My hard drive has started clicking

Wullie

that happened to my old laptop a few years ago. thought the clicking noises were a bit odd, so turned the computer off and restarted it. it never came back on until i'd bought a new hard drive.

Aye, it started doing it the other day, I just closed all my programs and it stopped. Then today got a phone call off my mate who'd been using it telling me that it had clicked, shut down and now said "Operating System Not Found", which had me very worried all day.

Went into the BIOS, did nowt but look around, exited and it just fired up. Currently furiously backing up everything onto my external drive before it coughs and dies. :(

That's it fucked, mate, you could probably get a PC shop to retrieve everything on it, just depends if there's anything worth doing so.

I had one that did that, a Maxtor, was a fucking week old, 100gig.  No actual reason for it happening either, other than it did.

That's it f*****, mate, you could probably get a PC shop to retrieve everything on it, just depends if there's anything worth doing so.

I had one that did that, a Maxtor, was a f****** week old, 100gig.  No actual reason for it happening either, other than it did.

That happened to about 3 new ones of mine. I can't have any more than 1 hardrive in my computer at any one time. 180 gig one went first :(, and i lost the bloody receipt.

That's it fucked, mate, you could probably get a PC shop to retrieve everything on it, just depends if there's anything worth doing so.

I had one that did that, a Maxtor, was a fucking week old, 100gig.  No actual reason for it happening either, other than it did.

I was at panic stations for a few hours yesterday, but as I say, somehow I got it working and it's been fine since then. I'm not expecting it to last, but I've backed up most of the important stuff so far. :thup:

I had one that did that, a Maxtor, was a fucking week old, 100gig. No actual reason for it happening either, other than it did.

I was at panic stations for a few hours yesterday, but as I say, somehow I got it working and it's been fine since then. I'm not expecting it to last, but I've backed up most of the important stuff so far. :thup:

Aye, sort of read that bit after my post. Good you got it working, get everything off it.

When you say it's fine, is it still clicking? If not...

My start-up screen told me to "immediately back up the Maxtor (random code name) drive, a failure may be imminent." It's said that since the 31st December 2005 everytime I reboot/turn on the computer. Naturally, I did it all, got a new HDD and that, but thought, "I'll run this cunt into the ground", but it's a survivor...

I get a message on me Mac sometimes it reads:

Around you today many PC's have died.

Don't want to get into that debate, again, but it's the one thing Apple do benefit from, the lack of cheap and nasty parts. That said, if you fork out a bit more, you don't get these troubles. (Directed at no-one in this thread, just deluded Apple fans.)

But then, you can't upgrade/customly build a Mac, can you...? Procs and cons and all that.

Don't want to get into that debate, again, but it's the one thing Apple do benefit from, the lack of cheap and nasty parts.  That said, if you fork out a bit more, you don't get these troubles.  (Directed at no-one in this thread, just deluded Apple fans.)

But then, you can't upgrade/customly build a Mac, can you...?  Procs and cons and all that.

*Bluf congratulates himself on a well structured rebuttal as his monitor starts flickering* ^-^

Don't want to get into that debate, again, but it's the one thing Apple do benefit from, the lack of cheap and nasty parts.  That said, if you fork out a bit more, you don't get these troubles.  (Directed at no-one in this thread, just deluded Apple fans.)

But then, you can't upgrade/customly build a Mac, can you...?  Procs and cons and all that.

*Bluf congratulates himself on a well structured rebuttal as his monitor starts flickering* ^-^

:lol:

Good one.

Good one.

He has more time to think of good replies due to the superior nature of his machine  ;)

Good one.

He has more time to think of good replies due to the superior nature of his machine  ;)

Another good one. ;)