King Kev praises Roeder

Leazes1986

KK hails Toon boss

Feb 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Kevin Keegan has praised "the great job" one of his successors, Glenn Roeder, is doing at Newcastle United.

And Keegan's words come just days after fellow United legend Alan Shearer told The Chronicle how well he thought Roeder had done in the circumstances.

In a rare interview, Keegan said: "Glenn Roeder was a player when I was skipper at St James' Park when we won promotion in the 1980s, and I am very proud of the way he has tackled the managerial job at Newcastle United.

"It is a different job to the one I had when I came in as manager when I was given the money to save us from going down into the old Third Division.

"Glenn has not had that much to spend, but he was asked to stabilise the club and that's what he has done. And he can be proud of what he has achieved this season when you take into account the injuries Newcastle have had.

"With no Alan Shearer for the first time in 10 years this was always going to be a very difficult season for my old club, and Glenn was not helped when Michael Owen was injured playing for England before a ball was kicked.

"But Glenn has never once whinged about the injuries and just got on with the job, and he can be proud at what he has achieved in what have been very difficult circumstances."

As it happens, Keegan and Roeder are the two most successful managers in United's history when it comes to winning games.

Keegan is at the top with a 56% win record, with Roeder the next best, winning 51% of his 61 games in charge at St James' with 31 victories.

Even Sir Bobby Robson, who did such a great job, can only boast a 47% winning record, while Joe Harvey - the last United manager to win a trophy - is on 39%.

Roeder knows that there is still a lot to be done at St James' and he is not the sort of man who needs his ego polished, but he admits to feeling "honoured" that first Shearer and now Keegan have come out publicly and said how well they thought he was doing in the United hot seat.

The United boss told me today: "Kevin Keegan was the reason I came to Newcastle United as a player from Queens Park Rangers and, while I only had five months in the same team, they were five terrific months.

"Both Kevin and Alan Shearer are icons and legends on Tyneside, and I would not be human if I did not appreciate what they have said.

"Kevin himself appreciates just how hard it is to be a manager, not only here at Newcastle United but also at Fulham and Manchester City and England."

Agree with him. Think Roeder has done a very good job with what he has worked with. Tin hat on when all the Roeder critics read it.

Guest icemanblue

Amen to that. People can slate Roeder all they want, but he really has done the business with what has been available to him.

Oh, in my opinion, sorry.

His tactics and decision making when things are going wrong.. and sometimes right.

Also think he tends to shoot himself in the foot with some of his press statements, why make the job harder for yourself by setting limits and statements on transfers, he also gets a bit monotonous with his statements, but on the whole he usually makes sense and doesnt moan.

Im more than happy with him at the moment though. I dont think we would bring anyone in better than Roeder.. and even if we did it would be another few steps and seasons backwards before we go forwards again.

Its progress under Roeder but its very slow. Full steam ahead.

I'd certainly like Roeder to be a long term part of the coaching staff in one way or another... but I don't really trust his decision making as the main man.

I agree with this as well. To me Roeder seems like a bloke who has his head screwed on and who could be a massive asset to this football club for years into the future, but personally I'd prefer a stronger personality as the manager. For now he's doing a good job on limited resources, but the real test comes when he has most of his big players fit and he has to decide between people, and when the summer transfer window rolls around, of course.

Fact of the matter is that next season finishing outside of the European places will simply not be acceptable, he's got away with it a bit this term because of the number of injuries we've had and the amount of games we've had to play, not to mention what appears to be a lack of funds in the coffers (January-wise.)

How's this for an analogy?

He's been handed a huge hole to dig and at first he had a JCB to do it with (the upturn in mood after Sourmess left), then in summer he was downgraded to a shovel as we didn't have enough money to totally overhaul the squad, but enough to get some decent players in. January saw Roeder with only a spoon to dig it with (Gooch on loan), he's getting there but it certainly won't be a quick process. Let's hope he gets the shovel back this summer, at least.

That's brilliant work, I reckon.

Guest Knightrider

His tactics and decision making when things are going wrong.. and sometimes right.

Also think he tends to shoot himself in the foot with some of his press statements, why make the job harder for yourself by setting limits and statements on transfers, he also gets a bit monotonous with his statements, but on the whole he usually makes sense and doesnt moan.

Im more than happy with him at the moment though. I dont think we would bring anyone in better than Roeder.. and even if we did it would be another few steps and seasons backwards before we go forwards again.

Its progress under Roeder but its very slow. Full steam ahead.

All managers speak crap in the media and contradict themselves regularly, if fans stopped reading too much into what is copyfiller or soundbites, it wouldn't piss anyone off. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

when people talk about the pressures on Glenn and he moans about having to manage the club, take training prepare for a match whilst sorting transfers out, he would be so under pressure if he didnt come out setting standards.

He doesnt help himself by saying we are after X amount of players and players in these positions at the start of the window, or setting himself targets that will increase that pressure.

For instance when in the past has another manager spoken about targets this year, let alone the official website publish quotes talking about potential players.

Id prefer him to just keep quiet. If we get the players he is linking us to fine, but he is making himself look like a twat when they go elsewhere.

He bends to far too please the fans sometimes. But of course thats not a bad thing, he is better than that though, he has more than the majority of the fans support, something his predecessor never had, he doesnt need to try so hard to impress.

KK hails Toon boss

Feb 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

...As it happens, Keegan and Roeder are the two most successful managers in United's history when it comes to winning games.

Keegan is at the top with a 56% win record, with Roeder the next best, winning 51% of his 61 games in charge at St James' with 31 victories.

Even Sir Bobby Robson, who did such a great job, can only boast a 47% winning record, while Joe Harvey - the last United manager to win a trophy - is on 39%...

f*** me!  Roeder is better than the last manager to win a trophy now?  And the World renowned top class manager Sir Bobby Robson?  He must be good.

But wait, he's s***.  I'm so confused, you can't argue with numbers can you?

Amen to that. People can slate Roeder all they want, but he really has done the business with what has been available to him.

Please!  The whole "look what I have had to deal with" bollocks is exactly that.  Roeder can't handle pressure.  He isn't a manager that will build success.  If he had taken over after Clueless, we'd be in just as big a mess as we were post-Clueless because he'd have steered us downwards just as quickly.

In my opinion of course.

The numbers are a bit odd because (for instance) he's been able to rack up a lot of easy wins in the UEFA cup, while Robson had to play Champions League group games. However the number I'm interested in is the one someone posted a couple of weeks back, which was the number of league points he'd picked up in his first full year.

I think it was 65 or 63, which is really rather good.

Not sure we'll make that this season, although it's possible. But I'd see over 60 as a realistic target for next season.

The numbers are a bit odd because (for instance) he's been able to rack up a lot of easy wins in the UEFA cup, while Robson had to play Champions League group games. However the number I'm interested in is the one someone posted a couple of weeks back, which was the number of league points he'd picked up in his first full year.

I think it was 65 or 63, which is really rather good.

Not sure we'll make that this season, although it's possible. But I'd see over 60 as a realistic target for next season.

His win ratio in the league (which is the best one to judge him against others imo) is about 50%, which is pretty damn good. I'd say it's slightly misleading as it doesn't take into account losses, draws, etc. and he's only been manager for a year too. He's doing ok though.

Guest andynufc84

People seem to get worried "oh no we're going to be midtable", demanding instant success.  People must remember bobby came11th 2 years before getting us up there.

Exactly, 11th under SBR in his first full seaon in charge, I bet we finish higher than that this season.

At least Roeder needs more time to prove his worth, he deserves that at least. Inevitably the acid test is next season and I hope he can be a success, however only time will tell.

What a load of fucking bullshit.

If you look back on every Roeder interview, injuries are always mentioned/eluded to very strongly.

Roeder isn't the same bracket as Robson, sympa.

Mr positive as fucking usual. Maybe you'd like Rafael Nadal as the manager, then you can suck his, i mean, support him a little better.

I've always been supportive of Roeder as we've always needed a manager who can stabilize the club and work his way upwards. I believe Glenn is slowly but surely getting this club in a better position then it has been in the past few years, hes bought well so far and I think he can get the club further n further back up the table to where we'd like to be. Not where we deserve to be because we don't deserve to be anywhere, despite what all the Keegan people think. That was over 10 years ago....things change and I think we're evolving