Wish you were there?

Guest alijmitchell

Guest alijmitchell

Just been watching some old Newcastle footage on youtube, and came across the champions league game against inter at the san siro. Made me think that even though we didn't win, i would have given anything to be there that night.

Having said that, I don't think i'll match the feeling of seeing Rob Lee score that header against Chelsea in the 2000 fa cup semi final at Wembley - absolute pandemonium.

Just wondering what everyone else's favourite Newcastle game is that they've been present at, and which game they would have given anything to be at?

Guest super_shay1

I watch the NUFC official history dvd quite often and I would have loved to have been at the game v barcelona (SJP 3-2) everytime i watch it i have a big smile on me face like  ;D and the game v feyenoord (3-2) was canny good.

I agree with ya too about the game in the san siro, would have loved to been there n all.

Lucky enough to be at the Barca game

Can remember being physically unable to sit down whilst watching the 2nd half of the Feyenoord match in front room at home.

Best game i've been to is either Barca or Leicester 7-1 (champions going up in style, was one massive party).

Guest alijmitchell

Watched the feyenoord match in the pub...I remember i just froze as the goal went in, then about 5 or 6 people steamrollering me to the ground like a pile on top. Beer everywhere, absolute chaos!

Guest Darth Toon

I was at the CL game in the San Siro - magic night, although would have been even better if we could have beaten them! The whole experience was fantastic - geordies completely took over Milan, singing in our hundreds in the square in front of the Duomo etc. - brilliant stuff!

Portsmouth at home last year was by far the best of my (limited) number of games attended. Souness was gone, we played well, won the game comfortably and Shearer got the record. The reception after his goal will live with me forever, it was fucking phenomenal.

Wish I had been at the 5-0 against Man Utd, perfect.

Guest alijmitchell

heheh the 5 - 0 was something else...watched that at a friends house as he was the only one i knew who had sky, there was a barbeque and then the match. We completely stuffed them as well. Brilliant.

Guest alijmitchell

I was at the CL game in the San Siro - magic night, although would have been even better if we could have beaten them! The whole experience was fantastic - geordies completely took over Milan, singing in our hundreds in the square in front of the Duomo etc. - brilliant stuff!

I remember selling the Edition of The Mag with the San Siro pictures in it, it just looked awesome...there is one picture of all the toon fans, loads of ticker tape that lloked amazing.

I hope this champions league video was one of mine >:( I decided to make them when i noticed there wasn't any footage dedicated to our little adventure, now there's someboy else offering competition and stealing my viewers :'( Same with the Martins ones >:(

Anyway, yeah i would of loved to have been at the San Siro that night, also the 1-0 against sunderland at the stadium of shite a few years back would have been magic. I remember seeing on the season review Bobby Robson giving an interview after the game with the toon following in the background all singing, looked quality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/sport/clubs/newcastle_united/champions_league/images/asprilla_metz_150.jpg

Newcastle United 2 Metz 0

Tie: UEFA Cup 3rd Round 2nd leg

Date: Tuesday 3 December 1996

Venue: St James' Park

The first leg had finished 1-1, and with the game at St. James' Park still at 0-0, with 10 minutes to go, tensions were running high.

Then Asprilla woke up. A close range header put Newcastle 1-0 up after 80 minutes and just two minutes had elapsed when Asprilla got his second.

Holding off one defender, he then ran past the last man as if he was not there, before lifting the ball over the onrushing keeper. It was slick, and it was cool. Poetry in motion.

And the celebrations summed up the mood. Running to the corner flag, Asprilla removed his shirt and hoisted it up on the corner flag in a victorious salute. The action got him booked, and minutes later Asprilla was stretchered off injured.

Can remember being physically unable to sit down whilst watching the 2nd half of the Feyenoord match in front room at home.

:lol: I know what you mean mate. That's a really good sum-up actually, i've been like that on a couple of occassions. I was fortunate enough not to have the chance to watch the Feyenoord games. :lol: Must have been rotten tbh.

Best one i've been to... Newcastle 3-1 Velerenga. That's the truth, and i think it summarises my selection of Newcastle games that i've been to.

Wasn't really old enough to properly understand the 5-0 and the Barcelona win. And because i've been to such a tiny amount of games, it's difficult to pick one out. In terms of Europe, i'd say the Juventus home one where Griffin scored. Domestic, not really sure. I'd love to go to a Sunderland game.

Fave toon games ive been to would be the

3 wins at the Stadium of Light

Leeds (a) 2001/02 4-3 that put us top of the league when solano scored in the last minte

Derby,(a)  2001/02 also.  2-0 down with 20mins to go and won 3-2 in stoppage time, lualua's first.

PSV (a) 1-1  My first euro away game.  Came back from 1-0 down, great atmosphere, great result.

Heerenveen (a) 2-1.  Forgettable for most, but again it was a eurpean away game, i was in the front row by the goal where shearer and bowyer scored.

Liverpool (a) 2002/03 2-2 2-0 down with 10 mins to go then robert and bellamy came on and changed the game.  Speed pulled one back and shearer equalised in stoppage time

I wish i went to Feyernord of course, and any other CL away game (just started going away in europe 1 year later).  Also Arsenal away 3-1 and Manu 5-0.  At the time of 5-0 i was going to a fair few games, but was only 7 and sharing a ticket with another kid.  This was a game i didnt get.

Guest alijmitchell

Fave toon games ive been to would be the

3 wins at the Stadium of Light

Leeds (a) 2001/02 4-3 that put us top of the league when solano scored in the last minte

Derby,(a)  2001/02 also.  2-0 down with 20mins to go and won 3-2 in stoppage time, lualua's first.

PSV (a) 1-1  My first euro away game.  Came back from 1-0 down, great atmosphere, great result.

Heerenveen (a) 2-1.  Forgettable for most, but again it was a eurpean away game, i was in the front row by the goal where shearer and bowyer scored.

Liverpool (a) 2002/03 2-2 2-0 down with 10 mins to go then robert and bellamy came on and changed the game.  Speed pulled one back and shearer equalised in stoppage time

I wish i went to Feyernord of course, and any other CL away game (just started going away in europe 1 year later).  Also Arsenal away 3-1 and Manu 5-0.  At the time of 5-0 i was going to a fair few games, but was only 7 and sharing a ticket with another kid.  This was a game i didnt get.

Was at the Stadium of S**** when we beat them one nil, dabizas getting a header, amazing...i travelled with some uys from The Mag, and  remember the true-faith monkey masks. great day, don't remember that much of the football strangely enough, just the bus there and being kept behind in the ground for ages.

The Juventus game was mint like, atmosphere was absolutely class.

Wish i'd been at the 5-0, was amazing enough in the pub never mind in the ground. Barcelona 3-2, fuck me was so close to missing that. Got caught in traffic and had to literally run to the ground to make sure we got there on time, was absolutely fucked but well worth the run!

Was late for a game a few years back and had to run all the way up Level 7, almost died. :lol:

Bestest game(s) i've been to, ever -

Man Utd 5-0

Barca 3-2

Sheff Wed 8-0

Leicester 7-1.

Game i'd have really loved to been to - Arsenal 1-0 (1952) - cup.

That was probably the game I've enjoyed the most, the whole ground was singing for Andy Cole while bouncing up and down for what seemed like hours.

The Wembley Semi was good, I went ape shit when Rob Lee scored and ended up right at the front, I have no idea how I cleared the seats without touching any.

Man Utd 5-0

Barca 3-2

Sheff Wed 8-0

Leicester 7-1.

That was probably the game I've enjoyed the most, the whole ground was singing for Andy Cole while bouncing up and down for what seemed like hours.

The Wembley Semi was good, I went ape shit when Rob Lee scored and ended up right at the front, I have no idea how I cleared the seats without touching any.

After the Leicester game, we were stood singing on stools, tables, all sorts, in the 3 Bulls for long, lomgh after they stopped serving ale and turned the lights off.

Man Utd 5-0

Barca 3-2

Sheff Wed 8-0

Leicester 7-1.

The Wembley Semi was good, I went ape s*** when Rob Lee scored and ended up right at the front, I have no idea how I cleared the seats without touching any.

After the Leicester game, we were stood singing on stools, tables, all sorts, in the 3 Bulls for long, lomgh after they stopped serving ale and turned the lights off.

Class O0

Would have loved to have been there for the 8-0 Sheff Wednesday game. Bobby's first home match, perfect start, new era and all that. Utter domination (as it was I remember vividly watching Teletext - for 90 minutes, which was worth it in the end). Of course the Feyenoord, Barca etc games I would have loved to have been there for as well, but not the Inter game where Bellamy was sent off almost straight away and I think Shearer got a ban for an elbow on someone.

That semi-final against Sheffield Utd too in 98, very tense game and I remember my reaction when the final whistle went.

5-0 Man Utd too, that was my first ever pub match as it were, I was only 9 and we didn't have Sky at home but I realised the importance of it so my dad took me to our local and I remember vividly watching it on this small screen in the corner of the pub, my dad drinking Guinness and the smell of smoke, salted peanuts and old, dry, wooden pub furniture in the air. Loved it. Remember going back to our house straight after and telling my uninterested mum all about it in a terribly excited fashion.

I remember that 2-0 Metz game someone mentioned too, was very young back then but I realised it's importance all the same. Thought we'd go on and win the UEFA Cup and I think I cried when we got knocked out (again, was only 9/10).

Best Newcastle game I've been at was either my first (I think it was at Selhurst Park in 97/98, against Crystal Palace, they scored first but Tomasson I think it was equalised and Ketsbaia got the winner - I vividly remember the chants of "Ketsbaia my lord, Kets-baia" to the tune of Kumbaya at the end) or the 6-2 trashing of Everton in 2002 at SJP. Beautiful March (I think) sunlight, incredible atmosphere, stunning turnaround (from them more than matching us and deserving to be more than drawing 2-2 at half-time) and even O'Brien managed to score one. Awesome game.

derby(a) 2-1 win promotion season

couldn't go due to fluid on the knee,my mates had a cracking day out,the stories still come out and i've been lucky in that in all the games we've went to as a group,this is the only one i missed.