Return of "The Zog" & Others

Rich

Zog back for derby battle

Feb 21 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United expect to have Charles N'Zogbia back in a black-and-white shirt by the time Middlesbrough come to St James' Park for the Tyne-Tees derby a week on Saturday.

And Shola Ameobi (below) is going so well in training after his hip operation that fears that the gangling striker would be out for the rest of the season may now not materialise.

This is just the boost Glenn Roeder wanted as he prepares to take United into the last 16 of the UEFA Cup against Zulte-Waregem at St James' Park tomorrow night.

But there was some more bad news on the injury front with United's ever-so-game defender Peter Ramage suffering a slight set-back with his hamstring injury.

And while Craig Moore and Shay Given are both back on the training field, Emre's calf injury is showing no sign of clearing up.

Roeder told me today: "The boys have been lively in training this week and I believe one of the reasons is that for the first time in a long while we have had plenty of senior players out there.

"Charles N'Zogbia picked up what we can only describe as a nasty knee injury against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge just before Christmas which has needed a lot of rehabilitation work on it.

"But Charles is now back with us and working with our rehab expert John Green, who is coming up again today from London.

"And while Sunday's game at Wigan Athletic will come too early for him, we hope to have him in contention for Middlesbrough a week on Saturday.

"Shola Ameobi won't be ready for then but, while we expected him to be out for the rest of the season, the goalposts have changed a bit.

"He has worked so hard and has made so much progress that it is now possible he could play in our last couple of games."

Neither United nor Michael Owen are putting any comeback date on their £17m man, but Roeder added: "He really is flying in training.

"Stephen Carr will be back in training next week, and while Peter Ramage has had a bit of a set-back with his hamstring injury, it will only cost him another seven to 10 days."

Summary:

¤ Charles N'Zogbia back for 'Boro clash, hopefully.

¤ Peter Ramage could be looking at the same game to return to the squad, he's suffered a minor set-back.

¤ Stephen Carr returns to training next week (hooray!)

¤ Shola Ameobi should play before the end of the season.

¤ Michael Owen is looking top-notch in training and is "flying".

¤ Craig Moore is back in training.

¤ Shay Given is back at the weekend.

¤ Emre's "injury" is showing "no sign of healing" apparently... what a surprise.

¤ No mention of Tim Krul, like.

¤ Parker might play tomorrow, but if he doesn't then he will definitely start at Wigan.

Disappointed about the farcical Emre situation and that Krul must still be struggling, not to mention that Carr isn't far from making his 34th return from injury since joining... but all-in-all I'd say that's the most positive piece of club propaganda that we've had for ages.

Great news about Zogg although i doubt Roeder will play him over Duff instantly

Looks like the only 2 players that are not going to be 100% fit at the end of the season are Owen and Ameobi

I hope that Ramage,Carr and Moore wont play for us until the end of the season

Oh for f***'s sake. Getting sick of this Emre situation.

question is how long is it acceptable for this guy to be effectively on leave of absence for?

there is no doubt in my mind that its the race charges that have created a psychological problem for him to return and this "calf" injury is merely a cover up, a cover up for maybe something that he actually did do wrong

we may well have seen Emre play his last game in Black and White due to this up and coming race charge i feel

'United's ever-so-game defender Peter Ramage'

Just me who cringed at that?

Not much wrong with it to be honest, I gather from that they're suggesting he puts his all into his playing. Doesn't mean he's any good though like. Obviously.

Guest Sniffer

n'zogbia has been shite most of this season. Unless he get's his finger out, I couldn't care less if he comes back as he added nothing to the team.

Still has to show me that he isn't more than a one season wonder.

n'zogbia has been shite most of this season. Unless he get's his finger out, I couldn't care less if he comes back as he added nothing to the team.

Total bollocks.

Total bollocks.

He was pretty poor leading up to the Chelsea game, to be fair. Don't agree with Sniffer's stance overall though, Zoggy is a valuable member of the squad and hopefully he'll stay with us for a long time yet and help us achieve something.

n'zogbia has been s**** most of this season. Unless he get's his finger out, I couldn't care less if he comes back as he added nothing to the team.

he lost his dad and his two best friends(boumsong and faye) in the squad left. and he's, what, 19? give him a break. certainly deserves one after last season.

n'zogbia has been s**** most of this season. Unless he get's his finger out, I couldn't care less if he comes back as he added nothing to the team.

he lost his dad and his two best friends(boumsong and faye) in the squad left. and he's, what, 19? give him a break. certainly deserves one after last season.

He's 20.

Total bollocks.

He was pretty poor leading up to the Chelsea game, to be fair. Don't agree with Sniffer's stance overall though, Zoggy is a valuable member of the squad and hopefully he'll stay with us for a long time yet and help us achieve something.

Yes he hasn't been great, but he has very strong extenuating factors. Him being dropped from the first team to accomodate the new signing being the main issue. But when he did get a run in the side he he got gradually better every game. Leading up to some good displays just before he got injured.

He was playing shit in a team that was overall playing pretty fucking awful.  Wow, lets never allow him to wear a black n white shirt ever again.