pulled rank. Tonight it was good to see Martins want the ball again and then put it away.

It's starting to f****** boil my piss that we don't have a designated penalty taker. Martins and Solano fight against Reading, Martins scores, then misses so Roeder says "Oh well, he'll still take the next one". He didn't. Does this undermine the managers authority? Solano scores 2 on the trot and takes them brilliantly, so what happens? Martins takes it tonight.

For fucks sake pick a Penalty taker and f****** stick to it!!!

[/rant]

Agreed. It's something I mentioned on the Post-Match thread. There's no reason at all for players arguing or negotiating about it on the pitch.

If Martins isn't the best penalty-taker (and I don't think he is) then that's that.

Guest smoggeordie

What a suprise to see people moaning about having 2 penalty takers in the team.

I'm not moaning about that. It's great to have two people willing to take them. But the fact that they resort to tugging the ball off each other on the pitch is embarassing. Surely they could sort it beforehand?

I think Nobby will take them when he's on the pitch most of the time still. Look at it in a positive way. Just scoring a penalty after his miss against Everton might be a big psychological boost for Martins when it comes to taking penaltys, so hopefully Nobby will take them all from now on while he's on the pitch, and if Nobby is injured then Martins can take them with that miss at Everton well out of his head now. Thats trying to be positive anyway.

and what happens next season when Owen wants to take them? Will Gerrard I mean Martins step aside?

Owen won't take 'em. He stopped taking penalties like a season before the end of his Liverpool days, never took one for Real and doesn't take 'em for England (anymore).

The last penalty we had two players fought over it.  Both John Stead (who was virtually begging for the ball) and Dean Whitehead wanted it.  Since Stead was desperate to score you'd have thought considering we were 3-0 down to Aston Villa, and it was the 92nd minute, Whitehead would have given it to Stead but he barged him out of the way on his way to the penalty spot.  Whitehead scored like.  I can't believe our last penalty was on 19th November 2005 and we've played around 60 games since then. 

It'll still be Nobby when the pressures on, you could tell Martins was getting more and more frustrated so he asked to take it to get his goal/get the Everton one out of his mind in a no-pressure situation. No harm done.

That's what I figured. Thought it was a bit of a non-brainer. Could be wrong though.

What a suprise to see people moaning about having 2 penalty takers in the team.

I'm not moaning about that. It's great to have two people willing to take them. But the fact that they resort to tugging the ball off each other on the pitch is embarassing. Surely they could sort it beforehand?

Try not to let it worry you too much.... :sad5:

Guest Ridzuan

To be honest,I dont have any problem with either Martins or Solano and maybe Owen when he is fit taking the penalty.But for some reason,I feel more comfortable with Nobby taking it.

Guest smoggeordie

Nobby never misses

Middlesbrough at home (in March 2001???) He hit the bar and we went on to lose 2-1. Boksic scored twice and Cort scored for us.