Orange Broadband

Belfast Boy

I am currently paying £19.99 a month for Tesco unlimited broadband, which up to now has been working fine. Over the last couple of weeks it has been getting more and more difficult to connect, it appears that they have too many customers for their server. I am thinking of switching to Orange for the same price, has anyone got any experience and good/bad stories about Orange. or can anyone reccomend a better broadband provider? I have a BT line and currenlty use a Belkin wireless router.

One of the things attracting me to the Orange deal is free landline calls around the world. Is this something I can get with any proivider?

I've heard Orange is a real hassle especially if you have a wireless internet connection.

It makes no difference if it's wireless or not, the wireless bit comes after the bit your service provider is responsible for. The only difference is that you have a wireless router or a normal router with a wire coming out of it, they both plug into the same hole in the wall.

This whole "wireless broadband" thing is marketing bollocks to make people think it's somehow special, it isn't. They just give you a wireless router instead of a normal one, the broadband is exactly the same, you could buy a wireless router and plug it in to a normal broadband connection.

Wireless routers are shite anyway, unless you have more than one computer and they're spread around the house or you have a laptop and wander around with it, then they're less than pointless. Most people have their computer in the same place all the time, if you're one of them get a wire and plug it in, you'll get a faster connection speed and you won't get disconnected if a few stray atoms get in between the computer and the router.

Wireless is shit, wires are the way forward.

I use NTL and have not had many problems with it, it actually has a good point or two which will not be wrote about on an open forum.

While we're on about this, does anybody use mobile internet access, something that you can connect to anywhere?  If so, is it any good and how much is it?

I've seen one advert for such a service but it was something like £45 a month, I'm not paying that.

I've got Telewest cable as well and i've had no problem since it was installed.

However i'm waiting to see how Virgin's takeover and their use of the oxymoron *Unlimited usage* and *Fair use policy* in their  ads will affect me.  :o

Cheers for all the ntl/telewest reccomendations, unfortunatley I am on BT out in the sticks with no cable, I cant even get Sky out here apparently which confuses the hell out of me!

I am curreently paying £20 a month and I have my own wireless router so I am basically looking for a fast reliable ISP at the cheapest price I can get.

Guest Lazlo

Yes, sorry i didn't address your question directly.

I've got friends who've had orange since it was wanadoo and their only real complaints were that sometimes the quoted speeds were not forthcoming.

Living remotely as you do you may suffer this as well, but because of the nature of the problem (distance from exchange)  no other provider will be any different.

Go for orange if it is cheaper, but the distance thing is probably why you are finding it hard to connect. find out before you subscribe for a year of intermittent connection

I am on freeserve, now orange, and have been since it was freeserve.

Its quite good actually, connections etc are fine, and the speed of 2mb is fast enough. I have been getting spam mail though for the last 6 months or so, throught my address being leaked somewhere despite being careful, and they won't let me make a new email address. So I'm not really happy at not being able to change my registration address without going through all the hassle of re-registering etc.

If they would let me do this, I would probably stay, but I've told them if they don't find a way to do it, then I will move on, and I probably will when I have found another provider that suits me, but at the moment am not sure who to use.

So to sum up, its quite good, but look after your address, as you can't change the root once you have signed up and anything at all that is typed before the @sounesssucks.fsnet.co.uk [for instance] gets through to you and you can't stop it or change it.

easier said than done Dave, I quite like Outlook, and lots of contacts etc have my main address now. A yahoo one is OK but its a different setup, and googlemail is terrible.

I know what you are saying because I've considered and looked at this, but not sure what to do yet. It would save a lot of hassle, especially when I'm getting good connections etc.

You should be able to set up Yahoo (for example) to work within Outlook. All you'd have to do is a burst email to all of your contacts telling them of the change, it wouldn't take 2mins.

Actually it doesn't appear you can with Yahoo, but you defo should be able to with Hotmail.

I'd be interested in that, how do you do that.......if you can tell me quickly to save me looking ?

Actually it doesn't appear you can with Yahoo, but you defo should be able to with Hotmail.

I'd be interested in that, how do you do that.......if you can tell me quickly to save me looking ?

You can definitely do it with gmail.

click on "settings" (top right of your inbox screen)

click on "forwarding and pop"

choose your preferred option (ie all mail or just mail received from now on.)

choose what you want it to do with the messages once you've downloaded them - you may as well have it keep them with however many gig of space it is that they give you.

click on "configuration instructions" and it talks you through the rest - easy.

done.

if you need an invite, give me a shout.

You can definitely do it with gmail.

click on "settings" (top right of your inbox screen)

click on "forwarding and pop"

choose your preferred option (ie all mail or just mail received from now on.)

choose what you want it to do with the messages once you've downloaded them - you may as well have it keep them with however many gig of space it is that they give you.

click on "configuration instructions" and it talks you through the rest - easy.

done.

if you need an invite, give me a shout.

I've got a gmail indie, ta. I'll have a go, its the format of googlemail that I don't like.

just spent a few minutes doing this....I will need to disable my old one, as there is a clash of passwords or something, is it somethign to do with still using it for dial up, it is still looking for the old address even though I have disabled it and won't "read" the google address.

Other than that, this seems to be just the job, and if the new email address gets out and about you can easily change it again, I'll have to look at it tomorrow now though.

Its quite good actually, connections etc are fine, and the speed of 2mb is fast enough. I have been getting spam mail though for the last 6 months or so, throught my address being leaked somewhere despite being careful, and they won't let me make a new email address. So I'm not really happy at not being able to change my registration address without going through all the hassle of re-registering etc.

If they would let me do this, I would probably stay, but I've told them if they don't find a way to do it, then I will move on, and I probably will when I have found another provider that suits me, but at the moment am not sure who to use.

So to sum up, its quite good, but look after your address, as you can't change the root once you have signed up and anything at all that is typed before the @sounesssucks.fsnet.co.uk [for instance] gets through to you and you can't stop it or change it.

Beermonster, have you tried a spam filter?

Beermonster, have you tried a spam filter?

mailwasher ? Aye. I use that, and bounce them, but I just want to stop getting all this rubbish anyway.

I've configured this today to direct to outlook express, as i wanted.

Disabled my old email address, and now just use it to connect to the internet.

It seems to work properly, a lot of my contacts have replied, more to come but it seems spot on. The best thing is that if someone gets this google address it is easily changed.

I would recommend this to anyone.

Thanks to Dave and indigo. Spot on lads.