Pardew on Bent

Cajun

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=450195&CPID=8&clid=33&lid=3&title=Pardew:+Bent+price+set+by+Sheva&channel=&

Alan Pardew has warned interested clubs they will have to pay the going rate if they want to sign Darren Bent this summer.

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley was strongly linked with a move for his former player during the January transfer window, but The Addicks were able to rebuff The Hammers' overtures.

The two clubs meet on Saturday in a pivotal clash at the bottom of the Premiership with prolific striker Bent aiming to fire The Addicks to victory.

Pardew admits Bent is his team's chief asset and as such will not be sold for less than his market value - a value he believes has been inflated by Chelsea's £30million signing of Andrei Shevchenko last summer.

"It's nothing to do with Darren. If he is sold it will be determined by market forces," said Pardew.

"The market forces are determined by the price Shevchenko has gone for, and the new contracts that players like Didier Drogba have signed.

"There is big money in the game and big figures are going to get accepted.

"We have a prize asset and the prize asset in terms of Darren is a striker with a guarantee of Premiership goals, and a team player."

Bent claims he has been unaffected by the speculation concerning his future.

"The speculation about West Ham trying to buy me does not bother me. It started as soon as Alan Curbishley took over there. Straight away people started telling me he was coming back to get me.

"I never let it bother me then and I don't let it bother me now. I'm 100 per cent focused as a Charlton player.

"I was injured anyway but I always knew that when I came back I wanted to keep Charlton in the Premiership."

Bit of a silly way to look at it IMO, on one hand you have Shevchenko, on the other you have Johnson, Martins, Bellamy, McCarthy, Berbatov etc... Who all cost less than what Charlton seem to be asking for Bent.

True Jon, Pardew is talking nonsense here - and at the end of the day he will have very little say over the price Bent is sold for, especially if they go down.

Mental that only high transfers determine market forces, and not the many lower-priced ones you mention. If you can get Martins for 10m then I suppose that means Bent is only worth about 6?

Guest kingdawson

True Jon, Pardew is talking nonsense here - and at the end of the day he will have very little say over the price Bent is sold for, especially if they go down.

Mental that only high transfers determine market forces, and not the many lower-priced ones you mention. If you can get Martins for 10m then I suppose that means Bent is only worth about 6?

triple that because of the fact that he's English :rolleyes:

If they go down I doubt they will get more than 10 million for him.

Considering Johnson went for 8 and is probably considered a more premium player than Bent. The 16/17 mill talked about for bent is daft! 10 million is too much but I can see Charlton being able to hold out for 10 unless he makes a big fuss about leaving!