Tunes that actually mean something.

indi

I just listened to The Old Man's Back Again by Scott Walker, which is about Uncle Joe Stalin and I wondered whether anyone knows any other tunes that are actually about something interesting? ie not some bog-standard identi-kit boy-meets-girl boy-loses-girl love-song bollocks.

So, do you know any tunes with interesting stories behind them?

If so, come on share the wealth.

That one that goes "he's not heavy, he's my brother" has an interesting story behind it. Cant remember what it is though ;)

I think its about a kids home in the States.Theres a statue of the guy who founded it in whatever city its in,with his catchphrase(He ain't heavy,he's my brother) underneath it.Sorry can't remember any more detail,there is a lot more though.

A Day in the Life by the Beatles - story of Paul McCartney's 'death' as told by John Lennon who had got sick of people minutely analysing his lyrics.

Great song.

Agreed,but how many mediocre/bad tracks did The Beatles record?Not many.

Guest TheOrder

Linkin Park - In the End

Eminem- Most of his songs (Sing for the moment is a good one)

Well,most songs mean something,i guess it will be harder to find songs that don't mean anything..

I was tempted to report this post to the moderator, really. Linkin Park have never shoddily created anything meaningful, ever.

Guest Bellers

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut. The whole album is baased around the second world war. "Gunners Dream" in particular is pretty morbid but at the same time musically brilliant.

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt.

What's that about?  I just thought Trent Reznor was a whiny bitch.  Johnny gave the song all its gravity as a man of significant years who had the life experience to justify it?

Great lyrics though.

Bob Dylan hardly ever sings a song without significance, but Hurricaine (the wronful imprisonment of a black boxer who was framed - inspired the same film) and The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol (about a wealthy farmer who got off scott free after killing a black servant in a crowded room) are the best real stories he does as opposed to ideals based.

John Lennon did John Sinclair and Attica State.

That Night is a great song by Atmosphere about a rape and killing at his gig.

Guest TheOrder

Spinal Tap- Stonehenge

In ancient times, hundreds of years before the

dawn of history.

There lived a strange race of people...the Druids.

No one knows who they were, or what they were doing...

but their legacy remains...

hewn into the living rock of Stonehenge...

:coolsmiley: :thup: