What's the deal with Gooch?

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

On teletext they gave him 3/10, on Sky Sports 5/10, and on Century they named him our man of the match and said he hardly put a foot wrong (and that's coming from Bob Moncur). Anyone who was at the game like to put forward their views?

Guest Darth Toon

Didn't have a brilliant game, but that doesn't exactly set him apart.

Very dominant in the air, but looked a bit uncertain with the ball at his feet - mind you, the dodgy pitch didn't help that, nor did the fact that there was invariably no-one showing for a pass, so his options were very limited.

Having Nobby at right back is a big help to our centre-backs, as he always makes himself available for a pass, and they know that if they give it to him he'll be able to control it properly - put Taylor and Hunty in the full back positions, and guess what, it's long ball time again  >:(

Guest Bramble OG

Thought he did ok, a few wild swings at the ball but iam sure the state of the pitch and conditions had a bit to do with it.

I think any defender coming in is on a uphill battle as Fans expect the new guy to be some sort of super defender that will solve all our problems, therefore any mistake he makes he will get - "oh another bramble/boumsong".

He reminds me so much of Boumsong - not in ability but just the look of him on the tele with his shirt out etc, gives me shudders!

Played ok yesterday, the free kick for the goal was pretty harsh on him I thought.

Should have had Gooch on the post for me, Shay misses it at least our tallenst defender could have had a chance to clear it..

You can't put Gooch on the post. It was in a position where it could have been crossed and with Gooch on the line everybody would have crowded in in front of Given meaning any little touch could have turned it in.

Should have had Gooch on the post for me, Shay misses it at least our tallenst defender could have had a chance to clear it..

You can't put Gooch on the post. It was in a position where it could have been crossed and with Gooch on the line everybody would have crowded in in front of Given meaning any little touch could have turned it in.

Le Sib then! anyone on that post with a bit of height.

Le Sib then! anyone on that post with a bit of height.

Your missing the piont. If we put anyone on that post their players will come in and obstruct Given's line of vision making the probobility of a goal more likely.

If ever someone's footballing knowledge was summed up in one post, that was it.

Guest nufc_geordie

If Given had have positioned himself properly then he would have save dthe free kick!

Gooch was OK but he should be playing alongside Taylor. I would have given him 6/10.

If Given had have positioned himself properly then he would have save dthe free kick!

To blame anyone for the goal is silly. It was a very good free kick and there was nothing anybody could do about it.

To blame anyone for the goal is silly. It was a very good free kick and there was nothing anybody could do about it.

It was a daft free-kick to give away, that's about it. Can't take anything away from the strike, it was superb.