Shearers coaching technique

Guest smoggeordie

The main problem I see for Shearer if he's our next manager is if he fails because of inexperience, chances are he won't get a 'second chance'. If he tried to start his managerial career elsewhere and actually 'earned' the job, that would please a whole lot more. Or if he wasn't just doing TV, but was actually traveling around the world and learning new methods (think Wenger and Japan, or Adams at Ajax). If he's going to be our next manager (which I'm sure he has an inkling of), he has to prepare himself in advance, and he's not doing that if he's on TV all the time.

I reckon Shearer will get a massive warchest like, I think that will be a condition of him taking the job.

As for how he'll do as a manager, it is anyone's guess, tactically he should be OK, respect wise for certain, the board won't be able to undermine him either, and I think in the transfer market he's already proved himself a capable salesman. Can he spot talent? Who knows, and my big fear, does he have the people skills and personal skills? If he doesn't have the people/personal skills, he'll be no better than a Roeder or Souness. Where as you don't always need the others if you have the people skills and personal skills, Fergie isn't a great tactician nor was KK, while Fergie's eye for a talent is highly dubious too.

His staff will be very important too, who comes in alongside him, I imagine he'll want his own staff and I think he'll be man enough to put noses out of joint to get them.

One thing he will have in his favour is the automatic respect and good will of fans, and will know what makes us tick and what infuriates us, or he should do.

One bad period for Roeder and Shearer will get the call, whether to take over or assist, indeed there are stories that he turned down a plea to assist Roeder earlier on in the season when the SJP demo kicked off, around about that time.

Fergie not a good tactician? Come on man, that's like saying Wenger doesn't have an eye for talent. It's Ferguson's most impressive attribute. Name me anyone else in the world who can put Fletcher and Scholes in the center of midfield and absolutely dominate a game? It's all in the movement. That's what makes Man Utd so f****** dangerous and good, it's all in the tactics that Ferguson sets out. He's a genius in this aspect, similar to Wenger in his eye for talent (and tactics as well - Wenger's a f****** genius).

Wenger does have a good eye for talent but alot of credit has to goto his scouting network.

Guest Ridzuan

Nothing to say about his coaching technique and to judge his coaching technique with Jose is a ridiculous thing to do I think.Anyway,nice to see Big Al kicking about again.He still looks like hes got the energy to play in a match.

Nothing to say about his coaching technique and to judge his coaching technique with Jose is a ridiculous thing to do I think.Anyway,nice to see Big Al kicking about again.He still looks like hes got the energy to play in a match.

I think NSG might have been joking.

I'll be VERY surprised if Shearer takes over whilst Freddie is still in the chair.

My understanding is he'll wait until we're taken over and consider any offer then.

On his backroom staff, I'm not ITK but would hazard a guess at:-

Bobby Lee

Gary Speed

Lee Clark

Tommy Craig back.

I would think he'll look at Harper (who would have retired by then) or someone like Tim Flowers as a goalkeeping coach.

Total guess on the staff though.

Guest elbee909

My understanding is he'll wait until we're taken over and consider any offer then.

Are you Alan Oliver in disguise? ;)

I don't get this 'prove hoimself at a lower level' balony

It's a completely different game outside the premiership. Any lower league players would be a fool not to bust a gut for a person of Shearer's stature in the game.

Brgin him to the Premier League and its a load of egos who believe the sun shines out of their own arse.

He'll get the job and do a decent enough job, in most probability he aint going to be a Mourinho, Wenger or Fergie, but then not many are

Guest Knightrider

I reckon Shearer will get a massive warchest like, I think that will be a condition of him taking the job.

As for how he'll do as a manager, it is anyone's guess, tactically he should be OK, respect wise for certain, the board won't be able to undermine him either, and I think in the transfer market he's already proved himself a capable salesman. Can he spot talent? Who knows, and my big fear, does he have the people skills and personal skills? If he doesn't have the people/personal skills, he'll be no better than a Roeder or Souness. Where as you don't always need the others if you have the people skills and personal skills, Fergie isn't a great tactician nor was KK, while Fergie's eye for a talent is highly dubious too.

His staff will be very important too, who comes in alongside him, I imagine he'll want his own staff and I think he'll be man enough to put noses out of joint to get them.

One thing he will have in his favour is the automatic respect and good will of fans, and will know what makes us tick and what infuriates us, or he should do.

One bad period for Roeder and Shearer will get the call, whether to take over or assist, indeed there are stories that he turned down a plea to assist Roeder earlier on in the season when the SJP demo kicked off, around about that time.

Fergie not a good tactician? Come on man, that's like saying Wenger doesn't have an eye for talent. It's Ferguson's most impressive attribute. Name me anyone else in the world who can put Fletcher and Scholes in the center of midfield and absolutely dominate a game? It's all in the movement. That's what makes Man Utd so fucking dangerous and good, it's all in the tactics that Ferguson sets out. He's a genius in this aspect, similar to Wenger in his eye for talent (and tactics as well - Wenger's a fucking genius).

Never said he wasn't capable, just said he isn't exactly a great tactician ala a Benitez or a Hitzfeld. For me Fergie's main talents are his many personal skills like man management, understanding of players and his ability to motivate and instil a great work-ethic and will to win into his charges, in an environment that fosters good football and attacking verve. Whenever there has been tactical questions asked of Fergie, namely in Europe, he has failed to answer them tellingly enough to outwit his foes. In '99 for example he tactically got it wrong in the CL final with Hitzfeld trumping him on that front, but he came through due to his team's  work-rate, never say die attitude and desire to win, plus an instinctive attacking verve.

Fergie isn't a great believer in tactics, he won't try and contain or play a game of cat and mouse, he sends his teams out to win, to play to his strengths and not with the opposition's in mind.

Nowt wrong with that BTW, it obviously works for him, but at times he will lose out tactically and that extra difference could prove costly and I would say why, despite having the team, he has only won one Champions League trophy despite, what, making the quarters at least, how many times now?

Wenger is tactically a notch or two above Fergie who when he puts his mind to it is as good a tactician as any, Arsenal got to the CL final thanks to tactically outsmarting the opposition in many of their games, but his stubborness at sticking to his guns costs him big time, or rather his football philosophies.

Fergie likes to win in style but not at the expense of winning at all costs, Wenger likes to win things his way, or no way, hence feilding a weakend side in the League Cup Final, which was very brave of him but costly at the same time.

The best tactician for me however is Benitez on a game to game basis, who regardless of the opposition and who he has available, always seems to come up trumps. However in a league campaign consistency in personel is key, not using different tactics for each game or team, which is why he hasn't quite managed to challenge for it... and perhaps why he may never.

League wise tactics aren't such a big issue, only for a handful of games against teams of similar stature or ability, in Cup competitions however, especially at the highest level, on game to game basis, tactics are often the difference.

There is no such thing as a complete manager though so where one has the upper hand in one area, he may be the weaker in another and the likes of Fergie, Benitez, Mourinho and Wenger are almost inseparable in that respect.

Wenger would be my choice though because his style fits more into my own thinking or rather my own taste, i.e. his brand of football.

Guest Knightrider

I don't get this 'prove hoimself at a lower level' balony

It's a completely different game outside the premiership. Any lower league players would be a fool not to bust a gut for a person of Shearer's stature in the game.

Brgin him to the Premier League and its a load of egos who believe the sun shines out of their own arse.

I'm now of this opinion too, or rather can see the pros over the cons. The way I look at it, all football clubs throw up the same problems, whether it be at lower level or at the top level, but if you can overcome those problems at the top, you're qualified to do it at any level, where as by doing it at lower level, doesn't make you qualified to do it at a higher level, that's why some players don't make the step up, despite proving that can score goals or defend at a lower level, where as your top player can play at any level, even lower ones.

I'd just prefer it if he earned his spurs away from NUFC first, as I don't think we should be the testing waters for anyone, or rather we can't afford to make a gamble like that.

Guest Knightrider

I watched a DVD the other day featuring a 25 year-old recent Toon record buy Shearer coaching some bairns for the FA or Macdonalds, can't remember, among other coaching bits from various other coaches such as Mick Wadsworth :lol: and it is pretty obvious Shearer has had a keen interest in that side of the game for a long long time and once again, he conducts himself well and seems a natural. Where as Wadsworth came over as teacher like and as a control-freak (constant stopping and starting, you're doing that wrong, do it like that etc).

Fascinating stuff.

I watched a DVD the other day featuring a 25 year-old recent Toon record buy Shearer coaching some bairns for the FA or Macdonalds, can't remember, among other coaching bits from various other coaches such as Mick Wadsworth :lol: and it is pretty obvious Shearer has had a keen interest in that side of the game for a long long time and once again, he conducts himself well and seems a natural. Where as Wadsworth came over as teacher like and as a control-freak (constant stopping and starting, you're doing that wrong, do it like that etc).

Fascinating stuff.

You really do need to get out more. :lol: