Owen

Guest geordie gent

Here's an extra dimension for you all to ponder.

It's the middle of April, we've just booked a UEFA cup final berth. Owen has returned to full training and although it would be a risk to bring him back, having Michael Owen in the UEFA cup final would be tremendous. Do you play him from the bench in the remaining league fixtures so he has some fitness for the final or do you stick to your guns of keeping him till next season?

Here's an extra dimension for you all to ponder.

It's the middle of April, we've just booked a UEFA cup final berth. Owen has returned to full training and although it would be a risk to bring him back, having Michael Owen in the UEFA cup final would be tremendous. Do you play him from the bench in the remaining league fixtures so he has some fitness for the final or do you stick to your guns of keeping him till next season?

F*** his fitness if weve got a serious chance to win the trophy. Club comes first, hell probably break his leg in pre season anyway, so play him if hes fit "enough" to reasonably play without a high risk of getting injured again.

also bear in mind that owen himself will have a strong say in things, if not the strongest - my guess is he'll be champing at the bit for games once he gets confidence in training

after all there's surely some england games he can declare himself fit for coming up between now and the start of next season, the returning hero to save mclaren and all that - never underestimate what this lad will do to get an england game...i certainly see pushing himself to play games for us as one of those things

If he's not completely fit, there's not much point in playing him. His game depends on sharpness. He's not the kind of technical player who can create things by sheer skill on the ball.

Thats a fear i have (always negative, yadda yadda) with Lil' Mikey: if he doesn't coem back as fast as he was before the injury (which was in turn slower than he was a few years before), i don't know if he is the type of player who can adapt his game to use other things. Like Shearer did when he slowed down and lost the burst of pace he had, and he used his power and strength to hold the ball up more.

i think playing him in one game of such high importance (assuming we make the final) would be a bad way to test his partnership with oba.

It's all hypothetical but were we to reach the final, even if he did get an injury, he'd have 3 months in which to get fit again for the new season. In games like that it's always a case of putting out your strongest, most experienced team and we saw what Owen is capable of with 7 goals in 10 games. If we did get that far I could see us playing tough opposition like Werder Bremen, Sevilla or Benfica and clinical finishing would be crucial because we're not good enough to create bucketloads of chances against sides like that. Owen is still one of the best finishers around and in situations like that you need someone who will take any chances that come their way.

In regards to Owen Fifa have confirmed they have made a "final offer" of £1m compensation. Havent got a link as its on teletext, page 403 I think. Just seen the thread  :D

On the BBC website now...1 million is FIFA's final offer.  If this had happened to Liverpool they would have paid his entire transfer fee, his wages for the next 5 years and given them a special dispensation for a place in the Champions League.