I don't understand.....

madras

the thread where you can vent your spleen at what you don't understand about today's football.

how goalkeepers who win you 20points per season aren't as feted as forwards who win you 20points per season.

why a forward who misses a sitter never gets slagged off as much as a defender who's slip costs a goal.

why the 30yd blast into the top corner is seen as better than the 20 touch move where the forward converts a simple chance.

the thread where you can vent your spleen at what you don't understand about today's football.

how goalkeepers who win you 20points per season aren't as feted as forwards who win you 20points per season.

Everyone on here recognises Given as one of, if not the most important player(s) we have.

why a forward who misses a sitter never gets slagged off as much as a defender who's slip costs a goal.

Forward misses chance, still drawing game. Defender loses goal, not drawing game.

why the 30yd blast into the top corner is seen as better than the 20 touch move where the forward converts a simple chance.

Matter of opinion. Most can appreciate any goal tbh, but different people see things differently.

What offside actually means, just to get it over with.

Offside is where there is less than two defenders (including goalkeeper) between the goal line and the attacker when the ball is passed through. This does not count though if the attacker is level or behind the ball itself when the pass is made, or if the attacker is in his own half of the pitch.

Oh, and I don't believe you didn't know, so yes - I bit.

Football fans today are mostly fake fans..the thing i like about Newcastle Fans is that most of them are genuine fans

these days people would tag a monkey who dribbles past players but never scores or assists as the worlds best player,while players who have 0 skills but are fantastic at doing basic goal scoring and assisting get nothing,alot has change about football these days mate,but still their are many people who understand that football in not all about fancy stuff,but its usually the simple basics that win you games and cups..

Everyone on here recognises Given as one of, if not the most important player(s) we have.

Forward misses chance, still drawing game. Defender loses goal, not drawing game.

Matter of opinion. Most can appreciate any goal tbh, but different people see things differently.

1)but given wouldn't fetch martins transfer fee and will be on nowhere near the wages.

2)drawing game,forward misses chance,should be winning

3) motd of old always had a fair share of team goals and spectacular solos for gotm/y...no more

Scoring goals is widely recognised as the hardest thing to do in the game (rightly or wrongly), hence strikers cost more, earn more and get away with missing chances.

MOTD is s***.

thats probably what beats me,i see it as whatever to win games,keeping them out and scoring are equal to me.

motd is shit but the ethos is there,all footy progs when having goal of the month etc hada a fair spread of styles...since sky it's changed.ask a 10yr old nowabout last weeks goals he will pick out the spectacular,wasn't always thus.

1)but given wouldn't fetch martins transfer fee and will be on nowhere near the wages.

3) motd of old always had a fair share of team goals and spectacular solos for gotm/y...no more

Given would fetch £10m, what we paid for Martins, and i've got a funny feeling wor Shay is on more money than Martins.

Manu spend nearly £30m on replacing the Great Dane, probably more now, and Buffon himself went for something like that in one move.

Keepers are rated highly, some like Paul Robinson too highly. ;)

Well I disagree, they often put in a Man Utd or Arsenal flowing move or something. Most of the time it's at the expense of a better goal though. :razz:

i challange you to find a 6yd tap in in goal of the month in the past 2 yrs.?

i'm off to bed now so i'll take it if you haven't got one here tomorrow that you were wrong,not just that you couldn't be arsed,anyway i'm gonna press post now,that means i've got the last word and apparently that wins on here,then logging off and running upstairs to kip with my fingers in my ears singing that carpenters song that goes" la lala lala, lala lala lala,lalalalalala"

1) The standard of keeping is pretty high. Given is class, but to other clubs hes not worth 10-15mill more than Van der Sar, or Lehman, or Cudiccini, or Jaaskelainen, or Friedel, etc. Most top clubs wont pay big money, whether transfer fee or wages, for a keeper who is slightly, or only considerably, better than what they can get for cheap, whereas title winning forwards with huge amounts of ability are extremely hard to come by, and hence they can command significantly higher wages/fees.

2) Because forward play is more than just scoring goals. Forwards who regularly miss sitters and have limited ability or simply arent very good do in fact get slagged off, they become a laughing stock and get shipped out to Championship sides, like Ade Akinbiyi. Other forwards, who regularly miss good chances (but not sitters), like Bellamy, bring alot to the team's attacking play, so naturally they dont get slagged off. Defenders like Bramble, who consistenly make mistakes get slagged off because its alot easier to concede a cheap goal than it is to score one, especially when the majority of other sides dont have defenders like Bramble, they have average but consistent ones.

3) There arent many good team goals in the Premiership these days. Only Arsenal and to a lesser extent ManU tend to score them, but even then theyre not very common at all as their good team moves regularly break down. The Argentina goal in the world cup proves that a great team move is more highly valued than a spectacular shot.

There isn't much that differentiates top keepers with slightly less to keepers. Also, every team needs only 1 keeper in a starting line-up. Given is an excellent keeper, but many other teams have good keeper respectively. Newcastle United won't sell Given unless silly money is presented, and other clubs won't spend silly money to get Given while they already have decent reliable keepers. Buffon is an exception, he fetches 30m transfer fee. The money saved is better spent somewhere where an few extra millions could mean a class apart (Pennant-Alves, Bellamy-Martins)

To me, missing a sitter is as bad as costing a goal. However, trying to score an easy goal (eg 1 on 1) is always harder more difficult than conceding an easy goal (eg Boumsong/Bramble style error)

A goal is a goal for me, regardless how it is scored. To me however 30yd blast (Matt Taylor against Tim Howard) is more likely to be a fluke than a 20 touch move (Argentina against S&M) resulting a goal.