Roy Keane

marko1892

As much as i deteste the guy I cant ignore what he has done with the Sunderland side he has taken over and although extremely premature I'm getting the feeling that he could turn into be a top top manager though only time will tell with him. If Sunderland come up can he keep them in the premiership, can he make them top dogs in the north east is a question that I am thinking of quite a bit. Getting a good draw at Birmingham tonite aswell has made me wonder, Are Sunderland the best side in the championship? sounds funny I know but since Keane took over look at how the mackems have been doing? bloody fantastic, He has had the occasional loss but in general its only been one direction for Sunderland this season and thats continuing to rise.

So my question to you is do you think that Roy Keane will become a good manager? I suppose one thing i look at is that with Sunderland nothing was expected this season after the terrible start they had but now he has got them to a good position he has totally tranformed their season. Could he do the same at a club with high expectations from the off?

Cant say for sure. I dont know about him as a manager. But i could imagine that he's good at motivating the players getting them to work hard. Maybe he's got other skills as a manager also, but i dont know about that as i said before. But just motivating the players is not enough to be a "top" club manager imo..

Cant say for sure. I dont know about him as a manager. But i could imagine that he's good at motivating the players getting them to work hard. Maybe he's got other skills as a manager also, but i dont know about that as i said before. But just motivating the players is not enough to be a "top" club manager imo..

Thats his real driving force I believe his no nonsense attitude and his desire to win. Getting the best out of his players by motivation. Time will tell should Sunderland get promoted.

I think Roy Keane has the criteria to become a very good manager, even an excellent manager. But I am not sure how much pressure and compromise he can take.

Yes he has spent a quite a bit (by championship standards) on new players. Nonetheless the players he acquires are good players. In the transfer market he is as ruthless as he is resourceful. He has assembled a good team with good squad depth, young average age and good potential.

Tony Mowbray is another very good prospect. He hasn't done much on the transfer market but the one he did (Koren in for free Quashie out) is an excellent deal.

IF Derby, Sunderland and West Brom (my predictions) get promoted this season, I think there is a good chance all of them will stay in the premiership.

I also think Mowbray is an great prospect as is Billy Davies at Derby. The premiership is the league to prove yourself in though. Mick McCarthy found it hard to adapt. I still find the whole 'we had no money' argument is a little silly, A team who runs away with the championship should do much more than going down with the worst points return in premiership history.

If (big "IF) Keane is successful - meaning he gets the makems promoted and keeps them up for a season my predicition is that he would be off to manage the Irish National team or something like that. Keane is already a footballing great - as soon as there is a hint of managerial success about him he will be recruited very hard by bigger and better opportunities. He has no ties to Sunderland so he'll be off.

Guest eyeball_tickler

he's done brilliantly with them, considering its his first job and how shit they were just before he took over. he reminds me of souness though, very hard-headed and stubborn. lets hope its his downfall.

He's had a lot of money to work with though in that division. When you sign players like Connolly, Kavanagh, Varga, Miller, Edwards, Evans, John, Yorke & Stokes, it's only a matter of time before their ability began to go on a run of results. I know they're not world-beaters but for the Championship, they're more than good enough.

Keane has done well, and will, I think, keep them up if they get promoted - as for becoming NE top dogs, well, its not such a demanding task, is it !? We may not like Keane but he HAS determination, AND a better Chairman that Roeder...! Both qualities would be enough, given a season or so, to give them Top Dog status.

Should a takeover happen at SJP within a year or so, things would then be very different......

As for Mowbray - I'm a great fan of the guy. Would have been happy to see him replace Souness, has done a great job at Hibs, and looks like repeating it at WBA.

Met him once, impressed by his honesty, knowledge, and down-to-earth attitiude - will be astonished if he doesn't make a top manager.If I was taking over NUFC, he would definitely be on the list of potential managers.

You have to consider that at this moment in time SAFC haven't got a single player on there books that would compete in the Premiership. To survive next season (if promoted) an entire 1st team will need purchasing.

Having said that I'd swap Keane for Roeder no problem. (That's if Shearer would allow someone of equal star quality to steal his thunder)

I think he's got them playing some good football, and looks to have completely turned the situation round.

Yes, I think he'll be a top manager, and he's one we should be keeping tabs on for the future. He may have looked like a lunatic on the field, but there's a good brain operating there as well.

He has done great job there.He was mega ambitious as a player so i doubt that it will be any different as a manager.As a player he won everything at club lever so he just have to gain some experience as a manager

So far all the indications are pointing that he will be good manager

Hope the mackems go up so we can beat them twice O0

Has undoubtedly done a good job. He has however had a lot more resources than any of the others in the division and while they polish off the lower teams they struggle to beat any of the teams at the top of their league.

I see a problem for them if they do get promoted in that they have a wage bill far higher than any other team and a lot of the players are recent recruits on good contracts. These players will not be good enough for the top level so they will have to clear them out and pretty much start from scratch if they want to survive.

Other bad thing for Sundlund is that despite all the blarney spouted by Quinn and Co, deep down they know that with Keane it's a no win situation - if he fails - he fails - if he succeeds then he will be off to a big club (or the Irish FA).

It normally all ends in tears down there.

Very very very early days to be rating that nutter as a manager, an easat'ish run so far for him as manager, lets wait and see where he is in a few seasons time.

He has all the attributes to become another Souness.  :smiley6600:

Guest Darth Toon

They might have a couple of half decent seasons with keane in charge, but then, as always,  something will go spectacularly and hilariously wrong! Seriously, we think we're unlucky, but those buggers seems to get punished for their small successes in triplicate  :D

They had the "top dogs" finish under monkey's heed that was rapidly followed by becoming not only the worst team in premeirship history, but also the second worst  :laugh:

Then of course there was the excitement of being 1-0 up against us last season, only to be cruelly thrashed 4-1  :lol:

Even beating us in the play-offs came back to haunt them, as they sank straight back down while we were rewarded with the Keegan years  mackems.gif

Let them enjoy the "good" times, it only makes the inevitable fall that much more enjoyable.

Yes he has spent a quite a bit (by championship standards) on new players.

1m net

Can you tell me how do you come out with this figure? Just done a bit of research myself, they spent 2m on Stokes, 1.5m on Edwards, 250k on John, Evan + Simpson loan, 500k on Kavanagh, 1.4m on Connoly, Yorke 200k, Wallace + Varga 1.1m, Miller free. Total 6.95m.

Sunderland earn 400k from Alnwick-Fulop swap deal, Lawrence 500k, Brown 325k, Stead 750k. I can't recall them selling anyone else of note under Keane. So that is a net spending of 5m by Sunderland under Roy Keane, discounting Quinn's deals.

As for Mowbray - I'm a great fan of the guy. Would have been happy to see him replace Souness, has done a great job at Hibs, and looks like repeating it at WBA.

Met him once, impressed by his honesty, knowledge, and down-to-earth attitiude - will be astonished if he doesn't make a top manager.If I was taking over NUFC, he would definitely be on the list of potential managers.

I like Mowbray too. Him and Keane got their teams playing swashbuckling attacking football. Yet their teams are not overexposed at the back.

Has undoubtedly done a good job. He has however had a lot more resources than any of the others in the division and while they polish off the lower teams they struggle to beat any of the teams at the top of their league.

I see a problem for them if they do get promoted in that they have a wage bill far higher than any other team and a lot of the players are recent recruits on good contracts. These players will not be good enough for the top level so they will have to clear them out and pretty much start from scratch if they want to survive.

Other bad thing for Sundlund is that despite all the blarney spouted by Quinn and Co, deep down they know that with Keane it's a no win situation - if he fails - he fails - if he succeeds then he will be off to a big club (or the Irish FA).

It normally all ends in tears down there.

Stoke, Connolly, John, Elliot

Hysen, Kavanagh, Whitehead, Edwards

Evan, Simpson

Fulop

I think these players will prove themselve to be premiership (low table) quality. Wallace, Miller, Nosworthy, Varga, Collins are not too bad either.

Guest Knightrider

Keane is doing well but so did Peter Reid, Mick McCarthy, Micky Adams et al at that level, and they are shite managers. The acid test will be whether he can do a Bolton with sunderland, or a Newcastle under KK, they certainly have the potential to become a big club and make a big splash in the Premiership.