Sleep Clinic

GM

Heard about this on FiveLive earlier on my way from a meeting, some bod called Dr John Shneerson - sleep expert at Papworth Hospital, and he was explaining the concept of "sleep debt" i.e. on average you need 7 hours, so that if you only have 6 hours on a weekday night you end up with 5 hours debt by the weekend...but what's worse, apparently it's not possible to build up "sleep credit" by staying in bed on a Saturday morning and snoozing on for those"lost" few hours.

There's a new programme coming up next week on BBC1 called Sleep Clinic - I'll be watching as I've got myself into a fucking rut when it comes to sleep lately - maybe get me some clues...here's the spiel about the programme though, copied from RadioTimes.com:

Sleep Clinic

Monday, 10:35pm - 11:05pm BBC1

Tuesday, 7.00pm - 7.30pm, BBC2 (rpt)

VIDEO Plus+: 774432

Subtitles, widescreen

1/8

According to Macbeth, a man who knew a thing or two about sleep disorders, sleep is the balm of hurt minds and the chief nourisher in life's feast. But the subjects of this fascinating series are starved of a good, settled eight hours. Certainly their long-suffering partners know little of an undisturbed night. Take Jim, whose girlfriend Jody wakes frequently with night terrors. Once she claimed a pony was at the bottom of the bed, which, to his credit, Jim finds funny, though only when he's wide awake. But help could be at hand, as Jody is a patient at Britain's biggest sleep clinic at Papworth Hospital. As is Malcolm, who moans horribly in his sleep before talking nonsense about, among other subjects, bespoke tailoring. Then he pretends to lift weights. Though there's something voyeuristic about watching people during their most vulnerable hours, and Sleep Clinic's narration is annoyingly jaunty, the series promises plenty of insight into this most mysterious state.

My brother gave me some of them, in the summer, I'm sure it was them (will confirm that), worked a bloody treat may I say.  I've always felt most sleeping pills try to use a placebo type of effect, as they never work on me.  With these, I could gradually feel myself shutting down, slurring words, blurred vision.  Amazing fun trying to battle it...

Interesting, might explain why I look tired 24/7.  Certainly ran into "sleep debt", in my thousands, during my teens, and even now.

I'm the same mate, It comes in waves for me, sometimes i'll oversleep to fuck for a few months, then i can't sleep properly for months... I'll definately be watching this.

I'll be watching this programme, I couldn't get sleep credit if it were available if I tried. In the weekdays I wake up to my alarm feeling fooked. Come Saturday morning no alarm awake at 8, at least its an hour extra and I can sneak a few games of GOW whilst Mrs Tisd is sleeping.

As a kid I was terrible, 1 AM would be early for me, staying up late would let me see those Foreign films on Channel 4 :naughty:

I'll definately be watching. Like you said tisd, 1am feels like early evening to me and I don't get to sleep till about 3-4 usually, then usually get in from school and go straight to bed for about 6 hours, get up about 11 and the process starts again, totally fucked.

Guest Gemmill

Ha!  I'll have to make my mam watch this!  When I worked at a night club years ago, and wasn't getting in til about half 3, my fucking annoying sister would stand at the top of the stairs (right outside my room) at about 9 in the morning and conduct conversations with my mam who was in the kitchen (downstairs), waking me up in the process.  I would go mental about it but would be up for the day, and back to the nightclub that night.  The same would happen the next morning.  If, two days later, I complained at being knackered from lack of sleep I used to get "Oh don't be so bloody stupid!  You don't get tired from a cumulative lack of sleep!  It all resets once you get a normal night's sleep in."  Used to do my fucking head in.

Ha!  I'll have to make my mam watch this!  When I worked at a night club years ago, and wasn't getting in til about half 3, my f****** annoying sister would stand at the top of the stairs (right outside my room) at about 9 in the morning and conduct conversations with my mam who was in the kitchen (downstairs), waking me up in the process.  I would go mental about it but would be up for the day, and back to the nightclub that night.  The same would happen the next morning.  If, two days later, I complained at being knackered from lack of sleep I used to get "Oh don't be so bloody stupid!  You don't get tired from a cumulative lack of sleep!  It all resets once you get a normal night's sleep in."  Used to do my f****** head in.

Washing glasses is pretty tough, so I hear.  ;)

Ha!  I'll have to make my mam watch this!  When I worked at a night club years ago, and wasn't getting in til about half 3, my f****** annoying sister would stand at the top of the stairs (right outside my room) at about 9 in the morning and conduct conversations with my mam who was in the kitchen (downstairs), waking me up in the process.  I would go mental about it but would be up for the day, and back to the nightclub that night.  The same would happen the next morning.  If, two days later, I complained at being knackered from lack of sleep I used to get "Oh don't be so bloody stupid!  You don't get tired from a cumulative lack of sleep!  It all resets once you get a normal night's sleep in."  Used to do my f****** head in.

Washing glasses is pretty tough, so I hear.  ;)

Maybe he was a dancer and thats what made him so tired! :dance: