Would you?

James

Say that the club could sell on the majority of first-teamers for a decent price, and we could use this money to buy three world class players (assume anyone would want to sign, and no transfer is more than £30m), while at the same time, we'd have to take risks and promote a few youngsters very early.

That is to say that in addition to three world-class players (of your choice), we'd have the following squad:

Harper

Krul

Srnicek

Bramble

Onyewu

Edgar

Huntington

Ramage

Babayaro

Kazenga LuaLua

Troisi

Patisson

Butt

Solano

O'Brien

Martins

Sibierski

Carroll

Godsmark

Doninger

So in other words, we are selling on all our over 20's who could raise over £2m each, excluding Martins, and renewing the contracts of Bramble, Solano, Srnicek and Sibierski who would all leave for free if we didn't.

Therfore, gone would be (using very optimistic sales here:)

Owen - £14m

Shola - £6m

Dyer - £7m

Emre - £8m

Parker - £10m

Taylor - £5m

N'Zogbia - £10m

Duff - £7m

Milner - £7m

Carr - £2m

Given - £8m

Luque - £2m

That makes £84m which would pretty much give us the cast to buy three world class players.

Would you be willing to sacrifice those players for three world class players?

Who would you choose?

Alternatively you could choose to keep upto £25m worth of our current staff and only buy two players, or keep upto £50m worth and buy one player. Would either of those option be better?

What would the outcome of each scenario be in your opinion?

Are any of these options better than having a £10m budget to spend on non-Hollywood players this summer?

(NB: My player valuations are non-negotiable, this is just some fantasy world, and you have to make do with these valuations)

Should this not be on the special needs forum?

It's all make believe fantasy nonsense which I have made perfectly clear, you dont have to contribute if you dont want to. The real question is whether you'd be willing to forego a large proportion of our current first team squad to replace with a quality player.

Fact is, we've done rather well when certain youngsters have been playing while certain veterans have been out injured, and it does make you wonder, could many of these players be shipped off and replaced with real quality?

Guest Gemmill

The real question is whether you'd be willing to forego a large proportion of our current first team squad to replace with a quality player.

There's only one answer to the question though isn't there, which is "don't be fucking silly", hence my response.  I'm sorry if you thought that this was a genuine platform for intelligent discussion.

That would be the weakest squad in the Premiership.

Would it though?

We'd be short of Given, who I'd sell last in case I could buy the other three necessary players without needing to sell him. That would be a shot in the leg.

Would the defence be any worse or weaker? Probably not, David Edgar is better than Taylor in my opinion, and yet hasn't been playing, so he would be stepping up. Meanwhile, the only other departed player is Carr, who makes the team worse.

Therefore in defence, we would be no worse than we were at the start of this season, probably better as each player has more premiership experience.

Midfield looks a hell of a lot weaker, that cannot be denied. However, Butt would be a decent spine, and we'd have some quick player down the left from our youth team.

Up front, only Dyer is missing compared to this season. Therefore once more, we arent much worse in that department.

Now the option of up to three players come in.

Looking at the weak positions, I would say that there is a weakness in 1 or 2 striker positions (same as this season), the full back positions (same as this season), central midfield, and left wing.

Would therefore need to sign in my opinion a left winger (Ronaldinho would be appealling in this fantasy universe), a striker (Villa, Huntelaar or Klose), and a central midfielder (Gerrard). The players I'd choose are players who aside from their excellency, complement the existing players well, and have a superb fitness record. However, just like this season, we'd be a striker short, we'd be weak in the full back positions again, and have problems in depth in central midfield, although I'd feel that the squad is just as good as what we've got, and even better if we were lucky with injuries.

However, the option to retain £25m worth of playes would be more appealling to me. Staying on would be Dyer, Milner and N'Zogbia, with Solano reverting back to right back. I'd still get the additional world-class striker (one of Villa, Huntelaar or Klose) and I'd again plump for Gerrard in central midfield.

Therefore, the squad would be:

Harper

Krul

Srnicek

Bramble

Onyewu

Solano

Edgar

Huntington

Ramage

Babayaro

Gerrard

Milner

N'Zogbia

Kazenga LuaLua

Troisi

Patisson

Butt

O'Brien

Villa

Martins

Sibierski

Dyer

Carroll

Godsmark

Doninger

Which in my opinion is a much better squad than what we currently have.

Seriously though, Crumpy has a point about what does and doesn't get locked on here. :razz:

So Gemmill, it is clear that you disagree with selling most of our squad for three players. What about the notion of selling a portion of the squad for either 1 or 2 players? Would you, or would you not, and why/why not?

Guest Gemmill

Seriously though, Crumpy has a point about what does and doesn't get locked on here. :razz:

So Gemmill, it is clear that you disagree with selling most of our squad for three players. What about the notion of selling a portion of the squad for either 1 or 2 players? Would you, or would you not, and why/why not?

No I would not.  For reasons which are glaringly obvious to me but which you seem oblivious to.

to answer the original question, no never - this is not having a go but it's that kind of idea on a smaller scale that's left us with the imbalanced and underperforming squad we have now

of those players we should ship all of them who have proven themselves to be out of their depth or just plain rubbish(bramble, ramage, babayaro, luque, moore, carr, maybe pattison, maybe o'brien and keep the rest) for whatever we can get

then we need to look to use our usual summer 10-15m in a targetted fashion to fill the gaps we have with the quality of player we need, i.e. bare minimum a good LB/RB and hopefully a new long-term quality CB....all the kids you mentioned would then supplement the squad as and when needed rather than be relied upon as regulars

the other thing is that the 3 world class players you talk about for crazy money would almost certainly be from abroad and therefore an even bigger gamble as they'd have to adapt to a new game/culture AND lead a bunch of untried bairns

result = suicide

Guest Hodgson09

The only reasons to sell any player is because he is being replaced and is therefore surplus to requirements or to raise money so his better replacement can be purchased. Selling an entire first team for three players is really idiotic. Using Owen as an example selling him for 14 million or whatever price you said, you would want to buy someone better than him = scoring ability the same but without the injury problems and with extra height. That would = Drogba who would cost 30 million plus. That would be worth thinking about but he wouldn't come here.

I'm not sure why you would bother with this thread tbh do you like being slated?

You would sell players from our defence but wouldn't replace them sell two strikers and only bring in one, sell seven midfielders and bring in one, our best keeper without replacing him. What would you wish to achieve with this stellar team? instant relegation? We might score a couple a game but we would concede 11.

There is fantasy Taylor27 then there is plain stupidity! Can you guess which one your thread is?

Next time just say we have 84 million to spend who would you buy and who would you sell type thread, but it's been done to death already so how about something original for a change, you obviously have allot of time on your hands so i'll give you an assignment. Write a forum article on "The prevalence of soft tissue injuries in football players Types, Causes, Prevention, and Treatment" make sure you reference.

Guest Definitely Maybe

Therfore, gone would be (using very optimistic sales here:)

Owen - £14m

Shola - £6m

Dyer - £7m

Emre - £8m

Parker - £10m

Taylor - £5m

N'Zogbia - £10m

Duff - £7m

Milner - £7m

Carr - £2m

Given - £8m

Luque - £2m