Polish Road Signs - in Cheshire?!

GM

Polish road signs in Cheshire

LINK: ABSOLUTELY INSANE

Road signs in Polish have been put up in Cheshire to stop Polish-speaking drivers getting confused.

One sign reads "Do A 49 Whitchurch skrec w nastepna droge w prawo" which means "For A49 to Whitchurch turn right at next junction."

Council officials insisted there were practical reasons for the move and denied it was motivated by political correctness.

Some Polish lorry drivers had not understood diversion signs in the past and come "into conflict" with road workers.

The signs were put up at roadworks on the A49 start on Cheshire's border with Shropshire, reports the BBC.

The council said there was a significant Polish population in the Crewe area, thought to be about 3,000, and a number made their living driving commercially.

Cheshire County Council's county engineer, Steve Kent, said: "Polish people are part of the community and we need to cater for their needs."

Fucking ridiculous this, surely? I've no issue with people from the European accession countries coming here to work, all for it where there's a clear economic need and they're providing labour and skills in short supply; but this is just stupid. It's as stupid as the very worst loonie leftie activities of Ken Livingstone's GLC in the 1980s.

Surely, if Polish immigrants are getting lost in the Cheshire countryside they can all just buy SatNav systems with Polish language directions? Or how about learning the fucking lingo? This isn't me being racist - just pragmatic and realistic. Those Polish language road signs will be paid for by the council tax payers...

:idiot2:

I don't see the problem, if the need is there, then why not.

One sign reads "Do A 49 Whitchurch skrec w nastepna droge w prawo" which means "For A49 to Whitchurch turn right at next junction."

Saying that, for something like that, what's wrong with just a normal road sign showing Whitchurch and the A49 off to the right.

Polish road signs in Cheshire

LINK: ABSOLUTELY INSANE

Road signs in Polish have been put up in Cheshire to stop Polish-speaking drivers getting confused.

Council officials insisted there were practical reasons for the move and denied it was motivated by political correctness.

Some Polish lorry drivers had not understood diversion signs in the past and come "into conflict" with road workers.

The signs were put up at roadworks on the A49 start on Cheshire's border with Shropshire, reports the BBC.

The council said there was a significant Polish population in the Crewe area, thought to be about 3,000, and a number made their living driving commercially.

Cheshire County Council's county engineer, Steve Kent, said: "Polish people are part of the community and we need to cater for their needs."

Fucking ridiculous this, surely? I've no issue with people from the European accession countries coming here to work, all for it where there's a clear economic need and they're providing labour and skills in short supply; but this is just stupid. It's as stupid as the very worst loonie leftie activities of Ken Livingstone's GLC in the 1980s.

Surely, if Polish immigrants are getting lost in the Cheshire countryside they can all just buy SatNav systems with Polish language directions? Or how about learning the fucking lingo? This isn't me being racist - just pragmatic and realistic. Those Polish language road signs will be paid for by the council tax payers...

:idiot2:

So you don't think it's "pragmatic and realistic" to prevent a problem that has happened in the past? If polish people are getting lost because they can't read the signs and this is causing problems, how exactly is it not "pragmatic and realistic" to put up signs that they can read, thereby solving the problem? Doesn't seem stupid to me at all, rather it's a simple and sensible solution to the problem.

As for the poor old council tax payers, I reckon that they'll be able to scrape together the tiny fraction of a penny each to pay for this. Also, you seem to be forgetting that the 3,000 Polish people will be paying council tax too, or should those council tax payers' needs be ignored for the sake of a couple of hundred quid's worth of road signs?

I'd say the only "insane" thing about it is that this is deemed newsworthy and that you think it's a big deal.

Now that's Political Incorrectness gone mad!!! ;)

How anyone can think this is fine is beyond me, they need to learn about 10 fucking words to get around the roads but rather than possibly offending the Polish workforce we'd rather make up a shitload of roadsigns? Idiotic.

indi

I just think it smacks of nanny state, PC gone mad. That's my opinion. If people want to come from Poland or wherever to work in the UK, then the very least they should be able to do is READ, SPEAK and UNDERSTAND the English language...or have some means of coping. Do you honestly think if the shoe was on the other foot, the same accommodating measures would be taken by other countries?

indi

I just think it smacks of nanny state, PC gone mad. That's my opinion. If people want to come from Poland or wherever to work in the UK, then the very least they should be able to do is READ, SPEAK and UNDERSTAND the English language...or have some means of coping. Do you honestly think if the shoe was on the other foot, the same accommodating measures would be taken by other countries?

I agree that would be a sensible thing for them to do.

It would also be a sensible thing for anyone visiting any country for whatever reason - a holiday perhaps ;) - to learn enough of the language to get by, what are your views on that, eh?

What happens in other countries is irrelevant really, despite the fact that nearly every other country on the face of the Earth puts significantly more time and effort into learning foreign languages - usually English - than we do. Also, no that I think about it I distinctly remember seeing signs in English in areas of other countries where they might be considered practical, near the port in Calais for example.

It seems to me that these signs have been produced for entirely practical reasons and that PC or morals in general probably never even crossed the minds of those who made the decision, it's much more likely that they simply identified a problem and did something to solve it.

Do you honestly think if the shoe was on the other foot, the same accommodating measures would be taken by other countries?

Dunno like, saw quite a lot of English signs in Prague when I last went and the locals certainly made more effort to speak English to me than I did Czech to them.  I did make the effort to learn "Two pints of beer, marra" in the local lingo mind.  Don't parts of Spain inhabited by a large number of British ex-pats have English signage and require waiters etc to speak some English?  Can't imagine employers over here requesting english waiters to speak Polish or Hindi because there were a lot of a certain kind of immigrant in that area, the tabloids would go bananas.

GM has :cheesy: gone borderline.

Tell you what, Parklife - speaking your mind, rather than speaking the language of the PC brigade out of fear, now that is very cathartic.

Preaching to the converted mate. And I'd rather people said what they felt rather than what they think people want to hear as you know.

indi

It would also be a sensible thing for anyone visiting any country for whatever reason - a holiday perhaps ;) - to learn enough of the language to get by, what are your views on that, eh?

i wouldnt learn a language for a holiday, where as i would for a job... but its completely irrelevant because if i didnt know the language i certainly wouldnt be expecting the country I was visting to have to put up signs in my own language. I'd have to cope or learn... its not hard.

left, right, forward, london, france, diversion, roundabout, stop. EIGHT words.

So they will learn enough to get to one place. I bet you take in an entire new language everytime you visit somewhere different aswell :)

indi

i wouldnt learn a language for a holiday, where as i would for a job... but its completely irrelevant because if i didnt know the language i certainly wouldnt be expecting the country I was visting to have to put up signs in my own language. I'd have to cope or learn... its not hard.

I actually said "enough of the language to get by", didn't I.

Where did you go the last time you went abroad then?