Shearers coaching technique

Guest smoggeordie

The sooner he is back in the fold the better,

Couldn't disagree more. The club is ludicrously sentimental enough about him as it is.

The club is sentimental because he is one of the greatest legends of this football club

And without his goals through the years we'll be playing in the Champoionship tbh

The sooner he is back in the fold the better,

Couldn't disagree more. The club is ludicrously sentimental enough about him as it is.

The club is sentimental because he is one of the greatest legends of this football club

And without his goals through the years we'll be playing in the Champoionship tbh

I'm not denying his enormous input to the club, but naming a bar after him whilst he's still playing and building him a statue the year after he's packed in is ridiculously sentimental in my opinion. As is the view that 'the sooner he is back in the fold the better' - based on fuck all.

Guest Knightrider

The way I see it is he's nailed on to be our next manager anyway, so he may as well come in early to assist Roeder. I'd far rather have Alan Shearer speak to a potential hot striking prospect we are interested in but others are too, then Terry Mac or Roeder. There is no denying we miss his presence as well in some form or another, in my opinion anyway.

I felt a twinge in me undies watching that. The enthusiasm from his end was great to see and the way in which he, himself, can demonstrate drills will be absolutely invaluable if he does get into management/coaching. The bloke obviously has a lot to offer to strikers, in particular, but the brief moment where he was demonstrating how to defend one-one-one was impressive as well. Don't want to go overboard at all at what was essentially just a stunt, but it was enjoyable to watch and he looked like a little lad having a kickabout.

Guest Knightrider

I felt a twinge in me undies watching that. The enthusiasm from his end was great to see and the way in which he, himself, can demonstrate drills will be absolutely invaluable if he does get into management/coaching. The bloke obviously has a lot to offer to strikers, in particular, but the brief moment where he was demonstrating how to defend one-one-one was impressive as well. Don't want to go overboard at all at what was essentially just a stunt, but it was enjoyable to watch and he looked like a little lad having a kickabout.

What impressed me was his tips on chesting the ball under control when marked, that's clearly his own unique method because it is different to how I was taught from what I remember and what many coaching manuals teach it seems. In the clip he said something along the lines of doing it like that will make you a bigger obstacle for the defender to get around and make you more stiff to the force breathing down your neck, yet off camera I bet he said "you'll also win lots of free-kicks by doing that".

I've always wondered why many other strikers didn't copy his technique, because he was damn successful at either trapping the ball with his chest to gain control, or winning free-kicks, often both together.

Can't help but think that if Shearer becomes manager he'll undo all of the good work he did previously and risk his "legend" status.

I think he might get too deep into TV stuff anyway.

I certainly don't see how the bloke can be any worse than Souness or Roeder have been, individually speaking. Maybe that's big Fred's masterplan? Get the two shittest managers we can possibly find and lower the supporters' expectations suitably until the time is right for another KK-like assault on the Premiership with the Local Hero returning to right the wrongs of the previous regimes... perhaps Shep is saving up all of his coppers to give to Big Al, as well. If you think about it hard enough, it makes sense in an "ultimate conspiracy theory" kind of a way.

That's my new stance on Shepherd/Roeder, anyway, it will provide me with a much brighter outlook if I can convince myself to believe it.

Guest Knightrider

I reckon Shearer will get a massive warchest like, I think that will be a condition of him taking the job.

As for how he'll do as a manager, it is anyone's guess, tactically he should be OK, respect wise for certain, the board won't be able to undermine him either, and I think in the transfer market he's already proved himself a capable salesman. Can he spot talent? Who knows, and my big fear, does he have the people skills and personal skills? If he doesn't have the people/personal skills, he'll be no better than a Roeder or Souness. Where as you don't always need the others if you have the people skills and personal skills, Fergie isn't a great tactician nor was KK, while Fergie's eye for a talent is highly dubious too.

His staff will be very important too, who comes in alongside him, I imagine he'll want his own staff and I think he'll be man enough to put noses out of joint to get them.

One thing he will have in his favour is the automatic respect and good will of fans, and will know what makes us tick and what infuriates us, or he should do.

One bad period for Roeder and Shearer will get the call, whether to take over or assist, indeed there are stories that he turned down a plea to assist Roeder earlier on in the season when the SJP demo kicked off, around about that time.

Got to agree actually, after watching it. :)

Guest andynufc84

I wonder if he's completed all his coaching badges.

One thing is for sure he'll know what is required of him in the job. He's been through the Keegan era, Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness. I'd like to think he'll be able to take the strong points off Keegan and Robson and learn from the mistakes of others.

Obviously he'll bring his own style, which would be interesting what that would be.

I seen a clip at Half Time last night, I laughed when he was showing what to do with your arms. Didn't he say they'll think twice about running into them or something along those lines.

I was thinking that a few defenders have been on the wrong end of that technique!

I reckon Shearer will get a massive warchest like, I think that will be a condition of him taking the job.

As for how he'll do as a manager, it is anyone's guess, tactically he should be OK, respect wise for certain, the board won't be able to undermine him either, and I think in the transfer market he's already proved himself a capable salesman. Can he spot talent? Who knows, and my big fear, does he have the people skills and personal skills? If he doesn't have the people/personal skills, he'll be no better than a Roeder or Souness. Where as you don't always need the others if you have the people skills and personal skills, Fergie isn't a great tactician nor was KK, while Fergie's eye for a talent is highly dubious too.

His staff will be very important too, who comes in alongside him, I imagine he'll want his own staff and I think he'll be man enough to put noses out of joint to get them.

One thing he will have in his favour is the automatic respect and good will of fans, and will know what makes us tick and what infuriates us, or he should do.

One bad period for Roeder and Shearer will get the call, whether to take over or assist, indeed there are stories that he turned down a plea to assist Roeder earlier on in the season when the SJP demo kicked off, around about that time.

Fergie not a good tactician? Come on man, that's like saying Wenger doesn't have an eye for talent. It's Ferguson's most impressive attribute. Name me anyone else in the world who can put Fletcher and Scholes in the center of midfield and absolutely dominate a game? It's all in the movement. That's what makes Man Utd so fucking dangerous and good, it's all in the tactics that Ferguson sets out. He's a genius in this aspect, similar to Wenger in his eye for talent (and tactics as well - Wenger's a fucking genius).