The dreaded blue screen!!

indi

Help!!

Whilst I was away, my pc crashed and showed an error message, has anyone got any idea what might be causing it?

Thanks for the help, here's the message:

-----------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advaced Startup Options, andthen select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF70E7328, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF70E7328)

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F70E7328 base at F70C9000, datestamp 41107d62

*** USBPORT.SYS - Address F70E7328 base at F70C9000, datestamp 41107d62

-----------------------

Help!!

Done that thanks, was going to flash my BIOS because they're old apparently, but bottled it when it said something about the new ones being incorrect and did I really want to do it!!

So, re-installing my usb drivers is a nice and freindly alternative, thanks, hope it works!!

Hasn't your computer had loads of problems like this before?

Anyway... Try removing your RAM and make sure there's no dust on it or whatever. Also, try reseting your windows paging file:

01. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

02. Select the Advanced tab.

03. Press the Settings button under Performance.

04. Select the Advanced tab.

05. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

06. Make a note of your current settings, then select No paging file and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

07. Press OK, OK, and OK.

08. Shutdown and restart your computer.

09. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

10. Select the Advanced tab.

11. Press the Settings button under Performance.

12. Select the Advanced tab.

13. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

14. Put your settings back to how they were and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

15. Press OK, OK, and OK.

Hasn't your computer had loads of problems like this before?

Anyway... Try removing your RAM and make sure there's no dust on it or whatever. Also, try reseting your windows paging file:

01. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

02. Select the Advanced tab.

03. Press the Settings button under Performance.

04. Select the Advanced tab.

05. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

06. Make a note of your current settings, then select No paging file and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

07. Press OK, OK, and OK.

08. Shutdown and restart your computer.

09. Right-click My Computer and press Properties.

10. Select the Advanced tab.

11. Press the Settings button under Performance.

12. Select the Advanced tab.

13. Press the Change button under Virtual memory.

14. Put your settings back to how they were and press the Set button. Press Yes if prompted.

15. Press OK, OK, and OK.

Yeah, it's really starting to get on my tits now.

I've already done the paging file thing, unfortunately. I'll try taking the ram out and see if it's that. *sigh*

I had something like this when I first bought my motherboard.

When does it crash? It used to happen to me when exiting games with certain engines (Unreal Engine mostly). I installed the motherboard drivers which were released a few months later which sorted me out. You also ought to put on new graphics drivers just in case.

Try looking for the newest update for all your drivers on the manufacturer's websites instead of those on the CD, which will be well out of date.

I had something like this when I first bought my motherboard.

When does it crash? It used to happen to me when exiting games with certain engines (Unreal Engine mostly). I installed the motherboard drivers which were released a few months later which sorted me out. You also ought to put on new graphics drivers just in case.

Try looking for the newest update for all your drivers on the manufacturer's websites instead of those on the CD, which will be well out of date.

I'll give that a go, cheers.

Guest Lazlo

Did this start happening when you installed your new Sata drive ?

I'm just having a shot in the dark, but did you install the sata pre-install drivers with f6 when you installed windows ?

I don't know your h.d config but if it is the only sata one on your computer it may still need to be configured as a jbod device in your Sil raid controller as well.

Not doing either of the above can cause blue screens & unusual behaviour. If bios fails to recognise it completely in post then it's definitely one of the above.

It's probably not even that and i'm just waffling  :tongue3:

Did this start happening when you installed your new Sata drive ?

I'm just having a shot in the dark, but did you install the sata pre-install drivers with f6 when you installed windows ? Erm don't know

I don't know your h.d config but if it is the only sata one on your computer it may still need to be configured as a jbod device in your Sil raid controller as well. I had an IDE and a SATA already installed ie I now have 1 IDE and 2 SATAs. Can you explain that in idiot's terms please, because I don't understand. ;)

Not doing either of the above can cause blue screens & unusual behaviour. If bios fails to recognise it completely in post then it's definitely one of the above. When I installed it, Windows recognised it and installed it, but I had to format it because it was "unallocated", I don't know if this is what normally happens, or not.

It's probably not even that and i'm just waffling  :tongue3:

Cheers for your advice, if you can explain it to me, I'd be grateful, thanks mate.

PS It's been running non-stop since Sunday, by the way, with no problems at all. :)

Guest Lazlo

If it's been running ok then it's not worth fiddling with Indigo, but try this next time you install windows onto one of your sata drives (everything will run quicker obviously if it is installed on sata rather than ide)

First download the sata pre-install Sil 3114 driver from http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/uk/download/download_driver_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Driver&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=AX8-3rd+Eye&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket%20939

anc copy the files onto a floppy. You must have your Sata drives plugged into slot 3 + 4. slot 1 + 2 use the older intel driver.

Install windows as usual only when promped hit press f6 to install third party scsi drivers... Insert the floppy and load up each file seperately (usually 2)

Once windows is done after re-boot post hit ctrl-s or however it says in the manual to enter the SiL config and set both your sata drives to 'Jbod'.  This tells the controller that you are not running a  Raid config and then your drives should be allocated, faster and less bother.

It may not make any difference.... The last two builds i have had however i have had to do this on both of them, one was sil3114 and the other was nforce4 (sata2). Some motherboards will configure this automatically but i've never done Abit boards. The two i've just done were asus a8n deluxe and a gigabyte k8nxp-sli

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell!! I thought I'd seen the last of this little bugger, but no, he's back, the bastard!!

Anyway, I think I know what caused it: Bloody Windows update! Like an idiot I installed the suggested update for my wireless card and of course it didn't work and buggered it all up, so I've had to reinstall it. Since then I've had the blue screen error again, twice.

Any suggestions, I fact I'm not sure why I'm asking this, I'm just going to revert to my backup of c from Saturday, hopefully ghost will save the day once again. Fingers crossed, see you on the other side!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

[http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/bearzy1985/DCP_0847.jpg[/img]

I'm on the verge of smashing me fucking PC up because of this fucker... I've been getting it for about 3 months now.. and when i get it i have to restart and load up with my last good settings option or my comp wont load properly.. Why does it keep turning itself off and showing this bloody screen?!?!?!?