Nobbys Penalty Technique

Crumpy Gunt

Obvious and VERY predictable.

Seems in the main he's a one trick pony from the spot. Said to my mate while watching yesterday 'if he goes to the keepers right it'll be saved' - and sure enough......

He needs to change things - he must put just about every (or the vast majority) penalty in the same place.

you cannot fail in putting the ball in the top corner from the spot. I'm a university centre-half and can do it every time,  why can't the pros?

Going high(ish) and down the middle is always good too, if the keeper dives he has no chance

you cannot fail in putting the ball in the top corner from the spot. I'm a university centre-half and can do it every time,  why can't the pros?

Going high(ish) and down the middle is always good too, if the keeper dives he has no chance

It is amazing how you and Stozo can never miss a penalty but the likes of Shearer, Martins and Solano can! Crazy huh!

It is amazing how you and Stozo can never miss a penalty but the likes of Shearer, Martins and Solano can! Crazy huh!

it's actually pretty crazy that any pro can miss from 12 yards to be honest, good saves not withstanding

Nobby loses out in the mind games

Feb 26 2007

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

Nobby Solano today explained how a last- minute change of heart ended up costing Newcastle United dear in their desperately disappointing defeat at Wigan.

Nolberto Solano of Newcastle United takes a penalty which is saved by John Filan of Wigan

United have now failed to score or win in all three of their visits to the JJB Stadium.

And after United let down the 5,000 strong Toon Army in Lancashire, Solano acknowledged his missed penalty was the turning point during the 1-0 defeat.

The Peruvian's penalty duties have been a real talking point this season, with Oba Martins also keen on taking the spot-kicks for United.

Martins missed another crucial kick at Everton during the 3-0 defeat in the North-West but the preferred taker Solano also misfired at Wigan.

Solano (pictured) told the Chronicle: "We knew exactly how important winning at Wigan was and we had enough chances to win it, even before the penalty.

"When you take a penalty you should never change your mind about which way you are going to go.

"In the last few games I have sent the ball to one side, the right, and scored.

"But I changed my mind and went to the left and the keeper went early.

"I have always been told not to change my mind and I am disappointed that I did.

"Against Liverpool and West Ham I went to the keeper's right but this time I didn't.

"If it is any consolation some of the best players in the world have missed a penalty

but at the moment that doesn't make me feel better."

The miss and the defeat makes the Tyne-Tees derby at St James' Park on Saturday even more important.

Solano, pushed back up to midfield from right-back yesterday, says he will be first to grab the ball against Boro - ironically against a team he missed from the spot against in March 2001 during a -1 defeat.

He added: "I am still confident to take penalties and I will step up against Middlesbrough if I have to.

"Every game is different and we have to move on.

"That includes me taking penalties again."

Solano paid tribute to Wigan full-back Ryan Taylor's ambitious free-kick but feels that Wigan should have been put to bed before then.

He said: "They scored a great goal from the free-kick, but overall in the first half we didn't play that badly.

"The second half was disappointing and this result is bad because it has hit our hopes of finishing in the top six, and the manager had stressed how important winning at Wigan was before the game.

"We should have taken three points but now all we can do is try to look forward to Middlesbrough."

He should do what Shearer did,smash it as hard as possible

I don't like the whole soft penalty thing were if the keepr guess's the direction of the ball,then its a save

Players should either put the ball in the top corner or just smash it in like shearer used to do with his penaltys

He should do what Shearer did,smash it as hard as possible

I don't like the whole soft penalty thing were if the keepr guess's the direction of the ball,then its a save

Players should either put the ball in the top corner or just smash it in like shearer used to do with his penaltys

Shearer was so good at them because most of the time he did both of those things.

keeper moved forward before the ball was kicked.  should of been re-taken

Correct, but every keeper does it, and referees don't enforce the rule, for some reason.

A few years ago, under a slightly different law, I think roughly one out of three missed penalties got retaken. Now it's a rarity. I think refs are under so much pressure now that it's easier to let it go.

Guest Bramble OG

it's actually pretty crazy that any pro can miss from 12 yards to be honest, good saves not withstanding

Iam sure solano could put every pen away he takes against a university keeper

Was a good save thats all there is too it, Nobbys penalty taking has never been a problem so he had no reason to change it.