Charlton Vs Westham

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Or the big game of the weekend.

Sod the Carling Cup, neither team are that arsed about winning it anyway, the real drama will no doubt be at this must win battle at the bottom of the league for Premiership survival between the two London clubs with massive recent history between them.

Quick recap for those who don't know, forgot, or are overseas fans wondering WTF is going on.

Curbs left in the summer after a lifetime in charge of Charlton, he was replaced with Ian Dowie, who spent a fortune on utter shite.

West Ham, recently promoted last year and a club well respected for bringing through some of England's hottest talents were supposed to push on from last seasons great form. That didn't happen, a dodgy deal including two Argentian superstars was questionable and disruptive, and takeover talk overshadowed the managers position, and he blamed such talk on disrupting the team.

The new owner didn't like that blame lying at his door, and Pardew was on borrowed time. Results were below standard, he was sacked.

While this was going on Charlton were playing even worse than West Ham, Dowie was sacked after 12 games, and replaced with Les Reed, who was even worse, both teams were struggling at the bottom of the EPL.

Shortly after this time Pardew became Charlton manager, and Curbishley West Ham manager, the difference, between the two Alan's? The one at West Ham had money to spend in the window, and he did.

Buying some proven EPL players for decent transfer fee's but the sting was hidden in the wages, Boa Morte, Upson and most notably Lucas Neill are all on wages that could sink a normal club if they get relegated due to their talents not matching their earnings and nobody wanting to pay them afterwards. They have taken a gamble, and they really need these players to perform and pay off. Neill & Upson both picked up injuries in their debuts, well when your at the bottom, luck is something you do not get.

Curbs has recently said the pressure is on him, and he must gets results, but with the EPL clock ticking away, there might not be enough games left to get it right, which is why a kick start against his old club is imperative.

But bitter Pardew stands in their way, and he wont be taking this one lying down.

Expect a heated, confrontational, dogged scrap of a game. High drama, fast paced ruckus, and a result as important as any trophy up for grabs this weekend.

So i ask the question in the poll: Who do you want to win?

The answer for me is easy, Charlton. We humans like to see a big fall, West Ham with their new financial backer are just too much of a bonus for me to see them go down.

But, the result itself could be immaterial as the FA are looking into West Ham's two Argentinian players, as its been reported they were ineligible to play, and if so, WHU could be docked up to 10pts which would certainly seal their fate.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=450208

Charlton and West Ham are heading towards the last-chance saloon and the two struggling sides lock horns at The Valley on Saturday.

It is sure to be a strange feeling for the two managers, as West Ham chief Alan Curbishley made his name at Charlton, while Addicks boss Alan Pardew was in charge of The Hammers earlier this season.

Only goal difference separates the pair, but they are both six points adrift of the safety zone and a win will be seen as imperative.

Past form is likely to go out of the window in such circumstances, but The Addicks do hold a psychological advantage as West Ham have managed only one league victory at The Valley in 15 visits.

Pardew has been handed a boost on the defensive front, as Luke Young is set to shake off injury to feature and Talal El Karkouri is available again after his one-game ban.

El Karkouri's return could offset the loss of Madjid Bougherra who is a serious doubt after picking up an injury against Manchester United.

Charlton are set to be without their creative force once again as Andy Reid is still struggling with injury, but Jerome Thomas is in contention following a hamstring complaint.

Pardew seems set to throw Darren Bent into the heat of battle, despite there being doubts over his well-being, and he could well partner his namesake Marcus in attack.

The Hammers were big players in the January transfer window, but two of their recruits are in the treatment room and Lucas Neill and Matthew Upson are not expected to figure.

James Collins and Lee Bowyer are both back in full training and could be involved at the weekend, but Danny Gabbidon and Dean Ashton remain sidelined and Nigel Reo-Coker is suspended.

Skysports.com Prediction: 1-1

A tight but intriguing contest to end all square.

Player to watch: Darren Bent

I have a soft spot for Charlton so them. Out of interest why do you hate Charlton ON?

Over-rated by the press. I hate all this "what a great job Curbs has done" etc. You never saw Blackburn & Boro get that much praise despite being similar sized clubs. Fact is, he was there 6 years and they were no better in 2006 when he left, than in 2000 when he got them back up.

Dont like Charlton much.

Hate the dirty filthy common cockney bastard irons. Plus it'd be alot funnier if they went down this season, i distinctly remember transfer deadline day in august... quotes from the amazing fans about how they're going for the champions league positions with their new super Argentinians :-)

I prefer West Ham, wouldnt say i had a soft spot for them but i prefer them over Charlton. Think its the fact one of my house mates is a hammer and we look out for each others results.

Which is fair enough, your HM must be sick as fuk right now though.

;D

I prefer West Ham, wouldnt say i had a soft spot for them but i prefer them over Charlton. Think its the fact one of my house mates is a hammer and we look out for each others results.

Surely you hope they get beat every week then?