Reading

Guest geordie gent

Good god no.

Lets see how Reading do next season. See Jewell, but at least Jewell hasnt got anyone relegated from the premiership..yet.

Offer Coppell a decent wage for being a club cleaner and he would drop whichever club he manages in an instant.

That said he is a southerner through and through dont know if he would want to handle moving too much further than the midlands.

If people want coppell, why not look at Moyes, Coleman, Jewell, Pearce et al.. Mediocre coach at best.

Personally I think he is detestable.. but he has done well for himself this season.. FINALLY.

I guess if Big Sam can do it, why not... cant see him much better than Dave Basset myself.

Good god no.

Lets see how Reading do next season. See Jewell, but at least Jewell hasnt got anyone relegated from the premiership..yet.

Offer Coppell a decent wage for being a club cleaner and he would drop whichever club he manages in an instant.

That said he is a southerner through and through dont know if he would want to handle moving too much further than the midlands.

If people want coppell, why not look at Moyes, Coleman, Jewell, Pearce et al.. Mediocre coach at best.

Personally I think he is detestable.. but he has done well for himself this season.. FINALLY.

I guess if Big Sam can do it, why not... cant see him much better than Dave Basset myself.

Southerner thru and thru? He's from Liverpool...spent his entire playing career in the North West, and has already "managed" up here too...

The detestable bit is bang on tho IMO :thup:

Good god no.

Southerner thru and thru? He's from Liverpool...spent his entire playing career in the North West, and has already "managed" up here too...

The detestable bit is bang on tho IMO :thup:

Wow he wasn't a very good footballer if he only played for Carlisle throughout his career.

I think he has done a fantastic job at Reading, but this comment for me is bang on. If he manages to do well with them next season, too, then he'll earn the plaudits.

I do wonder about his mentality, though. That Man Citeh episode was somewhat odd.

Guest Knightrider

Pardew deserves a lot of credit for the set-up he left Coppell, the foundations were already in place and he's just brought things together. Reading are a classic example of a well run club that has achieved great things due to having no superstars, good coaches, hungry players and with a good vibe about the place. Those kind of set-ups never last however because the players eventually stop overachieving and the purple patch ends, or expectations rise and the tight bond squad gets broken up due to the arrival of a few expensive players on higher wages, or the break-up of the squad due to players leaving for pastures new. I'll be amazed if Reading carry on their form next season or if Coppell continues to defy people.

They say every dog has his day, and this is Coppell's day.

Guest Gemmill

Good god no.

How can you find someone "detestable" without even realising that they have a scouse accent?

Pardew deserves a lot of credit for the set-up he left Coppell, the foundations were already in place and he's just brought things together.

Right and right. Look at Wigan and Jewell. Sidwell is as good as gone. Imagine they'll lose a few more as well. Just waiting until the last day of the season to see who'll pull a Chimbonda.

Can't believe that people are writing off Coppell just because they thought they have seen other managers wither and Coppell would join them sooner or later.

Is Coppell's Reading a fluke? I don't think so.

Good functioning tactics (tactics that are working, ie not simply relying on individual players' brilliance)

Squad depth - In fact too many good central defenders. It'll be hard to replace Sidwell, but I trust Coppell to find the decent replacement, just like how he found new defenders once he discovered that his centre backs are not top notch. Furthermore, the only way out for Sidwell is down, assuming he doesn't go to any of the top 4 club, and assuming Reading maintains their current position till end of season.

Doyle, Lita

(Kitson, Long)

Convey, Harper, Sidwell, Little

(Oster, Hunt, Seol)

Shorey, Bikey, Sonko, Murty

(Ingimarsson, Sodje, Duberry, Bennett, Halford, De La Cruz)

Hahnemann

(Federici)

Supportive Chairman - No big money, but a chairman who trusts and supports his manager

Big City - Decent fan base, decent stadium. A sustainable club.

The technicalities that Delima has stressed are not incorrect.

However, and i know this sounds corny, but in football and regarding a situation like this - i'd prefer to go by fate than facts.

Ipswich

Sunderland

West Ham

Wigan

Birmingham

Even the likes of Blackburn who were relegated not long after they won the league

I've seen it far too many times before to believe anything other than Reading are going to go the same way. Smashing team with some smashing tactics and some great players, but what makes Reading any different to the other teams who have overachieved in their first season?

Pardew deserves a lot of credit for the set-up he left Coppell, the foundations were already in place and he's just brought things together. Reading are a classic example of a well run club that has achieved great things due to having no superstars, good coaches, hungry players and with a good vibe about the place. Those kind of set-ups never last however because the players eventually stop overachieving and the purple patch ends, or expectations rise and the tight bond squad gets broken up due to the arrival of a few expensive players on higher wages, or the break-up of the squad due to players leaving for pastures new. I'll be amazed if Reading carry on their form next season or if Coppell continues to defy people.

A lot of truth in that post - but I think that with John Madejeski running things everyone knows where they stand  - there is NO MONEY for anyone - hell, their top player is on less than £ 25 a week and their transfer budget is next to nowt

On the other hand according to todays Indie Reading's players have averaged 151 games each for the club - only ManU (225) and Liverpool ( 165) have  a more experienced squad at the club - we come 5th on 146 - so they benifit from a  very strong team ethic  - Fulham's palyers average 80 games with the  club