Plastering

Lowndsy

is anyone here a plasterer? or related/know one etc??

do they get paid well etc?

as some know i was considering bricklaying etc but was told by a few people to forget it as its a poor job (gd pay but heavy work and so on) and told to concentrate on plastering.. which im going to try.

any thing?

A good plasterer is worth his weight in gold.

Good profession as long as you get the right training with the right mentor as plasterers are always last on the job, and spend most of the day sitting in the pub and have a habit of turning up half cut or not turning up at all.

I've got an HND in building studies and that's it. Did an ONC before that, so technically i've been studying five years. They were willing to pay me up to a QS degree but i'd had enough and it doesn't really refer to what I do anyway.

Both the degree and you refer to traditional QSing, wheras I deal purely with financial control.

The pay is good.

Actually the pay can be fucking brilliant. Both me Dad and me brother were/are Quantity Surveyors, and my brother's been coining it in big style - he's been in Cost Management for one of the big companies for a few years and is now setting up his own development consultancy now. Jammy bitch.

As for plastering, Spennymag - there's always going to be a demand for that skillset - if you're good.

I'm surprised GM hasn't posted a picture of Loadsamoney yet....

Well, I'd hate to disappoint you so here goes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/650000/images/_654874_loadsamoney150.jpg

:D  "Look at the size of my wad!"     

Guest Knightrider

My mate is a plasterer, pulls in up to a grand a week. Any building trade is worthy and work will always be plentyful, plastering is probably the best trade though as its highly skilled and in high demand, the supply is low too. Check the job columns for plasterers... loads of them. Joinery is another good trade but these days, with everyone going for plastic windows etc. it isn't the trade it used to be, and anyone can hang a door and fit a few floor boards. My brother in law's brother is kind of like a general builder and earns good money, enough to get out a big mortgage and have a 25K wedding. Mind his exes mean he has to work like a dog none stop so fingers crossed for him work is plentyful for him otherwise he's in the shit.

Guest Knightrider

I wish I got a trade rather than going into office work, BORING!!

I done Joinery and qualified, boring let me tell you and not the type of work I'd choose to do, I only went because a few of my mates went, one is a roofer now, very good money, he's now self-employed, the other has had various jobs with the council but is now sadly unemployed (he didn't build on his trade to acquire new skills and today you need to be an all-round handyman). I agree though having a trade can be good for something to fall back on. Hard work though and not exactly a secure trade. If the housing market goes there will be a lot of out of work tradesmen, only the really good builders will do well. Luckily my mate gets big contracts from people who own mansions and big houses, people who can afford to have their house done up, a drive put in etc.

It's not too late.. 

I couldn't really afford to do an apprenticeship and can't be arsed to work and do night classes [/lazy]

Wish I had done it as soon as I left school and didn't know what a proper wage was!

Guest Knightrider

It's not too late.. 

I couldn't really afford to do an apprenticeship and can't be arsed to work and do night classes [/lazy]

Wish I had done it as soon as I left school and didn't know what a proper wage was!

Jon, you have to work years on low wages to get a good wage in the building trade or go self-employed and even then, unless you're getting good contracts from the off, you're not going to be able to pay yourself a good wage as start-up costs will eat into any monies earned.

Search for 'plumbing courses in the north east'

I'm sure any of the colleges do the courses aswell.. Although at my age, i'd have to pay to do it. I got advised for it at the jobcentre and they basically told me to ring around as many plumbers as i can now, and ask for them to take me on.. Many of them will do it, as they basically have to pay you fuck all.

I was thinking of doing one of the fast track courses which cost up to 5k.. but a 4 year college course (4 day work, 1 day college) sounds ideal to me.