Not another Martins thread...

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

For someone who hasn't quite convinced performances wise for us (in the main), his 14 goal tally and his goal threat is very impressive and I can't hold back any longer, I think we have ourselves an absolute diamond of a player on our hands with the potential to be a world-class player, or a world star. He had a stinking game last night, yet scored a delightful goal and carried a goal threat throughout and that has been the case a few times since signing, playing bad but being extremely productive. Just wait until those improvements come, and they will, he will literally be unstoppable. I see so much in his game to be very happy about, he's gonna be a player in a few years time we'll pinch ourselves that he plays for us, that's how good I think he'll become, providing his attitude and desire is spot on and we surround him with good players. I can't remember the last time I was this excited by a Toon player. Oh. he's the real deal this lad.

Anyway, about time we had a Martins wankfest  O0

For someone who hasn't quite convinced performances wise for us (in the main), his 14 goal tally and his goal threat is very impressive and I can't hold back any longer, I think we have ourselves an absolute diamond of a player on our hands with the potential to be a world-class player, or a world star. He had a stinking game last night, yet scored a delightful goal and carried a goal threat throughout and that has been the case a few times since signing, playing bad but being extremely productive. Just wait until those improvements come, and they will, he will literally be unstoppable. I see so much in his game to be very happy about, he's gonna be a player in a few years time we'll pinch ourselves that he plays for us, that's how good I think he'll become, providing his attitude and desire is spot on and we surround him with good players. I can't remember the last time I was this excited by a Toon player. Oh. he's the real deal this lad.

I doubt he will be.

My only problem with him. (not him in terms of his personality, mainly our club unable to keep him)

I hope you're right HTT, there's a lot in his game that's excellent; lightning quick, strong, incredible jump, can strike the ball ferociously with either foot. His link-up play's improved a lot this season. Seems to have a good eye for a through ball.

If only someone would tell him to get his arse over to the f****** near post.

Guest Knightrider

He's not a near (or far post) type of striker and never will be Magic, he's not an opportunist like a Michael Owen, people will need to accept that to save on disappointment or frustration. And who is to say a striker has to be such a player? The modern game doesn't.

I had a HUGE problem with him when he started,his first touch was poor,he would rather dribble then shoot,he seemed to do everything the wrong way

Now,he is THE player to me,he is the guy i count on to produce the goods,his pace is amazing but what i like more about him is his finishing,blast it in with no mercey,reminds me a bit of Shearers finishing,still,its his first season and he might have the seconed season syndrome,but i have to say i am very impressed with his peformence this season,Class player

He's not a near (or far post) type of striker and never will be Magic, he's not an opportunist like a Michael Owen, people will need to accept that to save on disappointment or frustration. And who is to say a striker has to be such a player? The modern game doesn't.

I certainly agree that he's not an instinctive striker like Michael Owen, and will never be in Owen's league in that respect, but that's why I think a simple command like 'get to the near post' would be so effective. And I'm sure that's one simple thing that could be worked on in drills.

A striker doesn't need to be that type of player, but I think he would score a lot more goals if he developed that part of his game a bit. We've got players who can get to the byline and get a lot of crosses in. Most of the time we have no-one attacking the near post, which makes them far easier to defend. Even if the ball doesn't go to the near post a quick runner getting across there can distract defenders and pull them out of position. He's far too stationary in the box in my opinion. Our whole team is too stationary when we attack. We don't try and pull defences out of shape.

Look at that own goal last week. Commentator said Martins would have got it if the defender had cleared it, but actually I'm not 100% sure of that. He'd managed to get himself a bit too far forward and would have made things difficult for himself. A simple quick move across the goal towards Dyer would have given him an open goal, but his runs are too vertical. I can't remember any specifics offhand but I remember a thinking a few times that he's been standing still in the middle of the box when all he needed was to nip in fron of his man and he'd of had a great chance. I just feel that while he has almost all the tools to be potentially a really great player, he just needs to get himself into a position to score a few more tap-ins, and in my opinion if he got over to the near post more often instead of waiting for the ball he'd do that.

I hope we can keep him here

And the fact that he is still 22 makes you wonder how good he will be in 4-5 years time

I certainly agree that he's not an instinctive striker like Michael Owen, and will never be in Owen's league in that respect, but that's why I think a simple command like 'get to the near post' would be so effective. And I'm sure that's one simple thing that could be worked on in drills.

A striker doesn't need to be that type of player, but I think he would score a lot more goals if he developed that part of his game a bit. We've got players who can get to the byline and get a lot of crosses in. Most of the time we have no-one attacking the near post, which makes them far easier to defend. Even if the ball doesn't go to the near post a quick runner getting across there can distract defenders and pull them out of position. He's far too stationary in the box in my opinion. Our whole team is too stationary when we attack. We don't try and pull defences out of shape.

But I think this is why so many of us are creaming ourselves over the thought of Owen and Martins up front together. Owen is up there with the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Crespo when it comes to playing the near post, hell do all the scavaging and be looking to get all the poachers goals inside the box, whilst Martins hangs around the edge of the penalty box looking for the cut back (which hes clearly been coached at Inter imo, alot of his goals come from that type of play) and is the big threat outside the box. Its exactly what you want in a partnership, neither player doing the same thing but both being equally dangerous. Spells goals galore to me.

If we could add a genuine playmaker to this, a Beardo or similar, someone with quality on the ball as well as creativity and the ability to chip in with 10+ goals (ie good striking cover for Owen too, and not Dyer), then wed have an attack that could probably carry us to a top 4 position, because wed bury most of the average and poor sides in the Premiership.

I had a HUGE problem with him when he started,his first touch was poor,he would rather dribble then shoot,he seemed to do everything the wrong way

Now,he is THE player to me,he is the guy i count on to produce the goods,his pace is amazing but what i like more about him is his finishing,blast it in with no mercey,reminds me a bit of Shearers finishing,still,its his first season and he might have the seconed season syndrome,but i have to say i am very impressed with his peformence this season,Class player

I still have a problem with his first touch, if he can crack that then he'll be a class player because he has no problem finding the net.  His pace and power is amazing and the most important assets to have, he just needs to get his touch right then he'll be up with the best.

He reminds me of Malcolm Macdonald quite a bit except Macdonald was better with his head, when Martins gets the ball you know he's only got one thing on his mind, to have a crack at goal.

It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to going a few games without a goal as he seems to show a lot of frustration during games when things aren't going for him.

According to Anal, he isn't impressive enough... His goal tally was outshone in december by shearer who then went on to score 27 goals in his first season.  :rolleyes:

Oliver seems to have problems with most foreign players or those who refuse to give him interviews, if Oliver said it was dark outside I'd probably open the curtains to make sure.

According to Anal, he isn't impressive enough... His goal tally was outshone in december by shearer who then went on to score 27 goals in his first season.  :rolleyes:

Oliver seems to have problems with most foreign players or those who refuse to give him interviews, if Oliver said it was dark outside I'd probably open the curtains to make sure.

:lol: He does talk some shite though doesn't he.. He used to play footie with me dad, in leadgate, he used to talk shite then to.. surprise surprise.

:lol: He does talk some s**** though doesn't he.. He used to play footie with me dad, in leadgate, he used to talk s**** then to.. surprise surprise.

Your dad could have done us all a favour and crippled him, he couldn't have made him any uglier though.

Guest Moe-Ali

Im still pinching myself because he plays for us!!

NEWCASTLE UNITED HAVE OBAFEMI MARTINS!!!

Not too long ago, i was just an admirer of his when he was at inter milano

and now hes my favourite toon player.

I agree with the coach(htt), we've got some absolute dynamite in our squad, with oba.

he is one of the best players in the epl this season.................AND ITS HIS FIRST SEASON!

ALSO, hes been injured, and newcastle are not doing particularly well, and for him to come out

and have a debut season like he is having is nothing short of spectacular

People seem a bit worried that we'll lose him. There isn't really much recent (last 10 years or so) history of Newcastle being a selling club. The only ones that come to mind are selling a constantly injured Woodgate at a profit and Jenas who wanted to leave and most people weren't bothered to lose. If Chelsea come in with an insane offer (£25m+) then we may sell but I can't see us selling him to anyone else. Martins is probably happy because he has gone from being a sub at Inter to the main man at Newcastle.

I think he's been great. I don't know why people have been critical of him, or how he started with us - probably the £10m price tag to be honest, but he's still only 22 (was 21 when we bought him) and had come to us from Internazionale. I think it was just a question of a young player settling in and adapting to the English game. He's doing that now, and he's looking very good. In 2 or 3 or 4 years he'll be a hell of a player. I just hope he's still with us.

But I think this is why so many of us are creaming ourselves over the thought of Owen and Martins up front together. Owen is up there with the likes of Van Nistelrooy and Crespo when it comes to playing the near post, hell do all the scavaging and be looking to get all the poachers goals inside the box, whilst Martins hangs around the edge of the penalty box looking for the cut back (which hes clearly been coached at Inter imo, alot of his goals come from that type of play) and is the big threat outside the box. Its exactly what you want in a partnership, neither player doing the same thing but both being equally dangerous. Spells goals galore to me.

If we could add a genuine playmaker to this, a Beardo or similar, someone with quality on the ball as well as creativity and the ability to chip in with 10+ goals (ie good striking cover for Owen too, and not Dyer), then wed have an attack that could probably carry us to a top 4 position, because wed bury most of the average and poor sides in the Premiership.

I can never understand why people think Martins and Owen are not going to work as a partnership (except because they are both small). Your post sums up exactly why I think they will work. The type of players they are I doubt they will often be caught going for the same ball.

Only reason that people are critical of him is because we have been spoiled with such incredible talent over the last 10 years.

Personally Les Ferdinand still ranks as the best striker i have ever seen.  Certainly in terms of raw power......Cole had more finese.

PErsonally i dont think nartins will be world class, i dont think he reads the game well enough. However having a 20+ goal a season striker is nothing to be sad about)

Matins future on tyneside will probably depend if he slots in well with owen.

April will be a very interesting month!!