One player to change Newcastle United

Guest icemanblue

Guest icemanblue

Ok, picture the scene.  A reclusive billionaire buys the club. Fat Fred is out on his arse and all is well.

You're the manager. Your intention is to rebuild the squad. Choose the one player in the whole wide world (current players) that you'd build your team around and explain your choice....

Mine would be Kaka. Still young, versatile, great attacking midfielder.

Discuss.

fabregas, his passing and vision to the game is bound to be even better, and with our pacey attack he would be immense in central.

i think fabregas will be immense the next seasons, shame he is on arsenals XI :\

Guest WalkervilleMag

Samuel Eto'o.  Best striker in the world, his game has everything.  He could form a good partnership with Owen or Martins, in fact he could even do it with Shola.

he looks good in a good Barca team granted,  but i thought he was shyte for Mallorca at St James Pk

Samuel Eto'o.  Best striker in the world, his game has everything.  He could form a good partnership with Owen or Martins, in fact he could even do it with Shola.

he looks good in a good Barca team granted,  but i thought he was shyte for Mallorca at St James Pk

Ronaldinho has been anonymous on many occasions for Barcelona too esp this season, and he was shyte for Paris Saint Germain (ask any PSG fan!). Not saying I wouldn't have him here like but I'd take a few players before Ronaldinho ;)

Guest WalkervilleMag

Ronaldinho has been anonymous on many occasions for Barcelona too esp this season, and he was shyte for Paris Saint Germain (ask any PSG fan!). Not saying I wouldn't have him here like but I'd take a few players before Ronaldinho ;)

Ronaldhino is probably the main reason Barca are still top of the league this season. without him, i doublt they would be in the top 4 at the moment.

Ronaldhino is probably the main reason Barca are still top of the league this season. without him, i doublt they would be in the top 4 at the moment.

fair enough but I do think people cream themselves over Ronaldinho too much

John Terry. A dominating centre back can make a tremendous difference all the way through a side. It's far easier to commit men forward if you know you're safe at the back.

Im thinking this, not sure of him at international level but he is made for the premiership and although he has had injury problems this season I believe his overall record is pretty good. A rock at the back can help you start to build the rest of the team.

Jenas..

fabregas, his passing and vision to the game is bound to be even better, and with our pacey attack he would be immense in central.

i think fabregas will be immense the next seasons, shame he is on arsenals XI :\

Seriously though.. what he said.

John Terry. A dominating centre back can make a tremendous difference all the way through a side. It's far easier to commit men forward if you know you're safe at the back.

Ditto

Didn't people learn any lessons from 95/96

Guest Knightrider

Wayne Rooney, 20 years old, already a top-class player, some would say world-class (ability wise without doubt), best years ahead of him, real team player, good character on the pitch, creates and scores, all-round brilliant player.

A Geordie John Terry would be ideal, because I'm not sure if he'd be as good as he is for Chelsea playing for Newcastle. Obviously he'd still be a quality player, but would he really be THAT brilliant for us in terms of leadership/popularity with the fans/relating to the club?

I know it's speculation, but there's food for thought there. He embodies Chelsea, much like Shearer embodied us, it's hard to replace that at a new club.

With that in mind I'd go for Cristiano Ronaldo. Exciting to watch, improving all the time, nerves of steel and the best player in the business at running at people and committing defenders. I'd offer him more of a free role than he gets currently at Man Utd and I'd basically let him rip people a new arsehole. He's proving all the time that he can score goals with either foot, he sets up a fair few and he's decent in the air. He's about as close to an all-round attacking player as I can think of.

Guest Hodgson09

Maybe I have a different football philosophy to most people but you cannot build a team around one player to do so is a nonsense. Because a team is a group of individuals working together to achieve a common goal, not a group of individuals supporting another persons strengths and masking their weaknesses. That is where teams go wrong buying one player and trying to build the whole team around that one player, for instance Shearer the team was built around him to support his game. IMO it was the wrong thing to do, as a manager you have to have your own football brain and know how you want the game to be played by your side, you then collect a group of individuals to work together to complete the goal of winning.  You do not go oh Ronaldinho is the best player in the world so i'll build my team around him. To indentify the players you need to play your game you need to know everything about the players your interested in football wise, and character wise.

you have a back with billions thats great you can buy 22 players for that with change, so you know you want to play attacking football there would be a few things essential of all your players they all have to have a couple of things in common, pace of movement, excellent passing ability, and posistioning skills(also known as reading of the game, good football brain etc). You then want to segment each area of the team into 7 groups, Goalkeepers, Right Side of Defence, Right side of Midfield, Right side of attack, Left Side of Defence, Left side of Midfield, and Left side of Attack. Easy to work out everyone on the right is right dominant everyone on the left is left dominant, ofcourse having so much money the class of player at your disposal means that you can be so selective and be sure to have players who are not one footed. To be completely successful you need 22 first team players, by that i mean 22 players who are selected to play based on the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent not because you think they deserve a game. Feelings cannot come into it you need to surround yourself with the best of the best, that means scouting coaches as well as players physios, sports doctors, massage therapists, psychologists ( trust me it's important), there is so much involved in creating the perfect team, unless they are an expert your friends should stay in the stands(good players don't make good coaches, if anything they make quite bad ones), I thought Jose was on his way to achieving it he had the right mentality but interefering bosses seem to have thrown a spanner in the works by dictating which players should be signed. I could yap on for hours about the perfect team but it certainly doesn't involve building around one player for 5-10 years. I actually think i could create a decent top 4 side for not much money at all it is all about indentifying talent, scouting the players yourself going to obscure places, gambling on tempermental players, but i think it could be done for around 20 million. I would however need a year to identify and sign each player that was required, so into the second year we would be challenging for a top four spot. I think Owen is great but spunking vast somes of money on sole players is like a bandaid sure it keeps the dirt out but it falls off eventually and all your left with is a soggy scab. Considering almost 30 million was spent on him and Luque and we have had around 20 games total and around 10 goals no one can say it is worth it.

Without Shearer Bobby Robson would have won the title unfortunately for him he had a player who was Mr Newcastle, who the team was designed around that couldn't be sold because he was a Geordie and practically decided who came and who went. Without Shearer Robson could have chosen the exact system he wanted to play instead of covering up the weaknesses in Shearer's game. Don't get me wrong Big Al was a great player but Bobby Robson helped make sure he retired at the top of the history books. I honestly believe a Shearerless Newcastle would have won the league by now or at least a trophy. Sorry Al you just became bigger than the club and you started the trend of trophy players instead of trophy winning players, you should have went to Man U we would all have been better off instead of being left in your shadow. Not your fault though again it is the people who run this club ok(inside a NUFC chairmans office) we'll sign the best Striker in the world (he was fucking amazing) and thats um where the plan ends, he'll carry us on his shoulders scoring goals, then he'll retire one day and we'll buy one of the best strikers in the world (Owen) and he'll carry us with his goals......oh shit he's injured oh fuck what do we do, sack the manager, appoint someone cheap oh that fella in the youth system he'll do...didn't he used to play for us? he's like an adopted geordie that'll keep em interested until after the world cup then we'll have our savi.... you've got to be kidding injured again, our master plan is falling apart, does this mean we will have to spend some money? Hold the phone this new fella actually wants to build a team, he wants to buy some hold on I always forget this one....you know they play near the goalie... defenders? Yeah thats the ones, you and me know the only important players are Strikers, So who else does he want? Well there is this Martins fellow... Where does he play? Oh some foreign country.. What position Shep? em hold on let me look sez he is a striker... We'll sign him up then! What about these other players? Lets just say that they were unavailable that always works, we'll sign a free transfer on deadline day ofcourse he'll be a STRIKER, but we don't need those players at the back, maybe we'll sign one on loan in January...that will keep us in the league until Shearer is ready to Manage the club he knows what we want more of the same Excellent Strikers none of this defending stuff....because i'd rather us lose 4-3 than win 1-0 all the time. Ok it's time to go to Barbados to see the mistress.

Rant over. Oh wait no it isn't Freddy Shepherd go fuck yourself.

I'd say we already got the one player i'd have always wanted to join us (i.e. the one player to change the toon) in mr. obafemi....But if i could have another one.....Probably....Erm....some defender who is solid so Mr. Terry i think.....Because he still has a long life left if he stays injury free and he would be the ultimate role model and mentor for stevie taylor...

Yeaaah...