Michael Owen - Return date?

Dokko

Up and running (hard as well) for the first time this season and apparently doing well. GR has mentioned this (also .cock has shown the world he's running) and SSN's just had Shay Given on talking about Owen. Owen himself is becoming more vocal in the last week or so releasing comments on his own Fitness, England and Shevchenko.

Does this mean he's closer to a return than we are all thinking?

NUFC seem confident we'll see him again this season, and every article seems to be filled with more optimism, but no confirmation of his return (dont want egg on their faces i suppose) only talking up his talent and how much of a boost he would be.

The last few articles lead me to believe that Owen is actually closer to 1st team training than we all think. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw him return mid March to the team, only a month away. In that time we only have 2 EPL games, Owen could be coming back at a extremely vital time, and the boost would be immense if it does happen.

But something in the back of my mind is nagging away. I don know if footballers get paid over the summer while not playing, but if they do, and Owen isn't back till mid April would it be worth us playing him?

Basically it would mean us paying his massive wages again, which if he's back in March is worth doing, and if they dont get paid over the summer then yes, but for the sake of one month of football for Owen we could end up having to pay for the several months over the summer when he's still not playing. We might as well let the FA keep picking up the bill until the start of the next season if that's the case.

Another thing to think about is Liverpool needing a true goalscorer, and with Bellamy almost certain to leave Liverpool and even more certain the amount of money they'll have to spend, am sure its not long before Liverpool inquire about one of their favorite sons. 2 + 2 = 8 etc etc...But i think if we receive an offer over £14m, we'd accept and he'd want to leave. If so and we dont play him, he's not been that much of a financial disaster. The FA have paid him for the last year, and we've got most if not all of our money back, that's a lot of IFs though, but another scenario which wouldn't be too bad.

Two questions that will forever hang over Owen's NUFC career (for however long that lasts): When will he be back from injury? Will he be here next window?

No escaping them, and i cannot see in the future that changing.

I hope he gets back in the next month, goes an amazing run, helps us in the UEFA and gets us up the table, and is fighting fit for next season, its just nice to be talking about a return a month or so away, but thats if everything goes right, which with Owen if hardly does, and with NUFC its a dead cert not to.

I dont see Rafa as the sentimental type so Owen being 1 of Liverpools "favourate sons" wouldnt count for much in Rafa eyes. Rafa will only get a player he feels will fit into his squad and his system and not a player he'll need to change his system to accommodate.

Owen is going nowhere until at least the end of next season.

Whilst you can never say never in football, there is next to no chance of Owen going anywhere after all the faith, money and time we have invested in him, he is happy up here and he is a honest pro. He will see out his deal here unless we push him out.

I think he will be at least back on the bench by the end of March.. Hoping he will take some party of the city at home game Im coming up for.

Guest TheOrder

Solano, loads of nobby shirts.

Owen will help us win the uefa cup i can feel it.

He won't be back for Alkmaar.

Why are people overestimating Alkmaar?

They are a decent club, but chuck them in the prem and they'd be another Villa/Spurs etc.

Nowt to worry about imo.

Why would footballers not get paid during the summer  :idiot2:

Up until the 1960s you only got paid when you played games... Maybe Toon's Taylor is really an 80 year old man.

Newcastle Rocker:

I think if we met Villa in the next round we would be equally cautious. Although I think the comparison to Spurs is a bit harsh... they aren't THAT bad.

Why would footballers not get paid during the summer  :idiot2:

Up until the 1960s you only got paid when you played games... Maybe Toon's Taylor is really an 80 year old man.

It could of been a possibility, was mainly thinking of smaller clubs who balance on a monthly tightrope and struggle to reach the end of each month paying their players. Then the summer comes, no income at all but still having to pay wages, how do they survive?

So if we play Owen in the final month we pay £1.6m in wages for it (About £100kpw over a 4month period until the season starts up) is it worth doing or is it worth letting the FA pick up the tab until the new season starts?

Why are people overestimating Alkmaar?

You noticed that too?

Going into the the group stages you would've thought we were up against Barca, Inter, Werder Bremen, and the Harlem Globetrotters instead of Celta Vigo, Palermo, Eintracht Frankfurt, and Fenerbahce -- the way that some were talking.

Guest Geordie Gaz

I dont see Rafa as the sentimental type so Owen being 1 of Liverpools "favourite sons" wouldnt count for much in Rafa eyes. Rafa will only get a player he feels will fit into his squad and his system and not a player he'll need to change his system to accommodate.

Signed Robbie Fowler didn't he?