Owen to return March 31st?

sempuki

Owen talks up Roeder and aims for league return in March

Michael Walker

Wednesday February 28, 2007

The Guardian

Michael Owen, who is continuing his rehabilitation from injury and hopes to return for Newcastle United on March 31 against Manchester City, tried to give dejected Newcastle fans a boost yesterday after the club's defeat at Wigan Athletic on Sunday.

The 1-0 result left Newcastle 11th in the Premiership but the England striker said: "We have had a good season to be where we are with all of the injuries we have had. There is a good chance it can improve, too."

Owen was referring to the Uefa Cup. Newcastle have reached the last 16 where they face AZ Alkmaar, with the first leg at St James' next Thursday. If Owen were fit by the end of March and if Newcastle were to overcome Alkmaar he would be available for the quarter-final of a competition he won with Liverpool in 2001. But he would undoubtedly be happier to help Newcastle mount an effort to get back into Europe next season via their league position.

"This has been Glenn Roeder's first full season and he has had time to assess his squad. I would have thought you will see his stamp on the team next season," said Owen. "I have been impressed with a lot of the lads he already has in the squad but hopefully he will bring more players in the summer. It will be interesting because it will be down to his team, but I have to say in the year he has been in charge Glenn has done well given the circumstances."

The Mirror reckons April 7th v Arsenal will be his comeback date.

We play Sheffield United on the 7th not Arsenal

Sorry, it says April 9th. Must be the Easter weekend.

Yes, and that's the game I'm coming to Newcastle to watch. I would just love it if Owen would play some part in that  game (and if we won, of course :D)

Guest TampaToon

seems like every time newcastle fans get hit with a downer (loss, poor transfer window), there's an article about how well michael owen's recovery is going.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~988588,00.html

Owen Injury Comeback Latest

By Craig Hope

MICHAEL Owen has admitted that it will still be a little while before he is again putting balls past goalkeepers, but maintains his comeback bid is still on target.

Owen is still hopeful of playing for United before the season's end, but understandably refuses to announce any specific date he has targeted for a return to wearing the black and white stripes.

Speaking to nufc.co.uk at the launch of a Spaces for Sport project in Newcastle, the club's record signing said: "Everything is fine and on target at the minute.

"I am starting to run in straight lines and do some ball work.

"I am not smashing the ball past Shay Given or Stevie Harper just yet. I haven't started hitting the ball with my laces fully yet either.

"Side-footing and a little bit of laces at the moment and then we'll see how that goes."

The former Real Madrid star admits he is dreaming about playing in the UEFA Cup Final at Hampden Park in May, but says that United's medical team will be making sure he doesn't push himself too hard.

"The physios will make sure I don't get too far ahead of myself, but I'm still hopeful of playing some part this season and with any luck that will be in the UEFA Cup," added Owen.

"After this stage it will be seeing how much weight I can take and then the final step re-joining in with training, providing nothing goes wrong of course."

If you were an emgland player of owens standing you would be bursting to play the first game at the new wembley.

As much as i hate the fa for wasting so much money on the place, its a very historic occasion.

england have really really missed owen up front, they have been gumming their opponents like an 80 year old rabid granny since his injury!

eg the attack has been toofless since he got knackered