Shearer's replacement signs for Man City

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

I remember in Sir Bobs autobiography, Robson went to Shepherd with an idea of selling Shearer to Liverpool for 4 million and bringing this guy in for about 900 grand, as he was the next big thing

Shows old Bobby may have been going a bit doolally prior to his sacking!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/6365365.stm

Guest sicko2ndbest

Sell a poor Premiership forward on the highest wages for 4mill, sign a poor forward for 0.9k.

Makes sense to me.

If you truly believe that, you may well be closer related to your avatar than you think  :idiot2:

3-4 years ago he was doing pretty well for Schalke with Ebbe Sand, I'm sure.  Him signing for Man City now hardly proves he was shite then, does it?  Maybe not the "rising star" but if we'd have signed him then, he'd have done a job.

would he have scored 206 goals in 10 seasons while missing the most part of at least 2 of them is the question you should be asking yourself

3-4 years ago he was doing pretty well for Schalke with Ebbe Sand, I'm sure.  Him signing for Man City now hardly proves he was shite then, does it?  Maybe not the "rising star" but if we'd have signed him then, he'd have done a job.

would he have scored 206 goals in 10 seasons while missing the most part of 2 of them is the question you should be asking yourself

Yeah, of course.

would he have scored 206 goals in 10 seasons while missing the most part of 2 of them is the question you should be asking yourself

Yeah, of course.

:knuppel2:

Guest sicko2ndbest

3-4 years ago he was doing pretty well for Schalke with Ebbe Sand, I'm sure.  Him signing for Man City now hardly proves he was s**** then, does it?  Maybe not the "rising star" but if we'd have signed him then, he'd have done a job.

He would have been 3rd choice behind Shearer and Bellamy anyway.

This is one thing i am glad the fat one didnt cash in on!

Yeah, of course.

:knuppel2:

Whilst obviously wanting someone to do that, to expect them to is rather laughable.  What with it being our record goalscoring tally, and that.  I'm sure you're joking, though...

3-4 years ago he was doing pretty well for Schalke with Ebbe Sand, I'm sure.  Him signing for Man City now hardly proves he was s**** then, does it?  Maybe not the "rising star" but if we'd have signed him then, he'd have done a job.

Don't get us wrong mate, I'm not saying we should've signed him, more just trying to find some justification for how this proves that Robson was going "doolally".  Could've been a Sibierski, for all we know.

2004/05

14/8/04 Middlesbrough Riverside 2-2 (1, 174)

11/9/04 Blackburn Rovers St. James' 3-0 (1, 175)

25/9/04 West Bromwich St. James' 3-1 (1, 176)

30/9/04 Hapoel Sakhnin* Ramat Gan 5-1 (3 (1 pen), 179)

21/10/04 Panionios *Nea Smymi 1-0 (1 (pen), 180)

24/10/04 Manchester City St. James' 4-3 (1 (pen), 181)

4/11/04 Dinamo Tbilisi *St. James' 2-0 (1, 182)

14/11/04 Manchester Utd St. James' 1-3 (1, 183)

15/1/05 Southampton St. James' 2-1 (1 (pen), 184)

29/1/05 Coventry City *St. James' 3-1 (1, 185)

2/2/05 Manchester City City of Manch 1-1 (1, 186)

17/2/05 Heerenveen *Abe Lenstra 2-1 (1, 187)

24/2/05 Heerenveen *St. James' 2-1 (1, 188)

10/3/05 Olympiacos *G Karaiskakis 3-1 (1 (pen), 189)

16/3/05 Olympiacos *St. James' 4-0 (2, 191)

7/4/05 Sporting Lisbon *St. James' 1-0 (1, 192)

2005/06

23/7/05 FK ZTS Dubnica *St. James' 2-0 (2, 194)

18/9/05 Blackburn Ewood Park 3-0 (1, 195)

26/10/05 Grimsby Town *Blundell Park 1-0 (1, 196)

30/10/05 West Bromwich Hawthorns 3-0 (1, 197)

3/12/05 Aston Villa St. James' 1-1 (1 (pen), 198)

17/12/05 West Ham Upton Park 4-2 (1, 199)

7/1/06 Mansfield Town *St James' 1-0 (1, 200)

4/2/06 Portsmouth St James' 2-0 (1, 201)

4/3/06 Bolton St James' 3-0 (1, 202)

1/4/06 Tottenham St. James' (1, 203)

15/4/06 Wigan St. James' (2, 205)

17/4/06 Sunderland Stadium of Light (1, 206)

I remember in Sir Bobs autobiography, Robson went to Shepherd with an idea of selling Shearer to Liverpool for 4 million and bringing this guy in for about 900 grand, as he was the next big thing

Shows old Bobby may have been going a bit doolally prior to his sacking!!!!!!!!!!!!

most importantly

3rd, 4th, 5th,

totally doolally

Guest sicko2ndbest

Don't get us wrong mate, I'm not saying we should've signed him, more just trying to find some justification for how this proves that Robson was going "doolally".  Could've been a Sibierski, for all we know.

Robson was looking to sell him in the 2001/2 season. At the time Shearer was still a 20 goal a seaon striker.

My point is yes agree he might have been a useful squad addition, but Bobby wanted him partnering Bellamy up front as his first choice. Maybe doolally is a bit OTT but there was definately a couple of holes starting to appear in his marble sack if he wanted to go through the season with Mpenza and Bellamy as our front 2, whilst giving Liverpool who at the time were our equals the premieships all time leading striker with a couple of good years still left in the tank.

are you sure it was the time when SBR contemplated selling him to Liverpool?  I'm sure it was the time when Shearer got injured/or we were looking for a strike partner for Shearer and ended up with Carl Cort. Mpenza's name was definitely in the frame then. Mpenza had the potential but has had always had injury problems over the years

*sigh*!

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2000/7/6/197157.html

would he have scored 206 goals in 10 seasons while missing the most part of at least 2 of them is the question you should be asking yourself

Shearer didn't score 206 goals in 10 seasons after Robson tried to sell him.

Robson was looking to sell him in the 2001/2 season. At the time Shearer was still a 20 goal a seaon striker.

My point is yes agree he might have been a useful squad addition, but Bobby wanted him partnering Bellamy up front as his first choice. Maybe doolally is a bit OTT but there was definately a couple of holes starting to appear in his marble sack if he wanted to go through the season with Mpenza and Bellamy as our front 2, whilst giving Liverpool who at the time were our equals the premieships all time leading striker with a couple of good years still left in the tank.

Fair enough.

Is he any good then? I've never seen him play and I can't say I have much expectations of players signed on a free from Al Rayyan...  :undecided:

He's a good player when fit but as I said earlier, his injuries have hindered his career alot.

I think City have done well to get him on a free until the end of the season though if they can get him fit. If not and he's rubbish they can get rid