Wimbledon to pay equal prize money

Guest BooBoo

I see that Wimbledon tennis club will now be paying equal prize money for women as men. Dont the women though play best of 3 sets whilst men play best of 5??

Whats next, people who work half days getting bigger wages than us 9-5ers?!?

I can see both sides of the argument tbh.

They don't play as much, but probably attract the same number of spectators to watch the finals.

They're not given the option to play as much though, always remember what's her face, Navaratalova (total guess at spelling that thing), said she'd have happily played 5 sets if it meant getting equal pay.

they should be judged completely seperately by how much money or support each one brings in. I haven't a clue if thats equal, or more for women, or more for men. But they shouldnt be equalised because of their sex.

they should be judged completely seperately by how much money or support each one brings in. I haven't a clue if thats equal, or more for women, or more for men. But they shouldnt be equalised because of their sex.

Agree with that, in all fairness.  I mean, what next, equal pay for female footballers just because they're female...?  Aye, right, didn't think so.

However, cause they don't offer women the 5 set chance, something needed to be done.  To be honest, they've shot themselves in the foot, as they've given in, whereas they could easily have been paying woman for 5 sets (equal to men) if they'd just taken them up on their offer years ago to play the same amount as the men.

Recently, the women's game has been far far more entertaining, as there is no one dominant force, more a mixture of 5.

Mens isn't as good when you see Federer picking up everything, and even when he doesn't, it's only Nadal at the French. It's obviously good to watch someone so good, but at the same time, it's a bit like Chelsea/Man United challenging for the title, everyone else is seemingly way out of touch.

Recently, the women's game has been far far more entertaining, as there is no one dominant force, more a mixture of 5.

Mens isn't as good when you see Federer picking up everything, and even when he doesn't, it's only Nadal at the French. It's obviously good to watch someone so good, but at the same time, it's a bit like Chelsea/Man United challenging for the title, everyone else is seemingly way out of touch.

if its more popular (i.e. more draw, not ness better games), then they should be paid more.

At the end of the day though, the draw of a tie is alot more important than how good a game is. Its a bit weird with tennis mind you, as people pay to get in rather than see a specific game.

It's an easy decision to make, if males want to play in the female game, then they should expect the same as their counterparts in the male game.

Case in point

http://www.bteshop.com/stars/dunlop/mauresmo_002.jpg

He has a bulge. Ask Ms. Hingis.

The mens final attracts higher TV viewing figures, and is the showcase event. Women are noticably worse. In my opinion they don't deserve the same pay. However, if the womens game were to be the more popular, and attract more viewers, I'd be saying the opposite. It's just common sense for me.