Newcastle United 1 - 0 Zulte-Waragem - Post match thoughts

Dave

Cheers lads. I'd have thought Nobby would have been next in line, rather than Harper who doesn't exactly come across as captain material, also wasn't it Nobby's 300th game? If we're going to have to go as low down the pecking order as Harper, we should have gone with Nobby just for sentimental reasons.

Iam sure i seen Butt passed the armband onto Solano!:?

Aye and Nobby passed it on to Harper i believe. Might have been Taylor, not sure, but he definitely passed it 'back'.

Harper - n/a

Solano 5 - Too many careless passes.

Taylor 6

Bramble 7 - MoM, i just hope Roeder doesn't do something stupid like give him a new contract on the back of recent performances.

Babayaro 6

Milner 7 - Involved in everything, shame there was nobody to get on the end of his crosses.

Dyer 6

Butt 6 - Good distribution again.

Duff 6 - Slight improvement on last week, looking forward to seeing him in a big European game now.

Martins 6 - Anonymous barring a very well taken goal.

Luque 6 - No worse than several others, showed some nice touches as always.

Pattison 1 -  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carroll - n/a

I guess that's it for Luque, let's just hope we finds a club to pay at least some of his wages in the Summer.

Guest TheOrder

Still think you are being harsh on Pattison YG, he was basically put on to do Butts job (ie break up play and keep possesion) Dyer is the one of the partnership who is supposed to bring the ball forward and attack. Pattison did slip when that player was through but I thought he had a "decent" game and certainly wouldn't be a player who I would say let us down tonight.

No, he didn't let us down tonight, but i don't think he was great.

HOWEVER, going back to my original comment. It was a comment in general - he doesn't seem to have the required ability to make it for us, or any other Premiership team. No pace, no power, no shooting ability, can't head, can't pick out a pass, and as we've found out tonight... can't tackle. All of this having seen him a few times this season.

I don't understa

nd why he's making it into the squad.

He has got shooting ability to be honest. Seen him fuck a few belters in for both the academy and the reserves. Ask Mr Mosley. He's not useless, just not a Newcastle United player.

On the basis of this season i said. ;)

As for the bandwagon. I see one person jumping on his back, and i wasn't even doing it on tonight's performance especially. I see absolutely nothing, over the entire season, that encourages me into thinking that he'll be a decent player for us. He doesn't appear to have the, or any required, ability.

Now who's stoopid. ;)

Pattison works hard,but is really really bad and shouldnt make our first team line-up tbh,working hard alone won't work if you don't have the talent or the skills,still i think he was only used so that Roeder can Keep Luque on the bench for the transfer window,with that gone i see no reason what so ever to even think about giving him more games..

Guest Geordie_Paul

Thought we were quite pathetic in first half, but as we challenged more in the second and they tired we came into the game more. I know they had a few chances but as they're part-timers they grew tired quicker. I thought Duff came into the game more in the second half by actually getting by a couple of defenders then that killer through ball to Martins was well played. Showed more of how he can play in the latter stages.

Obviously i think we should have done better but on the night all that matters is the win and the fact we're through to the next round. Was a little disappointed to see Luque run straight down the tunnel, i mean although he's not happy at the club we still pay his wages at the minute so should show a little respect!

Although largely quiet during the game i thought Martins goal was well took and was a great finish and he seemed to perk up a bit after then... liked it when he took 2 or 3 players on before being hacked as he would have been through on goal and would have been a wicked run tbh!

It was a s**** game with a s**** atmosphere, and saying there was 30,000 fas there it was a shock it was so dam quiet. Not much to make noise about I know.

Duff I thought was shocking, 1st half every time he got the ball he ran back up the line towards Baba, he did brighten up with 20 mins to go or so but no where near good enough from Duff.

Milner, Dyer and Bramble tonight were our best players.

I was hoping for a thrashing a real thrill show of talent, who was I fkn kidding eh.

Fuck me, he had about 20 mins on the pitch, played it around nicely whenever he got it and only made one mistake where he mistimed a challenge. He's nothing special and never will be but he did no worse than anyone else tonight.

Just fucking nit picking.

Fuck me, he had about 20 mins on the pitch, played it around nicely whenever he got it and only made one mistake where he mistimed a challenge. He's nothing special and never will be but he did no worse than anyone else tonight.

Just fucking nit picking.

If you're talking to me here, then i again must go back to my original comment. I never actually said he did abysmally bad tonight, i said later that he didn't do great and was uncompareable to Butt, however - my initial statement was a general overview of Pattison.

I haven't watched any reserve matches whatsoever, which is why i won't comment (in-depth atleast) on any regular reserve players. Pattison however, has established himself as a regular squad player and has made lots of appearances, including 3 (?) starts. And i honestly cannot see what makes anyone think that he is good enough.

I don't suppose many do think so, but it's a point worth making.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Can someone tell be what Dyer actually does?

Shite game, shite performance, shite atmosphere. Great finish by Martins.

Obafemi Martins scored the only goal of the game in the 68th minute, as Glenn Roeder's team sealed a 4-1 aggregate success over Belgian side Zulte Waregem at St James' Park.

Goalkeeper Harper said: "When a team come up and set themselves up like that, it's a big compliment.

"They had 11 men behind the ball and made it hard - we couldn't find a way through in the first half.

"We did the job away from home and tonight was a no-win situation - but a great finish from Obafemi won it for us."

The Magpies will tackle AZ Alkmaar for a place in the quarter-finals and Easington-born Harper added on Five: "It will be very tough.

"They have performed well in the last couple of years - but we are confident we can progress."

Just looking at it again, it really was expertly finished by Oba.

That's what he does you see. It's just what he does. He can have a throughly shite game, yet come out with the winning goal. He's a matchwinner - and we've really missed that. If you discount Owen's 'spell' in the side, we haven't had an out and out matchwinner since Shearer, pre-2005ish.

Guest TheOrder

f*** me, he had about 20 mins on the pitch, played it around nicely whenever he got it and only made one mistake where he mistimed a challenge. He's nothing special and never will be but he did no worse than anyone else tonight.

Just f****** nit picking.

If you're talking to me here, then i again must go back to my original comment. I never actually said he did abysmally bad tonight, i said later that he didn't do great and was uncompareable to Butt, however - my initial statement was a general overview of Pattison.

I haven't watched any reserve matches whatsoever, which is why i won't comment (in-depth atleast) on any regular reserve players. Pattison however, has established himself as a regular squad player and has made lots of appearances, including 3 (?) starts. And i honestly cannot see what makes anyone think that he is good enough.

I don't suppose many do think so, but it's a point worth making.

To be honest, he look capable in the games he played last year. He's just having a shit year. He's not a Newcastle United standard player, so theres not much point going over how shit he is over and over again, repeating yourself like a broken record. That doesn't do anything, and it certainly doesn't add anything new into an argument or debate. Some players can't play infront of 52000 geordies screaming downt there neck, and blossom into OK players elsewhere. Probably the case with Pattison, O'Brien etc. So be it.

- Typical shit game against shit European opposition.

- If they'd had a striker with any form of pace we wouldn't have won tonight

- Steven Taylor was poor i thought

- There was no atmosphere

- That is the last time Luque will play for us

- We badly missed Emre tonight

- Games like this we should win at a canter to instill confidence for league games.

- The atmosphere was gash

- I couldnt hear the Toon Ultras in the corner and I sit halfway along the East.

- I had some mackems sitting behind me which pissed me off no end.