Composite Video Feed

TêteDeMaure

Just got a new tv, it's got quite a bit of dead pixels. Only they aren't dead, just when my sky and xbox are plugged in.

Just read a review for the tv, and it says that his picture was poor until he found out he needed a composite video feed.

What on earth does that mean? How do i go about it?

EDIT - Fixed the dead pixels, what is a composite cable?

It will be component, NOT composite. It's basically a set of leads that break the video signal down into it's core colours, giving a far greater picture than Scart etc. Is it for an Xbox 360? Not sure you can get component leads for the original Xbox.

PPS - composite is something seperate and shit, ignore that completely and don't get mixed up. You are looking for component leads, one other thing to remember is that they carry video only, so you'd need an extra cable for audio into your TV. This is unlike Scart, which carries the lot in one cable.

Like I said, you're stuck with Scart for Sky, i'm afraid.

Component leads for 360 are widely available, have a look on Play etc. Don't forget you'll need some audio leads as well though, if they don't all come in the same package.

Your 360 should look fantastic, make sure you've set the resolution correctly in the 360 display settings. You want to put it as high as possible before it stops working.

Your 360 should look fantastic, make sure you've set the resolution correctly in the 360 display settings. You want to put it as high as possible before it stops working.

How do i go about that one?

P.S. There is a slot for S-Video in both the tv and my sky+ box, what would happen if i got a cable for that?

Standard definition looks crap on high definition screens, it's not something you can avoid i'm afraid. This is because your TV has to effectively guess and fill in the extra lines (that make up the deficit between HD and SD) itself. Some are better at this than others, but it always looks pants.

S-Video is slightly better than Scart IIRC, but not worth the hassle of trying it. Make sure in your Sky box settings you have the video set to 'RGB'.

On your 360, go into settings (far right), then video settings, resolution (I think) and try the res that fits the one your telly does. This should be in the specs of your TV manual, and will be like 1280x768 or something.

Also, make sure your Sky is plugged into the FIRST Scart socket (AV/1 or something like that) if it has more than one; there's a good chance only that one is RGB (best Scart quality) enabled.

Alex, i hadn't finished. :p

However, thank you very much Dave, and G. Very much appreciated.

Much better. ;)

So, can it be verified, that i can't buy a component cable splitter thingy, to put on the sky+ box?

If so, what's everyone elses pictures like, and do you get used to it being slightly fuzzy and a tadge orange?

hmm either you're over emphasising the problem, you've got something faulty, your tele is 100000 inches wide or maybe its been setup wrong somehow. Not that this is any help!

Plus i dont get how you could have your Xbox set up as HD (theres a switch on the wire that goes from xbox to tv, and it needs to be setup in your xbox settings) and not see the difference. I've assumed the TV is HD ready mind you.