Super fan syndrome

Stevie

Who suffers from it?

Do you ever think to yourself when you're at the match, or when you're reading these message boards "half these cunts haven't got a clue" or "most these cunts wouldn't even like football if it wasn't for SKY and football" or "this cunt should support the club where he was born" or "we never had fans like these in the 80's" or "the young football fans knowledge isn't the same as 15 years ago".  All are ignorant attitudes and all of these points of view I find myself being guilty of at times.  At least I admit it. 

On the face of it I'm a great toon fan, I've had a season ticket for 12 of the last 14 seasons, but not got one now and have only been to four games this season, for financial reasons, but will be getting a ST next.  I didn't miss a home game full stop between 1989 and 1997, but at the end of the day with me not being there as much this season, who am I to fuckin look down my nose at Cedric Bosworth from Surrey who has two platinum club tickets for him and the son?  Fair enough he can't remember toon fans celebrating when Mark Stimson was sent off that time, but he is putting money in to the club.

Who else admits they think they're superior to other toon fans, and admits it doesn't matter how hard they fight, they look down their nose at some of our support?

Yeah I get it.

The biggest problem I have is people who pretend to support the club, but actually don't really give a toss. Most of the people on this message board are sound in that respect - they wouldn't be here if they didn't have a genuine and prolonged interest.

There's two people, one who I used to go to school with and who lived with my best mate last year and another who lives with another very good friend of mine, who I have a very big problem with and Newcastle United coming up in conversation with them just riles me. They're the type of people who you can be talking to and they'll say "what you doing tonight?" "oh I'm going to the match" and they'll say "oh right, are we playing?". Are we playing ffs?

The latter is really well off too, he's a student from Cheshire and lives in a house in Heaton that he owns through a huge inheritance, and the rent from the other students pays the mortgage. He's got two mega flash cars and could so easily afford to go to the match every single week, home and away, but I've never known him to go at all. They try and talk to me about players and matches and I just don't even listen, I just think "you haven't got a fucking clue what you're talking about".

I've got no problem with someone who doesn't support us, people can do what they like, but those who pretend to really piss me off.

I can only relate to my experience with Australia (or Australian league) matches - and will admit I do feel a bit like a soopafan, but only because football fans in Australia are so schizophrenic. There are tens of thousands of newer, ignorant and casual fans who have no understanding or appreciation of the game - as well as those long standing fans who know they are being served up dross.

For Stevie's comment "most these cunts wouldn't even like football if it wasn't for SKY and football" here it would read "if it wasn't for the World Cup" and "half these cunts haven't got a clue" - more like three-quarters!

Listening to a rugby fan try to explain what's happening on the pitch to his equally ignorant girlfriend is both embarrassing and amusing at the same time...

I get it quite a bit, but not so much on here!

The problem being in France is you get a lot of Arsenal fans, and plastic ones of loads the bigger teams... and when I get into a conversation with them about English football it often transpires that I know more about "their" club than they do.

Like a conversation I was third wheel in at a party last year about English footie... The bloke was saying how big a fan he was of Liverpool, the other guy asked what big name players do they have, and the first name he came up with was Baros... Didn't have the heart to tell him he had gone to Villa and just walked away really.

For Stevie's comment "most these cunts wouldn't even like football if it wasn't for SKY and football" here it would read "if it wasn't for the World Cup" and "half these cunts haven't got a clue" - more like three-quarters!

this is a wierd point for me, because where i'm from(states), there was no big professional league until 1996, and i was still a few hundred miles away from the nearest team.  So when i was younger, and even til maybe 4 years ago, i didn't follow football at all, i just played.but then after a few developments, i started to closely folow newcasdtle and an american teamits obviously different in england, but for a lot of other peopel without professional leagues around, something like the world cup is a greay way to start following the game (happened this summer with a lot of my friends)

I get it quite a bit, but not so much on here!

The problem being in France is you get a lot of Arsenal fans, and plastic ones of loads the bigger teams... and when I get into a conversation with them about English football it often transpires that I know more about "their" club than they do.

Like a conversation I was third wheel in at a party last year about English footie... The bloke was saying how big a fan he was of Liverpool, the other guy asked what big name players do they have, and the first name he came up with was Baros... Didn't have the heart to tell him he had gone to Villa and just walked away really.

aghh, i hate going to parties, seeing someone in a football top, so i'll start talking about their team's tactics and whatnot and they dont even know the current squad. always akward.

"When did we sell Bellamy?"

"I heard Souness got sacked the other day"

"Did we beat Liverpool last weekend?"

All this kinda trash, those that have a half interest who cant really be bothered to follow it properly. I have no problems with those who couldnt care less about football, but the inbetweenies are the ones that need slapping.

Too right, everyone who starts to follow a team should know everything within 5 seconds.

No, none of this bothers me as much up-themselves footy types looking down their noses at casual supporters. At least some of you realise it's pretty sad.

Too right, everyone who starts to follow a team should know everything within 5 seconds.

No, none of this bothers me as much up-themselves footy types looking down their noses at casual supporters. At least some of you realise it's pretty sad.

Im not talking about those who have followed their team for 5 mins, I mean "United (Man) all my life" fans who barely know anyone who isnt a regular in the first 11.

Oh fair enough, I'm just thinking say in terms of my extended family, most would claim to support Newcastle, and they vary between a nephew, whose knowledge is frightening, and others who are just vaguely pleased if we win. I'm happy to go to a game with any of them.

I know loads of people at work who although they claim to support Newcastle they really dont have a clue.

They dont go to matches, dont even bother to go to the pub to watch them as most matches are on one channel or another, ill ask them if they saw the score lat night and they didnt even know we were playing half the time yet I find myself talking to them and getting in an argument about Newcastle,  players and just the game in general and it really pisses me off.

Like last week I was talking to this bloke about players who played 5 years ago but arent around now, then he claimed most of them couldnt make it today as the game is so much faster and better now than it was in 2002.

Thats complete and utter bullshit and told him so but he dismissed what I was saying and that had me raging inside like how the f*** does he know? Ive went home and away for years while he watches the odd game usually the big four on the telly.   :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

You still couldn't beat it when Gemmill lambasted that lad for blaming the fans who go to matches for the poor performances when he was sat a couple of thousand miles away in Pakistan at the time. :lol:

Yeah I remember that. 

class!  ;D

I do sometimes.

I went to my first game in 1985, and was going regularly from about 1989/1990.

A few years ago I used to look down on people who didn't go to the cup games, but I'm in a position now where I haven't got a lot of money and I can't get to all the Cup games myself. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be able to afford a season ticket next year yet - as I'm leaving Uni this summer and have to find a job.

So now I can appreciate that often people don't go - not because they aren't bothered but because they can't afford to go to every game etc.

I know that there's been a pre-Keegan superiority thing as well, but I'm not sure how relevant that is now. The pre-Keegan days were 15 years ago now, so there's a hell of a lot of kids - teenagers even who weren't even born back then let alone were old enough to go to the match. I was 6 when I went to my first game, but 10 or 11 before I was going to every home game, so there are maybe 20-25 year olds who didn't go pre-Keegan simply because of their age.

There are a few Toon fans here in Coventry,quite a lot in fact.Some of us get together and go when the Toon are in the Midlands or London.My first Toon game was cup final of 74,I was 6 at the time and me dad took us.Coventry has a real cosmopolitan football support.More people here support other teams rather than the local shite.This year for the first time in a while the Man U shirts are on parade,but theres plenty of black and white stripes around this neck of the woods.

I am insanely jealous of you boys who go week in -week out,its one of the problems of loving your team who are 250 miles away,so in that respect alot of you are superior supporters to me,but i have all of the shirts and a tattoo to compensate.It doesn't matter,we're all pissing in the same pot in the end.Thats why we're named Newcastle United.

I do sometimes.

I went to my first game in 1985, and was going regularly from about 1989/1990.

A few years ago I used to look down on people who didn't go to the cup games, but I'm in a position now where I haven't got a lot of money and I can't get to all the Cup games myself. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be able to afford a season ticket next year yet - as I'm leaving Uni this summer and have to find a job.

So now I can appreciate that often people don't go - not because they aren't bothered but because they can't afford to go to every game etc.

I know that there's been a pre-Keegan superiority thing as well, but I'm not sure how relevant that is now. The pre-Keegan days were 15 years ago now, so there's a hell of a lot of kids - teenagers even who weren't even born back then let alone were old enough to go to the match. I was 6 when I went to my first game, but 10 or 11 before I was going to every home game, so there are maybe 20-25 year olds who didn't go pre-Keegan simply because of their age.

Spot on Im in that category as well, first game attended was 1994, I was about 12 at the time and had to beg my dad to take me (who doesnt like football), so I would say about 90% of people aged 28 or under were not 'regular' match goers pre Keegan which is a huge chunk of the support if you think about it especially at away games.

And even if they were they would of been so young as to not know what was going on really.

I take every season ticket holders views as equal, but little shits "Titus is wank cos he is" etc I can't be doing with.  And then theres the cunts, "He's shit cos he's from Spain" FUCK OFF.  Give a decent view of anything NUFC with reasoning and I'll listen to it.  I'm shite at dishing out e-pain to people who's views I disagree with, so I'm actually unable to look down at anybody.  And the fact that I go to about 4 games a season doesn't help.

Guest Knightrider

People have to remember in Newcastle (especially), many people refer to NUFC as "we" or "us" and will quite happily debate football and NUFC matters with you the uber fan/season ticket holder etc. even if they don't go to the matches themselves, or take that keen an interest in the club. Newcastle is quite unique like that and I personally think this is a good thing, if not annoying at times. Take a chat I had with an old bloke the other day at the bairn's training session, he doesn't go to the games and isn't very knowledgeable about NUFC matters, but when the conversation did turn to NUFC, he had his say and referred to the club as "us" or "we". My mother's the same, she'd struggle to name 5 of our players and you're talking years the last time she would have seen us live - even on the box, but after every match she'll say: "I see we won/lost at the weekend" or say something like "that Roeder isn't doing too well is he, won't be long before he gets the sack" etc. etc.

Well I have been a fan since I can remember. I remember my Dad (Arsenal fan) and mum (W-Ham fan) trying to tempt me to the darkside as a kid. I think my dad even offered to take me to Highbury once or twice but I declined. I grew up in North Notts so every man and his dog was a forest fan, there were the odd Sheffield Wednesday/United or Derby fan and of course the plastic manu fans.

Now it was about the time I picked up my first pair of football gloves that I needed a goalkeepers top. And so I brought the blue grey keepers top with the big blue star logo. About this time we got sky and began to look out for Newcastle with a growing interest and so developed a desire to be Pavel Srníček  ;D.

This built over time to the point where I am still "supporting" Newcastle.

Unfortunately I can't afford to go to a single match (Uni costs) and before that my parents couldn't afford it really either.

So I hope one day to enter SJP and hold a season ticket in my hands.  :D

Just got to get through this course! :)

Hate me if you wish but that is my story. I know some people won't see me as a "tr00 fan" or whatever.

Guest Gemmill

You still couldn't beat it when Gemmill lambasted that lad for blaming the fans who go to matches for the poor performances when he was sat a couple of thousand miles away in Pakistan at the time. :lol:

Fully deserved. :razz: