N'Zogbia vs Duff

Newcastle Fan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Duff,we all know what he can do,but he is not really doing it here,his peformence has been shit,he seems to lost it all and could hardly return to his former self against a bunch of part timers

N'Zogbia,we've seen what he is able to do,he is one of the most talented playes in our Squad and even though his peformence has dropped this season,he will surley want to prove himself as a better player then Duff.

So,if  you had both of them fit,something that Roeder will have in a couple of weeks or less,who would you choose,and why?

Never wanted us to sign Duff at all. N'Zogbia has all the tools to be a far better player than Duff ever was, and is easily already a better player than Duff is now in my opinion.

It's one decision by Roeder I really hate, because it basically says to N'Zogbia 'Good season last year buddy, you were our most productive player. But fuck ya, we're signing this guy to play in your position instead.'

It can't make him feel wanted and I suspect he'll end up being a star for someone else a few years down the line, while we'll be stuck with an ageing Duff, running frantically with his head down into blind alleys, giving no end product whatsoever.

seeing zog last year taking it to the corner, doing some crazy step-over to nutmeg move and putting crosses in was the highlight of the season for me. might as well give him the chance to do it again.

Depends on what we believe is more likely.

Are we more likely to get a former class player who is currently a shadow of his old self back to his best, or are we more likely to develop a promising young talent into a class player?

The latter for me, so I would go with Zog.

N'Zogbia by a mile, the lads got loads of potential and is as direct as Martins most of the time.  I can't wait to see him back, I'm not sure he'll get picked ahead of Duff, we'll see.

Duff played Martins in really well for his goal on Thursday but I think N'Zogbia would have made more of an impact on the game over 90 minutes than Duff.  Duff arriving has came at the same time as Zog stuttering, I think it's because he's lost a bit of confidence, Roeder could easily give him that back by picking him ahead of Duff and telling him that he's playing on merit, again, I don't expect that to happen.

Prove me wrong Glenda.

N'zogbia tbh...  He, at his age obviously has the better talent.. He's someone i have loved to watch in the team, yes he had a bit of a dip in form, but fuck that, if we want to see the Zog at his best again he will have to play games, Duff for experience.. but Zoggy for talent without a shadow of a doubt.

Depends.

Might play Duff at left back and Zog on the left wing.

Might pair Zog with Parker and play Duff on the left wing. (who knows if Emre will play again)

Zog wasn't that impressive and Duff has looked better recently (albeit against part-timers) Still waiting for Duff to come through.

Our manager is afraid to drop certain players and Duff is one of them, the Zog is one of my favourite players but how much did he play when both were fit? more sub appearences than starts i would imagen, sickens me because we have real talent here and he needs games, just look at Milner, he is doing this season what N'Zogbia did last season, imagen both of them playing like that, would be immense

Guest Ridzuan

I think both of them are great players and I am fine with either one of them starting.But if I have to choose one,I probably pick Zoggy.I agree that Duff's performance since he move here is disappointing,in particular before he got that injury.However,I can see that hes performance is getting better and better after his return and I hope it continues.As for Zoggy,he has obviously played more matches for us than Duff has,and he is good too on the left flank.That is probably why I will choose him instead of Duff.

As it stands now, both these players are under-performing.  Zog hasn't looked anywhere near the player he was last year (before injured) and Duff has struggled to fit in up here.  It's all too easy to hate on Duff because most of you thought he was an excessive buy.  Albeit, after he's failed to live up to your expectations.  There was no way of predicting that Duff would struggle as he has.  It's easy to play Devil's Advocate now and slag bringing him here, but with his pedigree, who wouldn't have done that deal??  As they say, hindsight is 20/20. 

Play Duff, his quality will come.  He showed what's he capable of in the last 15min against Zulte. (Yes, yes, 15min isn't good enough, but it's a start in the right direction.)  He played better when he knew we were going through. Why is that? Is Duff trying too hard to impress and putting too much pressure on himself? I certainly think so.  He's a smarter player than what he's showed this season.  I don't remember him beating his man, only to trip over the ball three steps later and lose possession at Blackburn or Chelsea?  That Duff would have beat his man and had an eye for goal.   

He comes from a team where he was surrounded by world beaters and could just play his game with the focus not being entirely on him.  Look at all the shite Drogba put up with when he wasn't scoring as much as expected.  Schevchenko comes in and Drogba is arguably the best striker in the Prem.  Why? Less pressure was put on him and he could concentrate on his football.  Were our expectations too high of Duff?  Probably, but it's his own ability that has built up that expectation.  I say he deserves to be given his chance to prove his detractors wrong (myself included).  If we're to go further in Europe and climb our way up the table, we need a Damien Duff at his best.  Simple as. 

Sorry for being long winded, but this situation has been getting on my tit's all season.  I'm just going on what I've seen and that's about it.  I truly hope Dammo comes good, as I was a fan of his before he came here and was pretty excited at his signing.  A goal against Wigan would do wonders. Hell, I'd even settle for a few sublime through balls. 

As it stands now, both these players are under-performing.  Zog hasn't looked anywhere near the player he was last year (before injured) and Duff has struggled to fit in up here.  It's all too easy to hate on Duff because most of you thought he was an excessive buy.  Albeit, after he's failed to live up to your expectations.  There was no way of predicting that Duff would struggle as he has.  It's easy to play Devil's Advocate now and slag bringing him here, but with his pedigree, who wouldn't have done that deal??  As they say, hindsight is 20/20. 

Play Duff, his quality will come.  He showed what's he capable of in the last 15min against Zulte. (Yes, yes, 15min isn't good enough, but it's a start in the right direction.)  He played better when he knew we were going through. Why is that? Is Duff trying too hard to impress and putting too much pressure on himself? I certainly think so.  He's a smarter player than what he's showed this season.  I don't remember him beating his man, only to trip over the ball three steps later and lose possession at Blackburn or Chelsea?  That Duff would have beat his man and had an eye for goal.   

He comes from a team where he was surrounded by world beaters and could just play his game with the focus not being entirely on him.  Look at all the s**** Drogba put up with when he wasn't scoring as much as expected.  Schevchenko comes in and Drogba is arguably the best striker in the Prem.  Why? Less pressure was put on him and he could concentrate on his football.  Were our expectations too high of Duff?  Probably, but it's his own ability that has built up that expectation.  I say he deserves to be given his chance to prove his detractors wrong (myself included).  If we're to go further in Europe and climb our way up the table, we need a Damien Duff at his best.  Simple as. 

Sorry for being long winded, but this situation has been getting on my tit's all season.  I'm just going on what I've seen and that's about it.  I truly hope Dammo comes good, as I was a fan of his before he came here and was pretty excited at his signing.  A goal against Wigan would do wonders. Hell, I'd even settle for a few sublime through balls. 

I doubt many people hate Duff, he's done nothing to make people hate him.  When he signed my feelings were that we'd signed a quality player who we didn't need.

I think most people were a bit pissed off that we signed a player that a lot of people felt we didn't need and that was said at the time of his transfer.  The fact that he's turned out to be a waste of £5 million so far just proves those who felt the money should go elsewhere were right, yes, that bit's hindsight but that doesn't change the fact that so far he's been very poor and he would have been slaughtered if he was a lesser player (historically) costing that money for very little return.

His "pedigree" seems to be the only reason that he doesn't get more stick, he gets a lot less stick than a few other players who have cost this club less than Duff or nothing at all.  I can't see any problem with Duff having his value to the team questioned by the fans, he's been a passenger in the team for too long this season, he's yet to justify his weekly wage, never mind his transfer fee, a third of the budget for a year.

Duff shouldn't be picked because of what he did at Blackburn or Chelsea, he was no world beater at Chelsea and that's one of the reasons we were allowed to sign him.  He's had plenty of time to settle in here but has so far failed to do so, possibly due to his stop/start season through injuries but also possibly due to having no drive.  Maybe he played well at Blackburn because he was hungry and now lost that when he went to Chelsea for such a large fee, maybe he felt that was the sign that he'd made it and could start to relax.

I think his lack of form is down to one of three reasons, a lack of motivation, a lack of hunger or his injuries.  Even if it is one of them he's had plenty of chances to prove himself and has been picked on his past record rather than merit, I would say that he's never played a single game on merit, at least not based on what he’s done here, 15 minutes against a very poor team isn’t good enough.

Duff was surrounded by good players at Chelsea, he wasn't at Blackburn.  I can't see that he's under any kind of pressure here because we're expecting too much of him, I think we expect him to put in a good 90 minutes when he plays, that's something we have every right to expect, we should expect that of the 11 who turn out every week, when I see Duff I don't see a plyer who appears to be trying too hard, I see a player who tries no harder than anybody else.

He can have no complaints about his treatment from the fans as they've given him a lot of slack, a lot of slack which hasn't been afforded to some other players recently.

Duff has to start living up to his reputation and he has to do it soon or should be dropped once N’Zogbia becomes fit again, Duff playing poorly should not prevent N’Zogbia from developing.

I really don't think the "second season syndrome" thing (or whatever number season) applies to Zoggy, because he simply hasn't been playing.

If he'd been a regular and under performed then yes, he'd deserve criticism. But he's been shafted from the first 11 pretty much. And did show big signs of improving when he put some games together.

Most of the criticism is simply unfair. Edit: Just like the post below  :rolleyes:

Duff is class. He hasn't settled yet, but he was a good signing and we need to persist with him.

Defenders have sussed Zoggy out a bit and know how to play him. That's why he's been poor this season. He needs to work on his game a bit, and perhaps work on his attitude as well.