Disillusioned with football

ElDiablo

Apart from the Crooks bit, the title of this thread seems to be the right place to put this.

This has been c&p around quite a few forums and a lot of it we've heard before lots of times but it's still worth a read IMO. If theres a better thread for this then whack it in there. The good thing about this IMO is its from a normal everyday fan and not some reporter:

Can't be arsed getting into any in depth discussion so if anyone wants to disagree, thats up to them, its just my opinion but one thing I will tell you is if we stay up, if we go down, if we go down and never come up again or if we ever back into The Premiership, I couldn't really give a **** at this moment in time.

I have spent this season watching the game that my old man introduced me to around 1974 and the game which most of my life has revolved around since then and I have realised that I don't even particularly like it anymore. I can't remember the last time I left a game involving Leeds and was bouncing with happiness and got back to the pub and everyone was in a top mood - even after one of our rare wins. I can't remember the last time I sat in the ground and had a laugh with my mates without worrying about upsetting someone or other. I can't remember the last time I went to an away game and wasn't treated like someone on the run from MI5. I can't remember the last time I watched a game on Sky and thought "wow, what a game" and I certainly can't remember the last time I saw any of the England "superstars" who earn more in a month than a lot of us will earn in 10/15 years pull on that England jersey and do us proud (well, I think it might have been 5-1 Germany in 2001 but might be wrong) and I can't remember I saw a game when I didn't think "****ing cheating, soft ****" every 2 minutes when a player went over like he'd been shot by a Japanese sniper.

Everyone is banging on about a protest or about carrying on at the ground but I have seen the deterioration of the game we all knew and loved to the point of it having no resemblance at all to what it was so why the **** should I go jumping up and down screaming when from the chairman down through the manager down to the players right down to the stewards/bar staff, nobody gives a **** about us?

Money, money and more money, nothing else matters. **** the lower half of the Premiership, **** the Championship and certainly **** the other 2 divisions which I don't even know their name anymore - how can Division 3 be Division 1? It's all about qualifying for the Champions League for the top 5 teams and it's all about television money for the also rans and paying obscene wages to obscene players for everyone. Ask a scum fan about the FA Cup and he'd say he would want to win it every year, ask a scum director and he'd say it would be nice as long as it didn't detract from the Champions League.

The next TV deal is so ****ing obscene it is unreal. If we want England to compete then why the **** are we making 20 clubs so ****ing rich and so reliant on foreigners and letting the rest of the country go to the wall? Why the **** don't the Government get involved and stop this? They're quick enough to jump in and stop companies like BT/British Gas or the supermarkets or the brewers having too much of a stranglehold so why the **** do they let 5/6 football clubs dictate what happens to the other 86 or so? There should be a salary cap per club, there should be some kind of system in place to ENSURE the best young players have the chance to play for the smaller clubs and not simply snapped up, stuck to rot in the reserves for 5 years and then cast aside cos they didn't make the grade just so some other club didn't have the opportunity of having them.

Most players in the top 2 or 3 leagues now can actually retire when they finish playing football - ****ing RETIRE! These are players that might not have ever played in the top flight, never played in Europe and sure as Hell never played for their country yet they can ****ing retire - players like Hunter, Giles, Madeley, Clarke, Jimmy Case, Ian Callaghan, Peter Osgood, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington, Tony Currie, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Moore etc etc etc - dozens of genuine world class players who finished the game and then had to start selling insurance, running a pub or opening ****ing shops in their home towns just to get by must sit and shake their heads in disgust everytime they hear of another crazy transfer deal or another story in the press about someone wanting £125k a WEEK or they're off - ****ers like Lee Hendrie earning a million plus a year!!! It makes me want to ****ing vomit.

Just watched the League Cup Final and yeah, not a bad game but come on, who the **** can relate to any of them? Relate to them? I can't even pronounce half their ****ing names. Imagine this lot going into a pub in London tonight and sharing the win with the fans - the fans are kept as far from the players as possible - players are untouchable and the fans are lepers - you'll never ever see players sitting chatting to fans in pubs now like they used to - I've even heard of players walking out of a place if a fan dares walk up and ask for a pic or an autograph. I also know for a fact that Stephen Gerrard went to a kids event at Crewe (PAID for by the boot manufacturers) and he didn't sign a single autograph or have a single picture with any of the kids afterwards, in out like the ****ing SAS - I know that cos I was in a meeting when a senior official from Crewe told us about it and how nobody could even get close to Gerrard apart from his entourage - at a ****ing KIDS football "clinic".

Sorry for the rant of all rants but I am sick and tired of people on here slagging down fans for not going anymore or for accepting Bates/Wise or whatever shafting us - football has been shafting fans for ****ing years and maybe lads like me aren't just sitting back and accepting it, maybe lads like me are just at the point when we just do not give a **** anymore.

Bought 4 tickets for 4 gigs in the next 2 weeks or so and have spent less than £30 on all 4 - why the **** did we allow football to become so expensive? Fans made their bed, now its too late to start ****ing moaning about it.

Its become boring & predictable, too many foreginers & too much money, plastic fans, all seater stadiums etc!

Guest Gemmill

Aye, it's a quality rant.  There was a lot of stuff similar to that on the SMB a couple of years back, and it's all fair comment.  It's just easier to ignore when things are going ok for your club and football is being good (relatively) to you.  He's right though - hard to have a go at any fans that have grown disillusioned with the game and stopped going.  The way some of these players carry on is bad enough when your team is doing well, but imagine if you were in Leeds' position, watching the way some of the so-called superstars of the game carry on.  You'd be ready to swing for them.

Guest Brazilianbob

Apart from the Crooks bit, the title of this thread seems to be the right place to put this.

This has been c&p around quite a few forums and a lot of it we've heard before lots of times but it's still worth a read IMO. If theres a better thread for this then whack it in there. The good thing about this IMO is its from a normal everyday fan and not some reporter:

Can't be arsed getting into any in depth discussion so if anyone wants to disagree, thats up to them, its just my opinion but one thing I will tell you is if we stay up, if we go down, if we go down and never come up again or if we ever back into The Premiership, I couldn't really give a **** at this moment in time.

I have spent this season watching the game that my old man introduced me to around 1974 and the game which most of my life has revolved around since then and I have realised that I don't even particularly like it anymore. I can't remember the last time I left a game involving Leeds and was bouncing with happiness and got back to the pub and everyone was in a top mood - even after one of our rare wins. I can't remember the last time I sat in the ground and had a laugh with my mates without worrying about upsetting someone or other. I can't remember the last time I went to an away game and wasn't treated like someone on the run from MI5. I can't remember the last time I watched a game on Sky and thought "wow, what a game" and I certainly can't remember the last time I saw any of the England "superstars" who earn more in a month than a lot of us will earn in 10/15 years pull on that England jersey and do us proud (well, I think it might have been 5-1 Germany in 2001 but might be wrong) and I can't remember I saw a game when I didn't think "****ing cheating, soft ****" every 2 minutes when a player went over like he'd been shot by a Japanese sniper.

Everyone is banging on about a protest or about carrying on at the ground but I have seen the deterioration of the game we all knew and loved to the point of it having no resemblance at all to what it was so why the **** should I go jumping up and down screaming when from the chairman down through the manager down to the players right down to the stewards/bar staff, nobody gives a **** about us?

Money, money and more money, nothing else matters. **** the lower half of the Premiership, **** the Championship and certainly **** the other 2 divisions which I don't even know their name anymore - how can Division 3 be Division 1? It's all about qualifying for the Champions League for the top 5 teams and it's all about television money for the also rans and paying obscene wages to obscene players for everyone. Ask a scum fan about the FA Cup and he'd say he would want to win it every year, ask a scum director and he'd say it would be nice as long as it didn't detract from the Champions League.

The next TV deal is so ****ing obscene it is unreal. If we want England to compete then why the **** are we making 20 clubs so ****ing rich and so reliant on foreigners and letting the rest of the country go to the wall? Why the **** don't the Government get involved and stop this? They're quick enough to jump in and stop companies like BT/British Gas or the supermarkets or the brewers having too much of a stranglehold so why the **** do they let 5/6 football clubs dictate what happens to the other 86 or so? There should be a salary cap per club, there should be some kind of system in place to ENSURE the best young players have the chance to play for the smaller clubs and not simply snapped up, stuck to rot in the reserves for 5 years and then cast aside cos they didn't make the grade just so some other club didn't have the opportunity of having them.

Most players in the top 2 or 3 leagues now can actually retire when they finish playing football - ****ing RETIRE! These are players that might not have ever played in the top flight, never played in Europe and sure as Hell never played for their country yet they can ****ing retire - players like Hunter, Giles, Madeley, Clarke, Jimmy Case, Ian Callaghan, Peter Osgood, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington, Tony Currie, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Moore etc etc etc - dozens of genuine world class players who finished the game and then had to start selling insurance, running a pub or opening ****ing shops in their home towns just to get by must sit and shake their heads in disgust everytime they hear of another crazy transfer deal or another story in the press about someone wanting £125k a WEEK or they're off - ****ers like Lee Hendrie earning a million plus a year!!! It makes me want to ****ing vomit.

Just watched the League Cup Final and yeah, not a bad game but come on, who the **** can relate to any of them? Relate to them? I can't even pronounce half their ****ing names. Imagine this lot going into a pub in London tonight and sharing the win with the fans - the fans are kept as far from the players as possible - players are untouchable and the fans are lepers - you'll never ever see players sitting chatting to fans in pubs now like they used to - I've even heard of players walking out of a place if a fan dares walk up and ask for a pic or an autograph. I also know for a fact that Stephen Gerrard went to a kids event at Crewe (PAID for by the boot manufacturers) and he didn't sign a single autograph or have a single picture with any of the kids afterwards, in out like the ****ing SAS - I know that cos I was in a meeting when a senior official from Crewe told us about it and how nobody could even get close to Gerrard apart from his entourage - at a ****ing KIDS football "clinic".

Sorry for the rant of all rants but I am sick and tired of people on here slagging down fans for not going anymore or for accepting Bates/Wise or whatever shafting us - football has been shafting fans for ****ing years and maybe lads like me aren't just sitting back and accepting it, maybe lads like me are just at the point when we just do not give a **** anymore.

Bought 4 tickets for 4 gigs in the next 2 weeks or so and have spent less than £30 on all 4 - why the **** did we allow football to become so expensive? Fans made their bed, now its too late to start ****ing moaning about it.

Its become boring & predictable, too many foreginers & too much money, plastic fans, all seater stadiums etc!

I agree with all of it, and in my view what has compounded the problems in the game is the introduction of agents.  They will screw the game into the ground eventually, and when there is nothing left for them, they will move on to the next fatted calf.

Guest andynufc84

Good rant, agree with a lot of it

But

He wouldn't have been whinging on about money when Leeds were spending it like mad and qualifying for the champs League. At that time would he have been bothered about League clubs when they were spending £18 mill on Rio and the rest? Would he f*ck

Lets face it, he is p*ssed off at the plight of Leeds Utd

I get disillusioned watching Dundee United but that's only because they've gone from being one of the best teams in Europe to being total sh!te, relegation candidates almost every year for 15 years.  I always moan about "cant be arsed" when we're losing but a couple of victories gets me excited again.  That's just the nature of football - you've got to suffer the bad times to fully appreciate the good times.

The players having zero in common with the 'lepers' hits the nail fairly and squarely on the head.

When useless cunts like Dyer, Parker, Bramble etc. can walk away from football with the wealth a decent win on a rollover lottery wont get you anywhere near then it isn't difficult to see why the game is fucked and every ground outside the top4 is now showing more and more empty seats.

Nah, it's not me, it's some bloke off a Leeds forum.

I'm currently trying to find the forum and give it some support.

Aah, I was thinking - didn't realise you were a Leeds fan. But you're not.

In relation to the point about Gerrard not doing any signings/photographs and the fans being "lepers", I've heard a few stories from lasses I know who work in the executive sections of SJP about players who do their absolute utmost to avoid any interaction at all with the supporters.

For example, my cousin works in one of the most luxurious bits and says that Kluivert used to have a member of staff tell all the waiting kiddies that he'd be leaving out of a certain exit at a certain time and then fuck off early and in a completely different direction, leaving the lasses/lads up in the suites to get abuse for giving false information, simply to avoid 15 minutes or so of interacting with the people who pay his wages. Fair enough that the lad wants a fairly peaceful life, but he's at SJP for fuck's sake and is obviously injured (otherwise he'd be on the pitch), so what the fuck else is he up to?

Hardly a shocking revelation by today's standards, but it just seems to be the way things are going. It's amazing how much things can change in two generations, because my Grandda was always going on about Toon players riding their bikes to the match and drinking in the local boozers with the fans. It does take the piss, but the powers-that-be know that for a lot of us football is an integral part of our lives so we're hardly going to cut all ties with the club we've been indoctrinated with.

It's hard to blame the players these days for being cunts, an' all. I'm not quite sure how I would have handled being a millionaire by the time I was out of my teens, but I probably wouldn't be the delightful chap that I am these days :lol:

Guest Knightrider

To be honest, if I was rich and famous I wouldn't give the riff-raff the steam off my shite either. The sad cunts should find a better hobby than pestering people for an autograph or the sweat off their balls, freaks all of them. Kids fair enough but half the people chasing an autograph and to get touchy feely with a celeb/footballer are adults, unshaved obese adults who foi, to any footballer these people are scary. If we stopped treating them like gods, we wouldn't have any problems. They are just people who happen to play for our club, most of them are cocks who I wouldn't give the time of day to away from the match anyway, I mean who wants to talk to a footballer anyway? Like talking to wood I imagine.

As for the rant, boo hoo. Like someone said, he just pissed off because his team are shit and if they were doing well, he wouldn't be so pissed off. Good on him for sticking to his convictions mind, but he'll be back when his team do well.

As with Andy, I don't think he'd be quite as annoyed with all the money in the game if his own team was still spending it.

The major compensation about football in this country now is that the quality of the product, the skill and the entertainment has never been higher. I've seen some great football over the last few seasons. As far as I'm concerned, we were fed dross for years and I've no wish to go back to the so-called good old days.

I've been watching football since the late 60's, incidentally.

To be honest, if I was rich and famous I wouldn't give the riff-raff the steam off my s**** either. The sad cunts should find a better hobby than pestering people for an autograph or the sweat off their balls, freaks all of them. Kids fair enough but half the people chasing an autograph and to get touchy feely with a celeb/footballer are adults, unshaved obese adults who foi, to any footballer these people are scary. If we stopped treating them like gods, we wouldn't have any problems. They are just people who happen to play for our club, most of them are cocks who I wouldn't give the time of day to away from the match anyway, I mean who wants to talk to a footballer anyway? Like talking to wood I imagine.

Those looking for the odd autograph are harmless enough, its those that take their fixation so far as to sit at home spending hours typing out dossiers etc that are worth the watching....  ;)

Guest Knightrider

To be honest, if I was rich and famous I wouldn't give the riff-raff the steam off my s**** either. The sad cunts should find a better hobby than pestering people for an autograph or the sweat off their balls, freaks all of them. Kids fair enough but half the people chasing an autograph and to get touchy feely with a celeb/footballer are adults, unshaved obese adults who foi, to any footballer these people are scary. If we stopped treating them like gods, we wouldn't have any problems. They are just people who happen to play for our club, most of them are cocks who I wouldn't give the time of day to away from the match anyway, I mean who wants to talk to a footballer anyway? Like talking to wood I imagine.

Those looking for the odd autograph are harmless enough, its those that take their fixation so far as to sit at home spending hours typing out dossiers etc that are worth the watching....  ;)

And those that set up fake websites... ;)

Guest Knightrider

As with Andy, I don't think he'd be quite as annoyed with all the money in the game if his own team was still spending it.

The major compensation about football in this country now is that the quality of the product, the skill and the entertainment has never been higher. I've seen some great football over the last few seasons. As far as I'm concerned, we were fed dross for years and I've no wish to go back to the so-called good old days.

I've been watching football since the late 60's, incidentally.

I think it all stems from saturation, as footy fans we gorge ourselves silly on this saturation and need to give ourselves a rest from our 24-7 exposure to it, do that and the love comes back. I also recommend getting along to a Grassroots game or a non-league game.

I don't get to every Toon game these days, due to personal choice I might add and not due to disillusion, and you miss it, the games, the banter, even the booing and the idiots behind or infront of you. I used to never miss a game whether it be a midweek cup game or one on the telly, conference games or Spanish games, and it started to bore me, disillusion me, today I limit my footy to the odd match, and MOTD, and I actually look forward to these things now, where as I had started to dread them.

And those who think they know the players personally?

Personally, i'm a bit disillusioned with it myself. Well, i still love football. Its SJP. No, it's not, it's the pies. They've been visibly going downhill for the past 4 or 5 seasons. Its getting to the point now where i hardly even look forward to my half time pie. Depressing.

Personally, i'm a bit disillusioned with it myself. Well, i still love football. Its SJP. No, it's not, it's the pies. They've been visibly going downhill for the past 4 or 5 seasons. Its getting to the point now where i hardly even look forward to my half time pie. Depressing.

Some folk must think they're better than Greggs judging by the amount who start queuing up for them 5 mins before half-time ends!!

Some folk must think they're better than Greggs judging by the amount who start queuing up for them 5 mins before half-time ends!!

Nah, they're just NEARER than Greggs.

Nah, they're just NEARER than Greggs.

lazy bastards....nae wonder we've got fat fans