Martins on Owen

Dokko

http://www.worldfootballers.com/footballnews.php/football-home/all/martins-on-owen%3A-i-cant-wait-16869.html

Martins on Owen: I can't wait

Nigerian livewire striker Obafemi Martins says he can’t wait to link up with Micheal Owen at Newcastle United once he has returned from his knee injury.

"Everyone knows how exciting it is to have Michael back.” Martins told The Sun.

"He'll bring more firepower to our attack and being a deadly striker I can't wait to have him back.

"We share similar attributes. Considering his pace, skills and ability to create and score goals from anywhere, I believe we will make a formidable partnership."

He added: "Owen was one of the main names mentioned when Glenn Roeder sold the club to me.

"We haven't really spoken much but he appears cool, focused and determined."

Worrying.

I wouldn't read too much into that, mate. Owen does a lot of commercial work himself, which will take up any free time, but he'll also have been darting around the world for his knee.

Besides aren't players with an injury of his type (serious that is) made to train on their own anyway? Keep them focused.

Worrying.

:D Hardly.

Why haven't they spoken?

Where has Owen been?

He could at least pop in now and then for his £100kpw+

Worrying.

I wouldn't read too much into that, mate.  Owen does a lot of commercial work himself, which will take up any free time, but he'll also have been darting around the world for his knee. 

Besides aren't players with an injury of his type (serious that is) made to train on their own anyway?  Keep them focused.

Just think it would be a wise move to get them sat down at least once a month for a day and talk about football, tactics, life and build a relationship if they are to build a partnership.

Or is that too Ferguson/Wenger or Mourinho for Newcastle?

Doesn't sound like much team building has been going on with "We haven't really spoken much but he appears cool, focused and determined." for me.

I know St Mike is a busy man talking about England and selling his soul, but it would of been nice the reason why Martins signed actually took part in looking after the new arrival.

Worrying.

I wouldn't read too much into that, mate. Owen does a lot of commercial work himself, which will take up any free time, but he'll also have been darting around the world for his knee.

Besides aren't players with an injury of his type (serious that is) made to train on their own anyway? Keep them focused.

Just think it would be a wise move to get them sat down at least once a month for a day and talk about football, tactics, life and build a relationship if they are to build a partnership.

Doesn't sound like much team building has been going on with "We haven't really spoken much but he appears cool, focused and determined." for me.

I know St Mike is a busy man talking about England and selling his soul, but it would of been nice the reason why Martins signed actually took part in looking after the new arrival.

I hate to say, I think you are reading far too much into this. Martins was being honest, "seems cool, not really spoke to him much though", that to me seems pretty fair enough. Considering, if anyone, it's Ameobi, Sibi and (arguably) Luque he should be talking to, going by your logic.

To expect Owen to take a break from his other committments, to have a "chat" isn't really realistic. I also have trouble believing Wenger, Fergie or Jose would bring in a striker (that still might not train with your current top goalscorer for another 6 months, never mind play) just for a chat, to be brutally honest with you.

I'm sure if you asked Martins his opinion on every single player, you'll find he's not spoken to quite a few. Chances are, Martins and Owen could despise one another. Getting on doesn't necessarily mean you'll make a good partnership. Sometimes you've just got to to let friendships/relationships occur naturally, rather than them being flung in some room together once a month to talk about football and life. You'd pure hate that, think about it yourself. If a manager phoned me up and asked me to do that, quite frankly, I'd tell him to fuck off.

Worrying.

I wouldn't read too much into that, mate.  Owen does a lot of commercial work himself, which will take up any free time, but he'll also have been darting around the world for his knee. 

Besides aren't players with an injury of his type (serious that is) made to train on their own anyway?  Keep them focused.

I hate to say, I think you are reading far too much into this.  Martins was being honest, "seems cool, not really spoke to him much though", that to me seems pretty fair enough.  Considering, if anyone, it's Ameobi, Sibi and (arguably) Luque he should be talking to, going by your logic. 

To expect Owen to take a break from his other committments, to have a "chat" isn't really realistic.  I also have trouble believing Wenger, Fergie or Jose would bring in a striker (that still might not train with your current top goalscorer for another 6 months, never mind play) just for a chat, to be brutally honest with you.

I'm sure if you asked Martins his opinion on every single player, you'll find he's not spoken to quite a few.  Chances are, Martins and Owen could despise one another.  Getting on doesn't necessarily mean you'll make a good partnership.  Sometimes you've just got to to let friendships/relationships occur naturally.  Rather than them being flung in some room together once a month to talk about football and life.  You'd pure hate that, think about it yourself.  If a manager phoned me up and asked me to do that, quite frankly, I'd tell him to fuck off.

I think team building exercises are important, whatever the technique used, it just seems Owen hasn't been involved in any of it.

I just get a feeling that Owen hasn't been anywhere Newcastle for some length of time until training again, which means this isn't his home and he's not settled.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Obagoal isn't the greatest conversationialist in the world, he is more concerned with putting the ball in the back of the f****** net

Guest Texasmag

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Owen at the training ground every day for his physio? It could be that he is there, after the players have been dismissed for the day. Hence that is why they haven't seen much of each other.

All sounds good to me, I am not supprised at all that they have not spoken much, Owen is not traning with the full squad yet anyway..

Cant wait to see them upfront together, shame we don't have the right squad to play a 4-3-3. Dyer---Owen---Martins. Way to much pace there for any back four in the world to cope with.