Fixing my PC - major problem!

Slugsy

Alright folks, had a total nightmare with my practically new PC (3 months old) and not sure what to do.

I was trying to connect from home to my work network, they have system called 'Vitual PC' where I download a bit of sofware from Microsoft (something to do with having a Server Pack 2 or similar to that name) and then put in a couple of passwords and I am into the 'virtual network' from home.

I tried this and then my computer froze!  I waited a while, nothing happened so being the IT illiterate that I am, I turned it off at the mains hoping that all would be well.

Alas not, now everytime I turn on the computer I get to theXP log in screen where I click on my username and then nowt happens after that, no icons appear, no tool bar and it just freezes.  I did have to allow a load of things past my firewall when downloading the software and I am now sh*tting myself that I have f8cked the PC up for good.

I was wondering if either:

1. Any of you smart IT guys knew what I could do myself or

2. What is the best way to get it fixed - i'm not sure if the warranty will cover it, if it does then am I better sticking it into the shop I got it from or getting a '3rd party' to look at it?

Any help would be appreciated.

This could be absolutely anything tbh.

Try logging on in safe mode; restart your machine, and keep tapping F8 as it loads. See if you can log in through there.

Can you try running the machine in safe mode see if it boots then. If it does (which I'm guessing it will) then it's probably a program running the backround. this will no doubt with something to do with this virtual PC. So you will then need to run msconfig (start | run | msconfig | ok) go to startup tab and untick anything relating to virtual PC and then trying rebooting and see if you can log in.

Can you try running the machine in safe mode see if it boots then. If it does (which I'm guessing it will) then it's probably a program running the backround. this will no doubt with something to do with this virtual PC. So you will then need to run msconfig (start | run | msconfig | ok) go to startup tab and untick anything relating to virtual PC and then trying rebooting and see if you can log in.

Thanks mate, will try tonight!