Newcastle United 1 - 0 Zulte-Waragem - Post match thoughts

Dave

Well that was dull in the extreme. Nothing to add really, so I'll just repeat what everyone else has said: Titus was good again, Martins was poor - despite the goal which was well taken - Luque looked his usual half-arsed self, there's really not much point in playing him now, he's lost all interest. That's about it other than to ask who was captain after Butt went off, I thought it would be Nobby, but didn't see if he had the armband, anyone notice?

By the way... what in God's name possesses Roeder to put Pattison in the squad? He appears to have absolutely no ability whatseoever.

Was as good as Nicky Butt tonight. Just sat back and protected the defence and kept it simple.

Absolute bollocks. Butt was one of our best players before he went off, infact our only good one after Bramble. But actually knew how to pass it forward and played 3 or 4 absolute peahes out to the wings. As weird as it sounds, Butt was actually one of our more attacking palyers before he was withdrawn. He actually wanted the ball to go forward.

Pattison, on the other hand, could pass the ball no more than a meter, and always backwards - and he was slow and his attempt at that tackle was diabolical.

To say he was on par with Butt is madness.

Harper - Nothing to do

Duff - The Stephen Carr of midfield - instead of hacking [to compensate for zero mobility] he dives and tugs at opposition shirt - he has aged so very quickly.

Taylor - Made things hard for himself, but rose to his own challenges. Poor on set plays though.

Bramble - Did everything but score(!) Outstanding again.

Solano - Wish he could have played further up the pitch - the team misses his vision. Did well from where he was, mind you.

Milner - Very one-dimensional at times. Has much to learn - much can be learnt from Nobby. Had virtually no guile, but wasn't a liability or anything.

Luque - Showed a few decent touches here and there, glimpses of tact... but nothing near substantial.

Dyer - Drifted in and out of the game.

Butt - Solid enough, if not somewhat profligate with his passing.

Baba - Good half, especially considering Duff was in front of him.

Martins - Much better second half using the flanks, made us less predictable. Cool finish.

Hunt - Decent.

Pattison - Didn't do too bad.

Carroll - Fairly anonymous!

This is the kind of performance from Bramble that makes a Bramble Vs Ramage debate so easy to choose. Showed pretty much all the attributes he has that Ramage doesn't.

We saw Good Titus tonight, but I'd rather have Ramage in the team against a half-decent side, because the likelihood is that Bad Bramble will turn up.

Cheers lads. I'd have thought Nobby would have been next in line, rather than Harper who doesn't exactly come across as captain material, also wasn't it Nobby's 300th game? If we're going to have to go as low down the pecking order as Harper, we should have gone with Nobby just for sentimental reasons.

Still think you are being harsh on Pattison YG, he was basically put on to do Butts job (ie break up play and keep possesion) Dyer is the one of the partnership who is supposed to bring the ball forward and attack. Pattison did slip when that player was through but I thought he had a "decent" game and certainly wouldn't be a player who I would say let us down tonight.

This is the kind of performance from Bramble that makes a Bramble Vs Ramage debate so easy to choose. Showed pretty much all the attributes he has that Ramage doesn't.

We saw Good Titus tonight, but I'd rather have Ramage in the team against a half-decent side, because the likelihood is that Bad Bramble will turn up.

Ramage is pretty much always bad for me, at least Bramble can put in very good performances and has the attributes to make up for his fuck ups which Ramage doesn't.

What formation were we playing during the middle third of this game?

1 - 10

Well, that's utter stroganoff because I barely saw Bramble, Taylor or Babayaro up their end of the pitch for most of it.

Seriously? Did we have Luque on the left, Milner in the middle, Duff on the right and Dyer up front? Was that supposed to be what was happening?

Why does Babayaro seem a) afraid of sprinting and b) afraid of getting beyond Duff and into a useful position?

Observation: first time I've seen us play the "killer pass" this season (between fullback and centre-half) and we score a goal from it. Magic. Martins and Dyer need to make a lot more runs like this, and so do the wingers, because from all the football I watch it seems like the pass that equates to the most goals and is the hardest to defend against - Arsenal play it for fun.

Still think you are being harsh on Pattison YG, he was basically put on to do Butts job (ie break up play and keep possesion) Dyer is the one of the partnership who is supposed to bring the ball forward and attack. Pattison did slip when that player was through but I thought he had a "decent" game and certainly wouldn't be a player who I would say let us down tonight.

No, he didn't let us down tonight, but i don't think he was great.

HOWEVER, going back to my original comment. It was a comment in general - he doesn't seem to have the required ability to make it for us, or any other Premiership team. No pace, no power, no shooting ability, can't head, can't pick out a pass, and as we've found out tonight... can't tackle. All of this having seen him a few times this season.

I don't understand why he's making it into the squad.

Guest Bramble OG

Cheers lads. I'd have thought Nobby would have been next in line, rather than Harper who doesn't exactly come across as captain material, also wasn't it Nobby's 300th game? If we're going to have to go as low down the pecking order as Harper, we should have gone with Nobby just for sentimental reasons.

Iam sure i seen Butt passed the armband onto Solano!:?

Ramage is pretty much always bad for me, at least Bramble can put in very good performances and has the attributes to make up for his fuck ups which Ramage doesn't.

|

|

Signature \/