Statue of Margaret Thatcher Unveiled

Nobby

Statue of Margaret Thatcher Unveiled

Thursday February 22, 2007

Despite protests that previous prime ministers had to be dead to rate a statue in Britain's Houses of Parliament, Margaret Thatcher unveiled her silicon bronze likeness at a ceremony Wednesday.

The statue, standing 7 feet 4 inches, faces another of former Prime Minister Winston Churchill in the member's lobby of the Palace of Westminster, the ornate parliamentary building on the bank of the River Thames.

``I might have preferred iron, but bronze will do. It won't rust. And, this time I hope, the head will stay on,'' Thatcher said

The 81-year-old baroness was referring to a marble statue of her that was decapitated in 2002 by a vandal while on loan to Guildhall, the town hall for the City of London, the capital's financial district.

Thatcher appeared to be cheerful and relaxed, wearing a gold-and-champagne-colored suit that she had worn in 2001 for her 50th wedding anniversary to the late Sir Denis Thatcher.

The statue, by sculptor Antony Dufort, shows her in a typical lively and swashbuckling posture, right arm outstretched, as though she is addressing the House of Commons.

She said she was thrilled with it.

Thatcher was the first female British prime minister, serving from 1979 until she resigned during a revolt by her own Conservative Party in 1990.

hopefully someone will find a way to do this...

Thatcher statue decapitated

Michael White, political editor

Thursday July 4, 2002

The Guardian

Lady Thatcher's larger-than-life status as Britain's most loved and hated prime minister since Sir Winston Churchill was confirmed yesterday when a man decapitated the marble statue of the former Conservative leader on display at the Guildhall Art Gallery in the City of London.

The head on the two-ton statue, which is an imposing eight feet high, was knocked off after the assailant deployed a metal rope support stanchion, according to the Corporation of London. A man was arrested. The damaged work, sculpted by Neil Simmons and unveiled by Lady Thatcher in May, was removed from display.

It was due to be installed in the Commons after the next election. The chairman of the Commons advisory art committee, leftwing MP, Tony Banks, said that although the statue ranked "among our most controversial commissions, acts of vandalism against works of art can never be tolerated in a civilised society". Lady Thatcher said nothing.

I wasn't really "aware" during that decade so I won't pretend to be, but only in Britain could someone so hated, be so politically successful.

Only Britain? Don't be daft.

I wasn't really "aware" during that decade so I won't pretend to be, but only in Britain could someone so hated, be so politically successful.

In a democracy?  Aye.

Even with that caveat, no.

In a democracy?  Aye.

Not even a little bit?

SHOULD YOU NOT BE DEAD?

By Bob Roberts

Deputy Political Editor 22/02/2007

BARONESS Thatcher unveiled a lifesize statue of herself in the Commons last night as MPs asked: "Shouldn't she be dead?"

The 81-year-old ex-Premier broke with centuries of tradition by having the £80,000 monument erected to her while she is still alive.

Martin Salter, Labour MP for Reading West, said: "I thought these plinths were reserved for Prime Ministers who are dead and buried."

He added: "I'm appalled at the prospect of having to walk past her malevolent gaze every day."

Others were equally unimpressed as the Iron Lady turned bronze alongside Lloyd George, Attlee and Churchill.

Labour MP Stephen Hepburn stormed: "It's an insult to the millions who went through pain and suffering under Thatcher's rule."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full%26objectid=18657165%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

In a democracy?  Aye.

Not even a little bit?

I don't understand that question. I was thinking of Abraham Lincoln in the US of A btw. I'm sure there are other examples though and I doubt Britain is unique in being able to have someone that successful whilst attracting so much hate.

SHOULD YOU NOT BE DEAD?

By Bob Roberts

Deputy Political Editor 22/02/2007

BARONESS Thatcher unveiled a lifesize statue of herself in the Commons last night as MPs asked: "Shouldn't she be dead?"

The 81-year-old ex-Premier broke with centuries of tradition by having the £80,000 monument erected to her while she is still alive.

Martin Salter, Labour MP for Reading West, said: "I thought these plinths were reserved for Prime Ministers who are dead and buried."

He added: "I'm appalled at the prospect of having to walk past her malevolent gaze every day."

Others were equally unimpressed as the Iron Lady turned bronze alongside Lloyd George, Attlee and Churchill.

Labour MP Stephen Hepburn stormed: "It's an insult to the millions who went through pain and suffering under Thatcher's rule."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_method=full%26objectid=18657165%26siteid=89520-name_page.html

The headline :lol:

Guest Gemmill

Heard bits of her speech on the radio this morning, the spiteful old bitch.

"I'd have preferred iron rather than bronze!"

*cue guffaws of uproarious laughter from the chinless wonders in attendance*

"Hopefully this one will keep its head."

*more laughter as if she'd discovered the secret of great comedy*

You offering to pen her lines?

Guest Gemmill

Eh?

Eh?

You don't think she's very funny, you're the resident funnyman, here. I imagine it would be mutually beneficial. Her last years would be her most popular.