The Official Oscars Thread

DJ_NUFC

This is as much an Oscars thread as it is a thread to grind my personal axe (which is fucking massive) with the masturbatory adulation The Departed is receiving.

A piss-poor remake that actually contains fucking loopholes after adapting from a loophole-less film, it has won Best Screenplay so far, and as the screenwriter was going up for the award they announced, "The Departed was a remake of a Japanese movie Infernal Affairs."

If ever further proof was needed to show that they know nothing about films in Hollywood, there it was. Hong Kong, Japan, they're all the same. Small eyes. Who cares. Marty can make THEIR movies better, he's American. Let's suck his fucking cock.

And I love Marty, have nothing against him. He should've taken home at least 6 Oscars but has won none, and if he does win it for The Departed, I probably won't be that mad as on a personal level he would deserve it, even if not for this particular film (of which only the first 20 mins were good before it tried flaccidly to incorporate some semblance of story into it).

Credit to the screenwriter for giving props to Alan Mak and the original screenwriters for Infernal Affairs. I really wish he would've adapted it better. Coz this version made no fucking sense.

Leo was good though, cracking performances.

Also, another oscar for Canada in the Best Animated Short category and surely they're leading the race when it comes to the hand-drawn moving image. NFB forever!

Deepa Mehta might lose out to Pan's Labyrinth, unfortunately. Water was good. Ryan Gosling was surprisingly fantastic in Half Nelson -- a film I thought I'd hate but actually ended up liking a lot.

Any favourites, predictions?

Heh, if you were that upset before, you must be f****** apoplectic now.

The "Japanese" thing struck me too. Plus having to apologize to Penelope Cruz because they assumed she was Mexican...that was something.

This is as much an Oscars thread as it is a thread to grind my personal axe (which is f****** massive) with the masturbatory adulation The Departed is receiving.

A piss-poor remake that actually contains f****** loopholes after adapting from a loophole-less film, it has won Best Screenplay so far, and as the screenwriter was going up for the award they announced, "The Departed was a remake of a Japanese movie Infernal Affairs."

If ever further proof was needed to show that they know nothing about films in Hollywood, there it was. Hong Kong, Japan, they're all the same. Small eyes. Who cares. Marty can make THEIR movies better, he's American. Let's suck his f****** cock.

And I love Marty, have nothing against him. He should've taken home at least 6 Oscars but has won none, and if he does win it for The Departed, I probably won't be that mad as on a personal level he would deserve it, even if not for this particular film (of which only the first 20 mins were good before it tried flaccidly to incorporate some semblance of story into it).

Credit to the screenwriter for giving props to Alan Mak and the original screenwriters for Infernal Affairs. I really wish he would've adapted it better. Coz this version made no f****** sense.

Also, another oscar for Canada in the Best Animated Short category and surely they're leading the race when it comes to the hand-drawn moving image. NFB forever!

Deepa Mehta might lose out to Pan's Labyrinth, unfortunately. Water was good. Ryan Gosling was surprisingly fantastic in Half Nelson -- a film I thought I'd hate but actually ended up liking a lot.

Congratulations for actually watching The Departed all the way through.  I managed 30 minutes (on a plane) - such was the utter tedium of this cliche riddled crapfest, I cleansed it from my brain by switching to Fearless (Jet Li)......I would have been gutted if I'd actually paid to watch Scorsese's effort.  Wahlberg was particularly painful imo.

Still, sometimes Hollywood gives long service awards to working directors via a lesser film, you can't knock the man's achievements, so he deserves it over all imo.

This is as much an Oscars thread as it is a thread to grind my personal axe (which is fucking massive) with the masturbatory adulation The Departed is receiving.

A piss-poor remake that actually contains fucking loopholes after adapting from a loophole-less film, it has won Best Screenplay so far, and as the screenwriter was going up for the award they announced, "The Departed was a remake of a Japanese movie Infernal Affairs."

If ever further proof was needed to show that they know nothing about films in Hollywood, there it was. Hong Kong, Japan, they're all the same. Small eyes. Who cares. Marty can make THEIR movies better, he's American. Let's suck his fucking cock.

Credit to the screenwriter for giving props to Alan Mak and the original screenwriters for Infernal Affairs. I really wish he would've adapted it better. Coz this version made no fucking sense.

What loopholes?

It was adapted screenplay, not Screenplay, so that's fair enough imo.

What loopholes?

*Must re-think having this bugger in my top 10 for 2006*.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6395861.stm

Best picture

The Departed

Best director

Martin Scorsese, The Departed

Best actor

Forest Whitaker, The Last King of Scotland

Best actress

Helen Mirren, The Queen

Best supporting actress

Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls

Best supporting actor

Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine

One's people care about, if any are worthy of care.

What loopholes?

Christ.

Come to an opinion soon because if the wind changes it'll stay like that.  ;)

What loopholes?

Christ.

I know man...Can't believe I've got into such a tizzy over this film. You're partly to blame.... :angel:

What loopholes?

Christ.

I know man...Can't believe I've got into such a tizzy over this film. You're partly to blame.... :angel:

I can understand that.  You can't believe I could be wrong on anything.  :coolsmiley:

What loopholes?

Christ.

I can understand that.  You can't believe I could be wrong on anything.   :coolsmiley:

So, to conclude - I was right in the first place. ^-^

He should have won it for The Aviator, so it's justice.

The Queen is almost certainly NOT overated.

Was a bit pissed off at the wankfest over Little Miss Sunshine, it's not that good. Particularly Alan Arkin, Djimon Hounsou should have won it.

Jennifer Hudson, give me a fucking break. Better than Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal? Nur. Seems as though they had to give Dreamgirls something.

Jennifer Hudson, give me a fucking break. Better than Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal? Nur. Seems as though they had to give Dreamgirls something.

Just like how an all white film would be applauded ey?  :-X

Anyway, not seen the departed but if its a remake / rehash etc of an older film then I greatly dislike it when over the top soopafans of obscure cinema cant appreciate a film for what it is rather than pick holes in the differences between that and the original. As i say, i've not seen the film, it could be wank.. but dont write a film off because of its differences with the original.

He should have won it for The Aviator, so it's justice.

The Queen is almost certainly NOT overated.

Was a bit pissed off at the wankfest over Little Miss Sunshine, it's not that good. Particularly Alan Arkin, Djimon Hounsou should have won it.

Jennifer Hudson, give me a f****** break. Better than Cate Blanchett in Notes on a Scandal? Nur. Seems as though they had to give Dreamgirls something.

I thought LMS was really good and I thought Alan Arkin was class in it. I haven't seen 'Blood Diamond' though.

I was pleased The Departed won. Cracking film in my opinion. Couldnt hive a hoot about what it was based on or what it could have been. What i saw was a very enjoyable film.